Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Arrrrrr matey, I'm a Pirate

With all the SOPA and pirating bickering going on, this is a good read.

Do you pirate? Discuss.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...3-why-i-pirate
    Why I pirate
    By Sebastian Anthony on January 18, 2012

Why is the United States Congress trying to enact SOPA and PIPA? Because I am a pirate.

That’s the simple fact of the matter: If piracy wasn’t such an issue for American rights holders (publishers, broadcasters, content creators), lobbies such as the RIAA and MPAA wouldn’t have donated millions of dollars to morally bankrupt Representatives and Senators and the Stop Online Piracy Act and Protect IP Act would still be swimming in the ether.

Despite the terrifyingly hyperbolic tone that some anti-piracy literature takes — that piracy is akin to drug dealing, child slave labor, or crap like that — piracy obviously is an issue, even if we don’t agree on how big or pressing an issue it is. But why is piracy an issue in the first place? To answer that, I have to tell you why I pirate stuff.

Copyright is broken

In its current form, copyright laws are broken. It varies from country to country, but in most Western countries copyright law has devolved into some kind of drooling, malignant beast. In essence, copyright is meant to protect the creator of a work — be it a painting, book, video game, or movie — from being ripped off. Thanks to the force of lobbies, though, copyright law protects the interests of publishers and broadcasters. SOPA, which allows a publisher to point at a copyrighted work and demand that it be deleted from the interwebs, is the creation of lobbies and associations, not individual artists.

Let me give you an example of how copyright is meant to work. If I produce a painting and hang it in a gallery, copyright ensures that no one takes a photo and sells or prints copies. If I produce official copies of my painting and sell them, you are completely free to do whatever you like with your copy. If you want to deface it, you can. If you want to give it to someone as a gift, you can. This is what your money is meant to buy you.

It is thanks to broken copyright law that almost every form of digital content is now locked down with DRM. Games that are buggy, a pain to open, and can only be installed on one computer; cloud-based movies that you never truly own; books and music that can be removed from a device or account at any time, without warning.

That is why I pirate: When I buy something, I want to own it. I don’t want a publisher or broadcaster to dictate how or why or when I can use something that I own.

Digital distribution systems still suck

We have made massive leaps in the realm of digital distribution in recent years. Steam and iTunes are both fantastic, buying Kindle e-books is depressingly easy, and Netflix is awesome — but if you take a closer look, most of these services are still rife with issues.

iTunes is easy to use, but except for music, everything you buy is wrapped up in DRM. You can’t burn an episode of Glee to DVD and watch it on your TV. The problem with Netflix, of course, is that you never own what you watch; like Spotify, it’s a service that you must keep paying for if you want access to your favorite shows.

Then there’s the matter of timeliness. Steam and the music side of iTunes don’t have this issue — because they’re the de facto way of releasing a game or album — but have you seen how quickly DVD rips appear on sites like RapidShare or The Pirate Bay? Have you seen how easy it is to download stuff from these sites? And you can burn your downloads to DVD! Magic.

That is why I pirate: When I buy something, I want to be free to enjoy it however I like. I don’t want to be forced into “borrowing indefinitely” or only being allowed to play a movie through iTunes, on a computer.

Next page: Games, movies, and albums are are too expensive

1 of 2 Next

yes.....

There's a new pirate movie coming out soon! you know what it's rated?

ARRRRRRR!

"That is why I pirate: When I buy something, I want to be free to enjoy it however I like. I don’t want to be forced into “borrowing indefinitely” or only being allowed to play a movie through iTunes, on a computer."

I don't buy this argument (no pun intended). You don't like the way a deal is structured so you feel justified in stealing it? This car is only available for lease/rent so you may as well steal it?
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

Quote Originally Posted by OldLarry View Post
    "That is why I pirate: When I buy something, I want to be free to enjoy it however I like. I don’t want to be forced into “borrowing indefinitely” or only being allowed to play a movie through iTunes, on a computer."

I don't buy this argument (no pun intended). You don't like the way a deal is structured so you feel justified in stealing it? This car is only available for lease/rent so you may as well steal it?
    That's one of the most legitimate arguments around for pirating. It's not a "deal", it is content that is paid for, but they alter it to filter your consumption how they see fit. Why should I buy DRM'ed content from the iTunes store, so that I can only play it through iTunes, on the computer I made the purchase with. God forbid I get a new computer or new iPod and have to put the music (that I already paid for) on there. God forbid I accidentally delete the file, and then I am forced to repurchase. FWIW, Apple is getting better at this lately with the whole cloud stuff.

You can't make the car argument because it's a physical entity. A better analogy would be that yeah, you should buy the car from us, but instead of allowing you to freely choose which tires you can put on based on the conditions where you live, we're going to permanently fix ice skates on it so you can only use it on a frozen lake. OK, it's not a great analogy, but you see the point?

What's a pirate's favorite animal?

An aaaaaaaardvark.

(Don't get me started!)

