Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Flat-chelor Closed! Damn.

5ft in 3 days with 70 MPH winds. Have fun up there tomorrow.

DUE TO ONE OF THE MOST SEVERE STORMS IN YEARS, MT. BACHELOR WILL BE CLOSED TODAY.

Please do not attempt to drive up to Mt. Bachelor today. In-bounds hiking is not allowed during these extreme circumstances.

The combination of 5 feet of new snow in 3 days, strong winds and power outages has resulted in extreme operational challenges. Therefore, Mt. Bachelor will be CLOSED today. We will have maintenance crews and essential personnel at the mountain, working steadily to catch up on snow removal, perform avalanche control work and to prepare the mountain for a Friday morning opening. Thank you for your patience and understanding during this most severe of storms.

Current Weather - Snowing heavily. Mid-mountain wind is estimated at 35-50 mph with occasional higher gusts.

Snow Surface - Extremely deep snow. Educate yourself about Tree Well Safety... with the deep snow, Tree Wells are becoming a hidden danger.
    Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't
    help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs...

FUCK BACHELOR!!!

Bachelor: Not even once.

Hatersauce, what? You fellas should count your blessings. A closed mountain due to excessive snowfall is a really good problem to have.

You could but like us here in Montana; all the towns around Bozeman are getting over a foot in town and nearly 3 feet were predicted for the mountains. Neither of which has happened.

Consider yourselves lucky.

Thanks for taking one for the team. Today was the best day of the year here in Sun Valley.
    "I don't feel tardy"

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy page View Post
    Thanks for taking one for the team. Today was the best day of the year here in Sun Valley.
    bwaaaaa...............and still dumping like hell.
    Quote Originally Posted by skuba View Post
    you can let it free and be as stupid as possible

Thread Killer
    I would like to see your point of view but I can't get my head that far up your ass.

If you have never skied there before then shut the fuck up. Yeah it doesn't have terrain that's gonna kill ya, but it's a fun place to ski, kinda like Sun Valley.

What they don't mention is that it's warm as shit too, around 32 right now...the whole PNW is gettin soggy, fuck...3 feet of mashed tatters.

hate/like bachelor
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

spook Guest
    i love bachelor. -- nwx and outback at least. every time i go the summit is closed, so still hoping to explore the backside before the season is over. have four lift tickets burning a hole in my pocket.

I calling Sunday/Monday Summit opening.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    I calling Sunday/Monday Summit opening.
    this is probably a stupid question, but since i board alone most of the time, is the backside abnormally treacherous for any reason? is it possible to miss the catchline? is the catchline doable on a board without unstrapping and hoofing it?

Some impressive photos.

http://www.mtbachelor.com/winter/mou...in_update.html

Spook, not abnormally treacherous, and you would probably not miss the catch line. That said, try to find one of these nice locals to head out with you. I fear trees and tree wells the most in deep nw.

Note: I have done it solo, but was very conservative in the trees.

That 4 pass is also burning a hole in my pocket....

The biggest problem is anywhere from a 1.5-3 mile traverse. Lots of wind ridges also.

spook Guest
    thanks, puma. i'm conservative in the trees, too. i worry more about tree wells than actually hitting trees, though i've close calls with both.

i probably won't be able to stay in bend for the better part of a week to use the four pass, so i have tentative plans to do two quick overnight trips. leave pdx really early, ski bachelor, cheap motel, ski bachelor, drive home. waiting for a storm that coincides with freedom to be gone for two days in feb and then again in march.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    The biggest problem is anywhere from a 1.5-3 mile traverse. Lots of wind ridges also.
    is the traverse the catchline? i figured i would keep working my way toward nwx from the top to start rather than ending up in the middle of the catchline. how often is the catchline maintained? i assume you mean wind ridges on the way down?

