Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Snowblower Advice?

So, I reached the point where shoveling is just too much work in the morning after/during a big storm and would like to buy a snowblower.

It'd be used to clear my driveway (maybe 900-1200 square feet) and occasionally carve out parking spaces on the road next to my place for guests. I live around 6500' in Tahoe, where we tend to get big, wet storms. For instance, we had about 20" of dense snow this morning.

Ideally, I'd like to spend about $500 but I guess I'd consider a bigger investment if it were warranted. I'm guessing that gas-powered is the way to go.

Thoughts? Reliable brands--e.g., Craftsman or Honda? Do I need to spend more? Are there features I should look out for?

Thanks in advance!

I've been very happy with my Troy-Bilt Storm 2410. It starts on the first pull after 4 years of use. It'll clear a foot of heavy snow in 2nd gear without complaint and quite a bit more of the light mid-winter stuff. The only thing I wish it had is the joystick style chute control, but it's not that big a deal. I does exceed your budget by a hundred bucks or so, but I kinda doubt that you're going to find a decent reliable new 2 stage unit for much less.

Sometimes I stare at the models with the big tracks instead of wheels at the local hardware store though...
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I usually try to stand with my back to the wind. If anything it will be more on her than you, and your junk stays warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    I've been very happy with my Troy-Bilt Storm 2410. It starts on the first pull after 4 years of use. It'll clear a foot of heavy snow in 2nd gear without complaint and quite a bit more of the light mid-winter stuff. The only thing I wish it had is the joystick style chute control, but it's not that big a deal. I does exceed your budget by a hundred bucks or so, but I kinda doubt that you're going to find a decent reliable new 2 stage unit for much less.

Sometimes I stare at the models with the big tracks instead of wheels at the local hardware store though...
    Nice. That doesn't look unreasonable. I could see where a joystick control of the chute would be helpful. I should mention we generally have two cars parked in the driveway, which makes snow extraction that much more complicated.

In my experience, there's Honda and then there's everything else. Unfortunately, Honda knows this too; so they're ridiculously expensive.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

^^^ No kidding. The equivalent Honda unit is ~2.5 times the price of the Troy-Bilt. I bet it runs like a sonofabitch but it'd be difficult to justify the extra expense for anything short of a commercial application IMO.

Just be sure to go with a 2 stage unit. Single stage is just a bit better than a shovel, but not much. A single stage snowblower would have left you completely stranded this morning whereas one of the 2 stage ones would have slowly and relatively painlessly gotten you through it. Oh, and cars parked in the way sucks so much more with a snowblower than it does with a shovel. The self propelled element changes things, ya know? You do not want to run into the car's fender with the steel corner of the snowblower in third gear.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I'm in the same boat and spent last summer rationalizing why I still have a push mower. Might look for riding mower with a blade and chains. Thoughts?
    (mini threadjack).
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

bigger knobs and easy to access maintenance panels so you can work them in snowstorms/gloved hands.

Honda HS520A Snow Blower, no joystick, but handlebar to move blowing direction, and no tread...

husqvarna is good.

For the new mancave I got a new craftsman with a 24" chute/ hand warmers and a joy stick chute control for about 750$ on sale from sears and its great I haven't even had to use the electric start IME all you need for a small area

I used the same kind of unit on a big rural drive way and it would take 2 hrs to do the driveway, we eventualy got a 5 ft blade on the quad and the job was reduced to 1/2 an hr

those Honda's are nice I used one with the rubber tracks on the DH course at the Olympics ( you had to wear crampons) but they are a lot of $$

In Anchortown looking to get my career on track
    having owned several snow blowers over the year, i prefer track drives--they don't get stuck very easily, are relatively stable, easy to turn, don't spin the the tires when they hit a difficult patch of snow...I can go on but, i digress. If you can find a snowblower witih an electric start, you will be VERY thankful...it is very much worth the upgrade price, especially if you plan on keeping it for a number of years.

