Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Let's talk pants....

Ok, so I've read some other threads and I still don't know what I really want.

Bibs or pants? Been a pant guy for a long time, thinking bibs might be worth a shot. Thoughts?

Gotta be durable- my #1 criteria

Gotta be waterproof- #2 criteria

Gore Tex, Event, other: Not sure- any input on material choice?

Gotta have belt loops and lots of pockets- I guess that's for number one on my list.

I like black. Budget is south of $300.

What are you guys running that might fite my criteria? I've looked at the Pattagucci snowbowls and Rubicons as well as the Orage Gibson bib
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

You're probably pushing budget for anything decent Gore-Tex.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

My Pattaguci powderbowl from a few years ago does not have a ton of pockets, but all of them are more functional than most other pant pockets. Never got wet in them either. and durable.

My Flylow Stash pant, while only listed as 10k has kept me dry in the WA snow/rain so far this year. Also the most durrable pant I have owned, I took a tumble this last week through some rocks and trees, and while pretty bruised up the pants were fine. Lacking on the pocket front though. I got the stash over the baker for the cargo pockets, but rarely use them. In honesty the only added pockets in ski pants I have ever used were the ones in the patagonia's.

Kied is offline Inconsiderate Tree Killer
    Trew "Eagle Pant." I used to ski pretty much only Sessions... great pockets, style etc, but they blew for durability and waterproofness. Then I jumped to Arc'teryx... waterproof & bomber, but spendy coupled with shitty pockets and non existent belt loops.

Trew is a good combo of the two - durability/waterproof/function/syle and shitloads of pockets. Been running the same setup for 3 years and they're still going strong. Only complaint is the sizing - they run huge. Me... 6', 170 lb. and I'm swimming in mediums. The Eagle pant pops up on here fairly often for a below msrp of $400.

FlyLow Stash look like they'd be money. From all accounts, they are incredibly durable. They are made out of the same material as my Quantum jacket and that thing has already been through some gnarly wrecks and brutal conditions this year. Dry as a bone and tough as hell.

The other pair of pants I've worn this year are the Mammut Stoney. Stretch fabric, lightly insulates, ventilation, plenty o' pockets and belt loops. They are very much euro sized, so you'll need to size up. I have about nine days on them; so not a ton, but enough to get an idea. I've gone down a few times, including in some talus and no rips or tears. Tough so far.

I have last years Peak performance Heli bib and I totally love it. Never have to worry about snow in you pants after a wipeout. It's goretex softshell. I got it at a local shop for $250 only, I couldn't believe it myself!

arcteryx would be my first choice. they make bomber outwear. it is all goretex, and handmade in BC, canada.
    the flylow stash pant looks good though too, probably cheaper as well, although being not as waterproof.
    "Remember, if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do." -Warren Miller
    Ephesians 4:7

Currently, Arc'teryx products are also manufactured in nine other countries besides Canada: USA, China, El Salvador, Italy, Philippines, Taiwan, Thailand, Bangladesh and Vietnam.

Quote Originally Posted by Tunco View Post
    Currently, Arc'teryx products are also manufactured in nine other countries besides Canada: USA, China, El Salvador, Italy, Philippines, Taiwan, Thailand, Bangladesh and Vietnam.
    And they certainly don't fall under the $300 barrier set in the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    And they certainly don't fall under the $300 barrier set in the OP.
    On sale they can (barrier is somewhat flexible if worth it)

Might be a little new-schoolerish but I'm really happy with my armada pants, have worn them on many big deep and stormy days for the past 3 years and they have held up well, keeping me warm and dry every time. Can be found for under 300 at many ski shops and online.

First year armada was the tits, last couple years notsomuch.

I have trouble paying for Arc'teryx, while it is nice stuff, I feel like 10-20% of the price is for the name, or the sake of being expensive. I have never found the pockets to be particularly useful either. Their LEAF stuff, if you can get it for resonable cost, is the heat.

As to the flylow not being as waterproof at 10,000 listed, I was skeptical at first, but it has been fine.

The only time I got wet was when I skied a waist deep run with my side vents open. But the issue there was between my ears.

I have a pair of 686 pants. Dunno what their waterproof type is, but I've never gotten damp or wet in them. That said, they don't breath all that well if you run hot and are hiking. Bonus: my new stoic bomshell's powskirt hooks into the same place the 686 jackets do.

I know that when they finally die or I say screw it, I'll be getting the Flylow stash or chemical pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Anospa View Post
    I have a pair of 686 pants. Dunno what their waterproof type is, but I've never gotten damp or wet in them. That said, they don't breath all that well if you run hot and are hiking. Bonus: my new stoic bomshell's powskirt hooks into the same place the 686 jackets do.

I know that when they finally die or I say screw it, I'll be getting the Flylow stash or chemical pants.
    I really like the look and feel of the 686 pants we have at the store I work at. Build quality seems comparable to anything we have, and I wouldn't be opposed to pick up a pair for myself to replace the armadas once they're done.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl May View Post
    arcteryx.......handmade
    Bwaaaaaah.

Flylows are indeed bomber and the cross venting rocks but they're not as waterproof as many other brands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Another nod for the Trew Eagle pants. Only pants that I have owned that have survived being my snowmobiling pants also. Still dry going into season 2 (use them sometimes as much as 5-6 days a week). I paid nowhere near 400 for them either.

I'm really leaning towards the Patagonia Powderbowls. Gore Tex performance shell (thats the mid range stuff, right?), insulated (yeah actually want that, got soft shell pants for warm days), lifetime warranty, the fit sounds average to baggy, lots of pockets and the gray color isn't too bad. Can get them for ~270.

I also see some interesting stuff from OR at a pretty decent price, anyone ever use any of their pants? What about Eider, any experience with them?

FWIW, I had a pair of FlyLow pants not really hold up that well for me, ripped the ass out after ~30 days, so I'm a bit leery of their stuff.
    I contacted them about warranty and they were totally cool about it, but I spaced, never sent them in and am assuming that ship has sailed (past warranty period, I can patch them). So I don't want my experience to taint anyone's impression cause they were decent to deal with and willing to take care of it, I just wanted to explain why I'm not really interested in their pants at this juncture.

OR stuff is awesome, and has a lifetime warranty. I didn't include it since it is either insulated (not for me) or expensive.

I have seen a bunch of chemical pants. And just ordered a pair myself. And I must say, I have quite the chubby going awaiting their arrival. fyi.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Pants are for kids. Try some boxers...

XL green powder bowls worn 5 times

$200 pm me

Try the most comfortable pants in universe today.Nowadays many peoples want to wear Comfortable and casual drawstring pants. So they feel relax during their work .SO Veggieswear provides the most comfortable organic drawstring pants for men.

Love my arcteryx Stinger, more freeride than most and gore tex and on special, I paid $335 new
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I've been rockin the Arc'teryx Stinger Bib for a couple seasons now. GREAT pockets, which is an improvement from their prior models. The Pro-Shell seems to be pretty durable, but the jury is out on that.

Main reason i go for Arc' bibs is for their 'short' inseam. I'm 5'9" w a 30ish inseam and other pants have the articulated knee below where it needs to be. I tele, and the knee placement is crucial to performance and durability of the pants.

I checked out the Flylow Baker Bibs when a friend picked them up and man, they look BOMBER. Wish i could fit in a pair of those...

I recently bought a pair of Marmot Randonee bibs off GS. I'll report back w fit/function report when i receive them.

I'm in the same boat as the OP.

This is what I'm looking most at for next season, with a mix of 80% bc and 20% resort:

Strafe Outerware
    http://strafeouterwear.com/outerwear/nomad-pant/