WWMD: old college friend pulling some shady shit

Mrs. Tex got a call today from a collections agent. They were calling my home number (where I have been for less than 2 years) asking for my college roommate or his wife. I haven't spoken to the guy in over 15 years, and we are not facebook friends. I did see him on the linkedin "who looked at your profile" page a few weeks ago, but thought nothing of it.

I called the collections company and informed them that this was not his number. But how much farther should I go? I don't think he has stolen my identity, but I'm pretty pissed off about this.

What steps would you take?

Track him down if you can. Send him an email or call him. Say something along the lines of "hey, this is weird, someone called my house looking for you, so I looked you up."

Be friendly about it. College guy will likely be dismissive about it, but stop using your name / address. If he doesn't stop, send him a less friendly message.

Something like this happened to me not too long ago. Not even a friend, but a kid I knew in college listed me as a reference on a loan and all the sudden I was getting phone calls from a collections lawyer. Just ignore. You bear no responsibility. It's shady, for sure, to use someone's name on a credit application, but it is ultimately of no consequence...

That's pretty creepy. I'd check with Equifax regarding identity theft.

At least pull your free credit report and make sure nothing shady has happened.

I agree with above, pull your credit to verify everything is actually yours. If it is, carry on with the leave me alone message. If it isn't... damage control and suit.
    Kansas - First Of The Rectangle States

Fuck that shit! Acquire nekked pictures of this guy's wife and then post.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

It could also be a collection agency pulling sneaky shit. They're trying to track him down, and they found a connection between you and him in the past. So they called you, simply because they're calling everyone he knows/knew.

Or he listed you as a reference on a loan. References are supposed to be a contact in case you “fall off the face of the earth”. He was planning on defaulting on the loan, so he put you down because he knew you'd have no idea where to find him.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Fuck that shit! Acquire nekked pictures of this guy's wife and then post.
    Gald to see the heart of the Padded Room still beats.
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

Quote Originally Posted by Pow4Brains View Post
    GALD dam rite

Quote Originally Posted by bcd View Post
    It could also be a collection agency pulling sneaky shit.
    This/\/\/\

Quote Originally Posted by bcd View Post
    It could also be a collection agency pulling sneaky shit.
    This +1

I had the displeasure of having a collection agency call me late one Sunday night. I have a fairly uncommon last name and that was enough for the douchebag sitting in a cubicle in Florida to "connect" me to a guy across town who had moved and left his power bill unpaid. I wasn't about to give the fucker any of my personal info, so instead I called the utility company (yes, they did answer the phone), cleared it up with them then had them call the collection agency.

Google your friends name. I bet your name comes up before you get to the second page of results.

Might have listed you as a "personal reference" on his student loan exit interview form and now he's not paying up.
    The Sheriff is near!

Quote Originally Posted by Pow4Brains View Post

see, I was going to suggest Der Poopenhausen for the second time today - but now it seems trite.
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

I am on the call list for some loans that a former roomate of mine defaulted on. I honestly have no contact with him anymore but still get a call ~1 per year asking if I do. Generally the operator tells me it's being recorded and is polite but it's for sure a hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    see, I was going to suggest Der Poopenhausen for the second time today - but now it seems trite.
    Sometimes tight, but never trite
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    GALD dam rite
    Aww, give the guy a break. He has Pow for brains, after all.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.