Also, make SURE the gear selector is on top by the throttle, nothing sucks more when you are cold and wet than having stop what you are doing, bend down, change gears, then start again. If you can find one with the chute rod close to the handle bars, you will be much happier imo (see prior comment re.: gear selection)...
    Our world is full of surrender at the first sign of adversity, do not give up when the challenge meets you, meet the challenge. Through perseverance comes the rewards, the rewards that make life so enjoyable.

Seize the day, trusting little in the future.

if you want something, go after it. if you want to screw someone over, look DEEP in your heart and realize Karma is a bitch

http://arcticcycles.com

1200 sqft of driveway is quite a lot - if its really that big you are mad for having shoveled it previously!!!

First question - gravel or paved??
    If gravel you have no choice but a 2 stage machine.

What shape - long and skinny or squareish? - makes difference in how far you need to move the snow.

I'm not too sure what you can get for $500 - probably recommend the biggest troy built or craftsman you can get for your money.
    I don't think you're getting a new Ariens / Snapper / Simplicity / Honda / Toro / Deere for that $$$

I spent a fair bit more than that for a Snapper and the thing is rock solid - would do it again in a heartbeat cos it lets me get out skiing earlier.
    I believe my machine is very similar to the John Deere branded ones at Lowes this year which are made by Simplicity.
    I wouldn't get a track drive unless you know you need one for your driveway - more expensive, clumsier to handle, overkill for most applications where wheels do just fine

There are a couple of web forums out there that i used for research where some folks obsess over these things about as much as mags do about skiing - read up to your hearts content!!!
    http://www.opeonthenet.com/
    http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/

In Anchortown looking to get my career on track
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    I wouldn't get a track drive unless you know you need one for your driveway - more expensive, clumsier to handle, overkill for most applications where wheels do just fine [/url]
    I completely disagree with the clumsier part. I have owned tracked and wheeled. I used them commercially and damn, do I miss my track drive. My current snowblower is wheeled and that thing is the clumsiest piece of shit I have ever used. It is difficult to turn, to handle, to maneuver, and a whole bunch of other big worlds words associated with turning around . With the right track driven machine, they turn on a dime because of the steering controls. Also, with the track drive, wet and/or heavy snow was MUCH easier to clear, the machine ate it up. With the wheeled driven machines, you have to muscle them in many situations where a track drive would have gone right through it.

One more thing to think about, height adjustment. Much like a lawn more, some snowblowers have adjustments up and down for the blower unit. This allows you to clear for example the soft upper layer of snow then do a second pass on the crustier base it is sitting on.
    Our world is full of surrender at the first sign of adversity, do not give up when the challenge meets you, meet the challenge. Through perseverance comes the rewards, the rewards that make life so enjoyable.

Seize the day, trusting little in the future.

if you want something, go after it. if you want to screw someone over, look DEEP in your heart and realize Karma is a bitch

http://arcticcycles.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    I'm in the same boat and spent last summer rationalizing why I still have a push mower. Might look for riding mower with a blade and chains. Thoughts?
    (mini threadjack).

Don't know much about new ones except John Deere is a good name. Guy up the street has a 24 h.p. model with a 40" blower for sale for $7k. I'm old school when it comes to snow removal too. 1976 Wheel Horse mated to a 1968 single stage blower that spins at about 1500 r.p.m. Gotta give it some real respect.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WHorse-after.jpg 
Views:	496 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	108610
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

I found a newer Honda on craigslist last spring. I sold my 16 year old Honda for $500 this winter. I sold it way too cheap judging by all the calls I got. There is a reason a 16 year old snowblower is worth $500. Buy what you can afford, just make sure it is Honda.

P.S. track drive units turn easily.

I have owned three of them over the past 7 years or so. Two Ariens and one craftsman. One of the Ariens was over 50?? years old I think?

I move about 200 to 250" each year, and there are very few people that live here that DON'T have an Ariens or Simplicity. I see why and I would buy another Ariens in a heart beat.

