Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    For a big flat space I might look at the 1132, particularly for a place over 7000'. They're usually not much more expensive than the 928 (at least used) but wider and more power. Power particularly helps if we have another big year like 2010-11 (let's hope) and you're trying to throw snow 20 feet up to get it over the berm.

Hondas pretty much keep on working (mine is over 25 years old), local shops (e.g. Truckee Rents) can work on them and stock parts.

Agree w honda. Also buy xtr a shear pins for both stages.
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

. . . and done:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snow blower.jpg 
Views:	548 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	156650  

Sexy.....
    That Don't Make No Sense

I have an Ariens that I was happy with this past winter. Didn't have the budget for a Honda, and it seemed like Ariens was the next most highly regarded brand, so I went that route. It certainly sees a fair amount of use, my driveway is about 75 feet long with parking for 3-4 cars at the top of the rise. It's also gravel, which made for some spicy early season snowblowing until I had a good layer of ice entombing said gravel.

I have one with wheels, and definitely see the advantage to track designs. I am planning on adding chains, front weights and drift cutters for next winter, which should make easier work of the 350-400 inches a year my house sees.

Have had a Craftsman for last ~7 winters...w/electric starter(used a few+ times=great). Engine has run well, no problems, except for a belt change a few yrs ago, but no problem. Got on sale..*However...it's only a 5.5hp engine = definitely light for serious crud...and/or heavy/wet accumulated. ~8hp+(min) gets the job done quickly. The chains would be nice option but for home use..just not needed unless terrain issue. Replacement(hard plastic) runners are much better than the stock metal ones...a lot easier glide.
    Ariens, Honda, Toro seem good quality...probably a little better.

Bump because it snowed and experience suggests that I'm too lazy to shovel -- my driveway and sidewalk are consistently the most poorly maintained on the block.

Thought a snowblower was like a lawnmower for the winter, but apparently it's far more complicated and expensive than that.

So, for western Denver burbs, 200' of sidewalk, 400 sq ft paved driveway, and up to 700 sq ft of concrete back porch (optional -- I'd never shovel it but if I had a snowblower then why the hell not):
    Option 1: http://denver.craigslist.org/for/5362039026.html
    Option 2: http://denver.craigslist.org/for/5353868975.html
    Option 3: both are overkill

Clearly #1 is bigger, but is it too much? Space is a mild consideration -- I have a conventional 2-car garage, in which I'd like to store 2 cars and bikes n stuff
    Last edited by BigKuba; 12-15-2015 at 11:24 PM.

Go big; the cheaper smaller ones tend to burn up the transmissions, which is not a cheap repair.

Sorry, I don't have any advice for you, BigKuba.

But I will say that I take an unexpected and odd pleasure in snowblowing my driveway. There's something very zen about it. It took me a while to find the best pattern and places to launch the snow, but now I've got it mostly dialed in.

Pull the trigger.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Well they are both 28"
    Very familiar with these

Option 1 is newer so what NEW gets you IS: the joy stick operated chute which IME is > the hand crank operated chute, a headlight which is nice, ez turn PS which selectively powers either wheel to give you power steering by just working those little levers under the handlebar instead of rassling the machine around which is nice

Option 2 does have a bigger engine but its older , does not have the above^^ features I outlined

Option 1 will have enough power, maybe a better newer engine that starts easier, my newer M/C might need the electric start when i pull it out of storage in the late fall but once its operational i can start it by hand almost every time even when cold which is nice cuz if you can't start a stalled M/C by hand you gotta drag it back to a 115V outlet to use the electric starter

I should mention IME the older Craftsmen MC that i have used needed the electric start every time even when they were warm

So I ended up buying new M/C much like option 1 with the extra features I mentioned (but only 24") and heated grips(nice!) which I do not regret

SO IMO don't worry about the slightly larger engine just get option 1 which is the newer one
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by BigKuba View Post
    Bump because it snowed and experience suggests that I'm too lazy to shovel -- my driveway and sidewalk are consistently the most poorly maintained on the block.

Thought a snowblower was like a lawnmower for the winter, but apparently it's far more complicated and expensive than that.