I may be wrong, but I don't think anyone is disputing the 'wrongness' of actual theft of property. In your analogy, I think it would be more accurate to state that we purchased the vehicle, and that we then take issue with prescribed conditions of sale that we are only allowed to operate that vehicle on certain roads, or operate it in a certain restrictive manner, preventing our use that would otherwise be legally/morally acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by donkeykong View Post
    OK, it's not a great analogy, but you see the point?
    No - I'm with Larry. You can buy virtually everything you can by on Itunes as a "physical entity." Buy the album on an actual CD, buy the movie on an actual DVD, etc. You choose the format in which you buy the product. Just because you apparently don't like the available formats doesn't give you the right to steal it. Personally, I hate DRM for all the reasons you noted, so I generally buy music/games/programs on disc.

That's one of the most legitimate arguments around for pirating. It's not a "deal", it is content that is paid for, but they alter it to filter your consumption how they see fit. Why should I buy DRM'ed content from the iTunes store, so that I can only play it through iTunes, on the computer I made the purchase with. God forbid I get a new computer or new iPod and have to put the music (that I already paid for) on there. God forbid I accidentally delete the file, and then I am forced to repurchase. FWIW, Apple is getting better at this lately with the whole cloud stuff.

You can't make the car argument because it's a physical entity. A better analogy would be that yeah, you should buy the car from us, but instead of allowing you to freely choose which tires you can put on based on the conditions where you live, we're going to permanently fix ice skates on it so you can only use it on a frozen lake. OK, it's not a great analogy, but you see the point?
    iTunes content has been DRM free for years. Find a new axe to grind.

I really don't care either way on the issue, but the author openly contradicts one of his own arguments:

He complains that the artist doesn't get enough money and that the publisher/distributor gets too much. In the same page he then goes on to say, "who am I hurting when I pirate music, etc?" How about the poor artist that isn't getting even the paltry 94 cents he just complained about just 3 paragraphs before.

His next open contradiction is found in the second to last paragraph where he re-asserts his contradiction that no-one is hurt when he pirates, but also that piraters contribute more money to the "system" overall. Fine, I'm sure they do, but he is prideful in the fact that, as he put it in the same paragraph, he funds the "publishers, distributors, and broadcasters more than his peers". Aren't these the same entities that he already blasted 4 paragraphs above for taking too much of the pie and then again blasts in his closing paragraph?

Again, I really don't give a shit, but it is an interesting topic. I'm just not so sure the pirates should have such disjointed arguments as the face for their cause.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    I may be wrong, but I don't think anyone is disputing the 'wrongness' of actual theft of property. In your analogy, I think it would be more accurate to state that we purchased the vehicle, and that we then take issue with prescribed conditions of sale that we are only allowed to operate that vehicle on certain roads, or operate it in a certain restrictive manner, preventing our use that would otherwise be legally/morally acceptable.
    this is all explicit in the terms of the purchase if it is not self evident. If you don't like the terms of a deal (not just price) walk away from it and find one you DO like. Guy's a fuckhead. Sorry.

"I took out a crappy mortgage and now can't pay it therefore the bank should give me this house?" Fuck you.

this is all explicit in the terms of the purchase if it is not self evident. If you don't like the terms of a deal (not just price) walk away from it and find one you DO like. Guy's a fuckhead. Sorry.

"I took out a crappy mortgage and now can't pay it therefore the bank should give me this house?" Fuck you.
    How else are you supposed to get content? Shits only available on DVD or download. If I buy a DVD I am going to do whatever the fuck I want with it and that includes burning a backup copy in case that over priced POS gets scratched.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    How else are you supposed to get content? Shits only available on DVD or download. If I buy a DVD I am going to do whatever the fuck I want with it and that includes burning a backup copy in case that over priced POS gets scratched.
    I really like Fat Tire Ale but they don't sell growlers to go at the brewery so therefore it must be okay to steal it? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    No - I'm with Larry. You can buy virtually everything you can by on Itunes as a "physical entity." Buy the album on an actual CD, buy the movie on an actual DVD, etc. You choose the format in which you buy the product. Just because you apparently don't like the available formats doesn't give you the right to steal it. Personally, I hate DRM for all the reasons you noted, so I generally buy music/games/programs on disc.
    Not that it's very relevant to this discussion, but I think the physical entity side of the industry is going the way of the dinosaur. You are correct that nobody has the right to steal anything, but that doesn't mean people won't be pissed about their restrictions on content consumption. Pirating would go way down if there were some better options out there, and prices came down. And this is coming from someone who pirates some stuff out of curiosity, and then if I really do like it I will pay for it. But I guess that makes me a criminal.

iTunes content has been DRM free for years. Find a new axe to grind.
    I stand corrected. My experiences are from years ago and I abandoned the iTunes portal ever since. Good for them.

Another thing I've toiled over a lot is this: Yes I pirate movies and TV shows so that I can have them on my hard drive and access them from wherever and whenever I want, but I also pay for a cable subscription.