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    is the traverse the catchline? i figured i would keep working my way toward nwx from the top to start rather than ending up in the middle of the catchline. how often is the catchline maintained? i assume you mean wind ridges on the way down?
    If you do that you should just ride NWX, much less work than riding all the way around to Summit and the upper part between NWX and the summit usually sucks anyways.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Powow View Post
    If you do that you should just ride NWX, much less work than riding all the way around to Summit and the upper part between NWX and the summit usually sucks anyways.
    i may end up doing that, but i want to check out the summit and the backside. if i'm alone, i wanted to get a lay of the land without leaving myself with a long slog back to nwx if the catchline turned out to be too flat to get me back on the board.

thanks, puma. i'm conservative in the trees, too. i worry more about tree wells than actually hitting trees, though i've close calls with both.

i probably won't be able to stay in bend for the better part of a week to use the four pass, so i have tentative plans to do two quick overnight trips. leave pdx really early, ski bachelor, cheap motel, ski bachelor, drive home. waiting for a storm that coincides with freedom to be gone for two days in feb and then again in march.
    Same on the bachelor trip. Two other friends also clutched. We are thinking a no wives quick weekend, when conditions are right.

this is probably a stupid question, but since i board alone most of the time, is the backside abnormally treacherous for any reason? is it possible to miss the catchline? is the catchline doable on a board without unstrapping and hoofing it?
    just some tree shreddin with some rocks on the top, a few years ago i was having was having way too much on the backside rippin pow and missed the cat track, shitty hike up but the untracked below was worth it

Sppok - The catch line is pretty hard to miss, but with this huge dump you never know. I'd just ask around on the lift to buddy up. We're pretty friendly around these parts and if you see me I'll run with you.

Also, the catchline is maintained pretty well from my experience. You can hit either Rainbow, east, or NWX, west, and you can direct your descent either way giving yourself less of a traverse on the catchline. I'm a skier so I've never felt like the catchline back to Rainbow or NWX was a problem. I'd imagine your first run down you'll hit the catchline conservatively so you'll have to push or unstrap at some point. But, once you've got a run or two under your belt you'll understand how easy it is and try and hit the catchline with as much speed as possible. My boarding friends don't have a problem with it at all, normally...

Ohhh and if they do open Summit on a weekday you can just hit the frontside till it's eaten up anyway......There's a ton of terrain on that frontside other than just the obvious and many don't hit it because they're unsure...The backside takes a while to get totally killed midweek.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapetrich View Post
    Sppok - The catch line is pretty hard to miss, but with this huge dump you never know. I'd just ask around on the lift to buddy up. We're pretty friendly around these parts and if you see me I'll run with you.

Also, the catchline is maintained pretty well from my experience. You can hit either Rainbow, east, or NWX, west, and you can direct your descent either way giving yourself less of a traverse on the catchline. I'm a skier so I've never felt like the catchline back to Rainbow or NWX was a problem. I'd imagine your first run down you'll hit the catchline conservatively so you'll have to push or unstrap at some point. But, once you've got a run or two under your belt you'll understand how easy it is and try and hit the catchline with as much speed as possible. My boarding friends don't have a problem with it at all, normally...

Ohhh and if they do open Summit on a weekday you can just hit the frontside till it's eaten up anyway......There's a ton of terrain on that frontside other than just the obvious and many don't hit it because they're unsure...The backside takes a while to get totally killed midweek.
    hey thanks, Kapetrich. that's very helpful. thanks to everybody else as well. i'm going midweek, maybe the last week in jan depending on the weather. i usually only get over there for a couple days a year and i would say that 65% of the time in the past 5 years i've had terrible luck with weather because i had to commit to dates instead of storms. hopefully this year i can commit to a storm.

Bachelor can be quite fun, had one of my best powder days ever there, and I've had more than my share. It was early April and it had snowed nintyfive inches during the week and the Outback chair had been closed all week. That Sat. they opened the Outback and it was so deep I had to ski the 210 GS boards. I ran into this patroller and we were the only ones skiing out back all day. I skied till I had to beat my thighs with my fists just to continue skiing late in the day, never forget that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Hatersauce, what? You fellas should count your blessings. A closed mountain due to excessive snowfall is a really good problem to have.
    Jesus, no shit.

I have never seen a backside map before! This must be new for this year.

http://www.mtbachelor.com/winter/mou...p-BACKSIDE.pdf

As of Saturday morning they still don't have power (running on backup and it's should be back on today) and the parking lots aren't completely cleared yet.