So, for western Denver burbs, 200' of sidewalk, 400 sq ft paved driveway, and up to 700 sq ft of concrete back porch (optional -- I'd never shovel it but if I had a snowblower then why the hell not):
    Option 1: http://denver.craigslist.org/for/5362039026.html
    Option 2: http://denver.craigslist.org/for/5353868975.html
    Option 3: both are overkill

Clearly #2 is bigger, but is it too much? Space is a mild consideration -- I have a conventional 2-car garage, in which I'd like to store 2 cars and bikes n stuff
    http://denver.craigslist.org/grd/5352003180.html here good option... not new and shiny but workhorse

Either of those would be great. Their prices seem a touch high to me though. But wtf do I know. I'd offer them both 400 and buy the one that ended up closest to it. Either way, shoveling my whole driveway this morning would've sucked but I didn't have to shovel cuz I've got a snowblower!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

BK- i would definitely recommend the higher cc model (the 9 horse, 28" i think) and then replace the carb and muffler bolts with grade 8 bolts from the hardware store (those engines vibrate) and you should be good to go. have owned craftsman in the past- the only thing to be aware of is that if you need parts from sears other than belts/plugs etc. - they have to be shipped from houston or florida (go figure), can take a while.
    "if you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind..."

Thanks y'all. Going rate on CL for these in nice condition seems to be just over $500, so will take it from there.

This also reminds me that one day I should man up and get a truck

Might be worth a look. I know nothing about this nor can I tell the model.
    https://fortcollins.craigslist.org/grd/5318892346.html

Get the red one
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    Get the red one
    well played sir!
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

PSA if buying new: Craftsman is ~25-30% off on the Sears website, and they will match the price in store. E.g., 26" with all the good stuff mentioned above is in store $1169, online $843 (~$900 after sales tax). Also might come with $100+ of store credit towards future purchases

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-quiet...2&blockType=G2

Pretty sure I'm close to having burned an amount of work time on Craigslist equivalent to the savings one would get from buying used...

How terrible are the cheapy ones with the rubber blade? Are they not even worth the ~$200 they cost? If you were willing to deal with the cord are electric ones as embarrassing to be seen using as I think? Don't hold back tell me straight, I can take it but being unemployed it's about the $$

btw, my driveway is about 1k sf with bushes on top of a stone wall on one side and a house and hill on the other for 2/3 of it so I need to move a lot of snow a reasonable distance before it can be blown out of the way.

An electric corded snowblower sounds like a massive PITA for clearing any significant space. IDK about the rest of you, but I clear out the driveway by going in a sort-of-spiral pattern, starting in the center, and widening outward until I get to the edge of the driveway. With a cord attached, that would suck.

The 28" gas Ariens I bought several years ago (mentioned above) works great, though I think I only used it once last season. The only issues I've had are in keeping snow from sticking -- best thing I've found is just to regularly spray down the surfaces with Pam-type cooking spray (harmless to plants and dogs).

Re: new Craftsman mentioned above -- before I bought the Ariens, I did some research on the various brands, and saw that many of the new Craftsman, Toro, etc. brands are using Chinese-sourced motors. I wanted to avoid that in order to be able to get parts and repair the motor, if needed, and I didn't expect to be able to locate parts for random Chinese motors. Honda uses Honda motors, is the gold standard if buying new, but expect to pay $$$$ for it. Ariens currently uses (or at least in 2012 used) Briggs + Stratton, so I felt reasonably comfortable that I could locate parts if needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Electric blowers are what my friends use to remove 3" of snow off the walk in front of their retirement condos. In Arizona. 1000 sq ft and unemployed? Get a shovel.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    The only issues I've had are in keeping snow from sticking -- best thing I've found is just to regularly spray down the surfaces with Pam-type cooking spray (harmless to plants and dogs).
    Try a cheap warm-temp (soft for rubbage) ski wax? Used to work for me on shovels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    How terrible are the cheapy ones with the rubber blade? Are they not even worth the ~$200 they cost? If you were willing to deal with the cord are electric ones as embarrassing to be seen using as I think? Don't hold back tell me straight, I can take it but being unemployed it's about the $$

btw, my driveway is about 1k sf with bushes on top of a stone wall on one side and a house and hill on the other for 2/3 of it so I need to move a lot of snow a reasonable distance before it can be blown out of the way.
    Read through this other thread about that started out about getting an electric snow blower (as cheap as any out there- single stage always.)

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ght=snowblower

There are major issues with single stage- mostly you mentioned one side has a stone wall, that will require a 2 stage most likely to throw the snow up and over if it is not too high up, or snowblow everything to one end of the drive and then throw it to the side (if the wind is not always in that direction - if it is you are going to have issues.)

This is the 16th year with my Honda 828 track drive with a hydrostatic transmission. I have long since forgotten what I paid for it new, but I always am happy to have it when it snows. With a Honda, you don't need electric start, waste of money. The hydrostatic transmission is SO MUCH better than a normal geared unit. It has never needed anything other than gas and an occasional oil change. There is a reason Hondas are the standard to which others try to compare.