So if you are paying for Showtime or Netflix, then why can't I download the latest Dexter episodes myself? A DVR does the exact same thing. What makes that so wrong? If I get prosecuted for that, I can just point to my subscription to show that I've already paid for it.

I really like Fat Tire Ale but they don't sell growlers to go at the brewery so therefore it must be okay to steal it? Really?
    LOL, what? He said he wants to be able to consume his media any way he sees fit. If I buy a DVD and make a copy I am breaking the law. I paid for the content and I should be able to use it anyway I want. If they weren't such idiots about this shit people wouldn't steal it.

And besides, by stealing music and sharing I have given artists more money than I would have previously because I never would have heard about them. By sharing and hearing about new bands I have purchased their stuff. Opening up people to new bands that would have never been heard before is not a bad thing. Half of these nobody bands would have been bankrupt 10 years ago and due to sharing they actually have a platform. Piracy helps everyone. Sure maybe it takes a little out of pocket of the heavies, but it actually makes nobodies more money. Look at AWOLNATION. You think they would have been known by anyone 15 years ago? Since their shit has been on every fucking youtube video the last few months every single person knows the song SAIL. You think that HURT THEM?

People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Not that it's very relevant to this discussion, but I think the physical entity side of the industry is going the way of the dinosaur. You are correct that nobody has the right to steal anything, but that doesn't mean people won't be pissed about their restrictions on content consumption. Pirating would go way down if there were some better options out there, and prices came down. And this is coming from someone who pirates some stuff out of curiosity, and then if I really do like it I will pay for it. But I guess that makes me a criminal.
    I agree with you that the physical side of things is going away, and I'd certainly prefer to just download everything DRM free. I think the current situation has lots of problems, and I'll be happy if someone can figure out a good solution. I don't think DRM is the answer, but I don't think piracy is the answer either. I don't have a solution, and I have yet to hear a worthwhile one. Maybe everyone should just start being really honest.

And besides, by stealing music and sharing I have given artists more money than I would have previously because I never would have heard about them. By sharing and hearing about new bands I have purchased their stuff. Opening up people to new bands that would have never been heard before is not a bad thing. Half of these nobody bands would have been bankrupt 10 years ago and due to sharing they actually have a platform. Piracy helps everyone. Sure maybe it takes a little out of pocket of the heavies, but it actually makes nobodies more money. Look at AWOLNATION. You think they would have been known by anyone 15 years ago? Since their shit has been on every fucking youtube video the last few months every single person knows the song SAIL. You think that HURT THEM?
    Piracy helps everyone? really?

Sure, there are plenty of examples of artists that are more successful because of the wide dissemination of their music, but the converse exists as well. Explain to me how Adobe benefits from my friend that has every program they make and didn't pay for a single one of them.

Piracy helps everyone? really?

Sure, there are plenty of examples of artists that are more successful because of the wide dissemination of their music, but the converse exists as well. Explain to me how Adobe benefits from my friend that has every program they make and didn't pay for a single one of them.
    Does he make money off them? Then who gives a shit. Some 20 something idiot using photoshop to make his lame deviant art shit doesn't hurt or help adobe.

It's a fine line. When starting my freelance business I bought everything I was making money off of. I actually have bought stuff after pirating it to check out. If I never stole it first I never would have known how much I wanted it and bought it.

Does he make money off them? Then who gives a shit.
    I would assume Adobe gives a shit. He opted to steal photoshop rather than buy it. He gets the benefit of the program, but Adobe didn't get the benefit of his business. And yeah, there was a time when he was making money using pirated programs, but I'm not sure how that changes anything.

I would assume Adobe gives a shit. He opted to steal photoshop rather than buy it. He gets the benefit of the program, but Adobe didn't get the benefit of his business. And yeah, there was a time when he was making money using pirated programs, but I'm not sure how that changes anything.
    You have really cool friends.

Like I said, it may hurt the heavies a bit but in general it actually helps more people than it hurts. And that is a solid fact.

Quick detour: I didn't have access to cable or a digital signal to watch the games. I found a few streaming sites that were streaming the games live. No less than a half-a-dozen times was the page shut down for Digital Rights infringement. WTF. This content is broadcast for free use throughout the country and half those people have DVRs hooked up to record and replay this shit, so why the hell can't I watch it online. 18,000 people were watching one particular stream. It was shut down with three minutes left in the fourth quarter. Fuck you.

...back to pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanos View Post
    Quick detour: I didn't have access to cable or a digital signal to watch the games. I found a few streaming sites that were streaming the games live. No less than a half-a-dozen times was the page shut down for Digital Rights infringement. WTF. This content is broadcast for free use throughout the country and half those people have DVRs hooked up to record and replay this shit, so why the hell can't I watch it online. 18,000 people were watching one particular stream. It was shut down with three minutes left in the fourth quarter. Fuck you.

...back to pirates.
    It's all about your local commercials. If they were able to put your local commercials on the feed I'm sure no one would give a shit.