Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wes Anderson

Wes Anderson

Just saw the trailer for his new movie Moonrise Kingdom.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1202795.html

As always, Bill Murray looks like he'll kill it. Interested to see Ed Norton and Bruce Willis make a debut in one of his movies. I'm usually skeptical about "outsiders" from his usual troupe making their way in, but they always live up to the standard; see: Adrien Brody in Darjeeling Limited, Jeff Goldblum in Life Aquatic, Gene Hackman (fucking best role ever) in Royal Tennenbaums...

Thought about making this thread just about the new movie, but every time I see something about one of his flicks it gets me going about his others.

Only one I didn't like: Bottle Rocket. That's it.

Whatd'ya think?
    I still call it The Jake.

Hugh Conway Guest
    his movies are really smug

I sort of agree with Hugh, although I'm generally entertained by his movies. He always treads a fine line of trying too hard to be quirky just for the sake of being quirky.

Agreed that bottle rocket is at the bottom of my W.A. list.

I loved bottle rocket. Simple. Dialogue driven. A bit weird. A sugarloaf sticker on the vw bus. Future man.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I sort of agree with Hugh, although I'm generally entertained by his movies. He always treads a fine line of trying too hard to be quirky just for the sake of being quirky.

Agreed that bottle rocket is at the bottom of my W.A. list.
    Oh, I dig his movies. Not so much Bottle Rocket - the dialogue drove me to sleep - and the smug got to me with Darjeeling mostly. But he's still one of the best directors out there and I can't wait for Moonrise Kingdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    his movies are really smug
    I laughed.

J

But in all seriousness (and memes aside) I don't pick up smug from his movies, just a lot of very deeply flawed characters that are lovable for weird ways.

Awesome sets too. Watch any of his movies again and just watch the backgrounds and nothing else. I watched Tennenbaums for the 100th time or so last week and noticed so much crap I've never seen before just watching the background.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Awesome sets too. Watch any of his movies again and just watch the backgrounds and nothing else. I watched Tennenbaums for the 100th time or so last week and noticed so much crap I've never seen before just watching the background.
    Definitely. Moonrise has some great sets and is definitely a very enjoyable movie. Not his best, imo, but bittersweet like some of his older works. Better than most of the shit in theaters.

Not speaking for Hugh, but I think the smug accusation may come from the fact that most of his movies employ really similar tactics and instagram hipster lighting, and the consumer is expected to keep coming back for more. That said, I keep coming back for more because it is done so well and nearly everything else is tripe.

But in all seriousness (and memes aside) I don't pick up smug from his movies, just a lot of very deeply flawed characters that are lovable for weird ways.
    This.

Was supposed to go see it last night, but life got in the way. I think Bruce Willis and Ed Norton would be a perfect fit for his style, the rest of the cast are always spot on. How does this stack up against the rest of his movies? The recent ones, Fantastic Mr. Fox was great, Darjeeling was so so. I probably need to re watch it 10 more times, his movies really grow on you, the more you watch the more you identify with the characters, like any film I suppose. I just don't want to see Anderson change what made his movies good in the first place. They're never going to be hollywood blockbusters, because they don't appeal to everyone, as long as they make me laugh I'm good with it.

Holy crap, did that movie suck. I'm reminded why I despised Salinger, but, even more so, the grown up children who insisted he was a literary genius. Christ, every fucking frame screamed "look at the cinematic genius displayed here!". I sure hope Harvey Keitel got paid enough for that shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Holy crap, did that movie suck. I'm reminded why I despised Salinger, but, even more so, the grown up children who insisted he was a literary genius. Christ, every fucking frame screamed "look at the cinematic genius displayed here!". I sure hope Harvey Keitel got paid enough for that shit.
    That's what I'm afraid of after seeing the trailer. I'm sure I'll check it out (on video) but from what I've seen WA might be getting a little impressed with himself. Hope I'm wrong there.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    That's what I'm afraid of after seeing the trailer. I'm sure I'll check it out (on video) but from what I've seen WA might be getting a little impressed with himself. Hope I'm wrong there.
    Benny's full of shit on that line, imo. Not his greatest movie, more more of the same, and it didn't seem he was any more impressed with himself than anything else he's done. compared to 99% of the movies in the past 4 years it didn't suck.