My current Craftsman came with a house we just bought last year and is a tractor attachment. It works well, but is clearly not built like an Ariens.

Have only ever used a Honda track unit and I didn't care for it, but probably me just liking good ol' american made Ariens.

i recently picked up the Troy-Bilt 208cc 26" Two-Stage Gas Snow Blower at Lowes. Has joy stick chute control... which i am glad i opted for. I have used it a few times and it is strong. I even used it to mow through at least a foot+ deep of compressed snow that slid of the roof - no problem. check it out.

Got an 8 HP 28" wide 2 stage wheeled MTD with electric start. Still going strong 10 years later. Not much use this year but it has paid for itself in years past.

If you can wait till spring when they can be had for less.
    watch out for snakes

Don't over think it... which is what most of the advice in this thread is doing. Unless you've commited to staying in Tahoe and plan to have the blower for life, just buy used on Craigslist. You can get the maintenance manual for just about anything via the web and they aren't difficult to work on.

Plenty of decent used blowers within your price range currently for sale locally. I have a similar sized driveway as you and have been using a 20-year old 5-hp MTD that I got for free from Arty when he left town. I do the basic maintenance (replaced belts, spark plug, grease, and engine oil), added chains to the tires (which is a must), and it's run reliably for five years. I only wish it had a few more HP as it gets bogged down on the wet days.

Would be nice to have electric start. Couldn't get my MTD Yard Machine to start the other day, and after about 20 pulls, the stupid pull cord broke! Got it from someone who got a larger, better model, now I think I know why he gave it to me for free. Haha. The guy took great care of it, though, and it looks good as new, but I guess I need to learn some small engine repair before it dumps again. Honestly, though, was quicker with my shovel; just harder on the ol' back.

Thanks all. Good stuff all around. Upon further review, I'd say the driveway is closer to 900 sf, maybe about 30' by 30', most of which is deck built on an slope. So the snowblower would shoot the snow off the side.

Any thoughts on this Jacobsen: http://reno.craigslist.org/tls/2814939812.html, which looks a little old but burly?

or this Snapper: http://reno.craigslist.org/tls/2803951196.html?

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Blaster View Post
    I usually try to stand with my back to the wind. If anything it will be more on her than you, and your junk stays warm.
    Ha...with 'Bad Love is better than no love at all' in the background: if you avoid the wind, you avoid prime opportunities for face shots. I had a few this AM and it was awesome....then went skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    Got an 8 HP 28" wide 2 stage wheeled MTD with electric start. Still going strong 10 years later. Not much use this year but it has paid for itself in years past.

If you can wait till spring when they can be had for less.
    Our MTD keeps on truckin' after 16 years even though I sheared the electric starter and replaced blades more than once. The pull start is working first pull.If it gets super cold, I let it sit in the garage before trying to start. IIRC, 8hp and 26" is good minimum. I probably deal with 4,000-5,000 sf per storm and can bang it out in an hour or so. On a powder day, you want the job done ASAP with no hassles.
    Last edited by Alpinord; 01-24-2012 at 08:06 PM.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Always a good idea to have a spare set of shear pins for the 1st stage on hand when you chew up the Sunday paper that you did not see under that 12' of fresh.
    watch out for snakes

Bump for any updated recommendations.

I can maintain a small engine just fine -- and would rather not drop the coin on a Honda snowblower. Any reason I shouldn't pick up a two-stage Troy-Bilt? (Lowe's has them on sale now, and apparently the 10%-off "movers coupon" can be stacked on top of the sale price.)
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Bump for any updated recommendations.
    yes. buy one if you don't want it to snow.

rog

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    (mini threadjack).
    I've done this. It's ok for doing a lot of driveway covered with a little snow, otherwise pretty useless. The chains will scratch up the surface, the mower will spin the wheels trying to push very much snow, and the blades aren't really very robust. If you've got a long skinny driveway and get 2-4" of light snow it will make quick work of it otherwise go with the blower.