Benny's full of shit on that line, imo. Not his greatest movie, more more of the same, and it didn't seem he was any more impressed with himself than anything else he's done. compared to 99% of the movies in the past 4 years it didn't suck.

Yeah, well, that's the problem, I guess. Not me being full of shit. I meant the 99% of movies suck. So, many with half a brain desperately want to get all excited about something, even if it's incredibly smug crap like this movie. Then they all shell out ten bucks for the latest Woody Allen same old same old.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Yeah, well, that's the problem, I guess. Not me being full of shit. I meant the 99% of movies suck. So, many with half a brain desperately want to get all excited about something, even if it's incredibly smug crap like this movie. Then they all shell out ten bucks for the latest Woody Allen same old same old.
    So you are butthurt because the kids these days want their own incredibly smug WA same old same old same old and not the incredibly smug WA same old same old you grew up with...

It's so funny seeing idiots who know nothing of film bash one of the more refreshing US directors (story tellers) out there.

Let me guess Benny... you thought Die Hard 2 was a great film.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    It's so funny seeing idiots who know nothing of film bash one of the more refreshing US directors (story tellers) out there.
    At his best (imo tenenbaums) he's a fantastic storyteller. othertimes it's smug cliche where packing the film with crap (soundtrack, sets) subtitutes. not that those aren't interest, it's just a poor sub

*the soundtrack for moonrise was subpar. Or I'm an uncouth who's not a fan of britten and saint-saens

So you are butthurt because the kids these days want their own incredibly smug WA same old same old same old and not the incredibly smug WA same old same old you grew up with...

Something tells me that the market for Woody Allen movies is a tad older than "kids".

Edit: Didn't catch your cute WA double up there. Nice. But, hey, at least Woody was funny in olden days. I think this movie was supposed to be, and I heard some forced snickers now and then in our audience, but that was quickly smothered by a thick coat of .......
    Smugness.
    Last edited by Benny Profane; 07-05-2012 at 06:32 AM.

Heading to see MK tomorrow. I'll go with an open mind (as much as a Wes Anderson fan can be) and hope it turns out well. Hell, it's gotta be better than Hunger Games or whatever shit is out these days.

I agree with what someone up there said re: re-watching WA movies and they grow/get better on you. I think Life Aquatic has risen to #3 on my ranks for WA movies now. Darjeeling is still down there as for some reason it just lacked something. Who knows. Anyway, at least I get to see Bill Murray doing what he does best: drunk, don't-care-dad role.

Heading to see MK tomorrow. I'll go with an open mind (as much as a Wes Anderson fan can be) and hope it turns out well. Hell, it's gotta be better than Hunger Games or whatever shit is out these days.

I agree with what someone up there said re: re-watching WA movies and they grow/get better on you. I think Life Aquatic has risen to #3 on my ranks for WA movies now. Darjeeling is still down there as for some reason it just lacked something. Who knows. Anyway, at least I get to see Bill Murray doing what he does best: drunk, don't-care-dad role.
    Life Aquatic was my least favorite at first, and after years of rewatching it, it is contending for #1.

Trailer for Asteroid City:

The scenery reminds me of the aesthetic of this guy, Dino: https://www.ignant.com/2019/05/13/di...at-in-arizona/

But most likely Dino was inspired by Wes's films a bit and then Wes's set designer was probably inspired by Dino during his research for the film's sets, ha.

Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Trailer for Asteroid City:

Excited, but for the first time hesitant. French Dispatch left me where Darjeeling did after first watch. Then I watched that on a flight and was instantly in love with it.

Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    Life Aquatic was my least favorite at first, and after years of rewatching it, it is contending for #1.
    Life Aquatic rises every year. If it weren’t for my backstory and bias it would be #2 behind Rushmore and Tenenbaums

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

I finally got around to watching Fantastic Mr Fox and was left wanting something else. That being said I’m usually a fan of WA (either) and like the use of Owen Wilson (by either). I’m looking forward to Asteroid City.