Rally Against the Talisker SkiLink - Jan 24, 3:15 SLC

A worthy cause and event from Save Our Canyons...

Rally to oppose SkiLink and changes to FCOZ!

Salt Lake County Building
    2001 South State Street
    Tuesday, January 24th
    3:15pm - 5:00pm

This is THE opportunity to voice your concerns. BE THERE!

We will gather together on Tuesday the 24th at 3:15pm inside the Salt Lake County Building (meeting in the foyer inside the main level of the north building). At 4:00pm, we will enter the council chambers for the public commenting period to voice our opinion to the Salt Lake County Council members on SkiLink and the proposed changes to the Foothill & Canyons Overlay Zone (FCOZ).

Despite our success over the Snowbird Mountain Coaster, 2011 was a tumultuous year for the Wasatch and the pressures are mounting now in 2012. Following Salt Lake County's Board of Adjustment ruling overturning the Planning Commission's decision to approve Snowbird's Mountain Coaster, the County spared little time in pushing for revisions to FCOZ, based on the specific sections that aided in overturning the decision. A process to revise FCOZ in its entirety is set to commence in the near future. Piecemeal changes are being rushed through and could lead to developmental consequences for the Wasatch, including the immediate construction of things like roller coasters. The changes being proposed would open the proverbial floodgates for ski resorts to pursue developments. Cumulatively, relaxing the regulations may be detrimental to the health of the municipal watershed, backcountry opportunities, and vistas of the Wasatch.

The future of the Wasatch is at stake, and the future of this place demands thoughtful planning that calls on a greater public process. In 2010, the Salt Lake County sponsored Wasatch Canyons Tomorrow Process concluded. (View the final report here as a PDF - Specifically, Page 20). The results of that study showed that Salt Lake Valley residents strongly opposed further ski resort development and sought to strengthen (62% - pg. 20) and/or enforce existing provisions (34%) of FCOZ!

In addition to opposing changes to FCOZ, we will also be addressing SkiLink (more information here). In December, one of Salt Lake County’s Councilmen, Michael Jensen, testified on behalf of HR 3452 (a bill that aims to sell 30 acres of public land to the Talisker Corporation - the parent company of Canyons Ski Resort - to allow the construction of a gondola that would connect Canyons Ski Resort to Solitude Mountain Resort). Both Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker and Salt Lake County Mayor Peter Corroon came out with testimonies against HR3452. We ask that you use your voice to send a message to the Salt Lake County Council and urge them to issue a statement of opposition to the SkiLink. Show up to this rally and tell the Salt Lake County Council that you want them to oppose the proposed FCOZ changes, SkiLink and HR 3452!

See you at the rally on the 24th!

Save Our Canyons
    www.saveourcanyons.org

what's in it for the common man?
    Ski more blog less - Foggy Goggles

Is there an adjacent rally in support of the ski link? I am a huge supporter of Wilderness and a lifelong member of SUWA. Also born and raised in Park City. However this state would absolutely suck to live in if there were no roads up LCC and BCC and no ski lifts. I fought Park City becoming overdeveloped all my life. These NIMBY's saying we have enough lifts, no more are a joke. I saw it all my life in PC. Alta lift up Flagstaff is another story because it eats up a huge slice of backsountry. The Ski Link takes away Zero decent backcountry (unless you love USA bowl) and would be convenient and cool.

Quote Originally Posted by nbt View Post
    Is there an adjacent rally in support of the ski link? I am a huge supporter of Wilderness and a lifelong member of SUWA. Also born and raised in Park City. However this state would absolutely suck to live in if there were no roads up LCC and BCC and no ski lifts. I fought Park City becoming overdeveloped all my life. These NIMBY's saying we have enough lifts, no more are a joke. I saw it all my life in PC. Alta lift up Flagstaff is another story because it eats up a huge slice of backsountry. The Ski Link takes away Zero decent backcountry (unless you love USA bowl) and would be convenient and cool.
    I agreed until you said convenient and cool. Is having trees cut down 'cool' for the other beings that use them? Heavy machinery with humongous carbon footprints 'convenient' for the already horrible air pollution in our atmosphere? Not to mention the slow traffic when these huge ass gondola making rigs are going up and down parleys and the bcc? Fuck off Jong, why do humans suck and all other animals are waay cool?

I wish bears would start building huge resorts to slumber in during the winter months right on your mortgaged piece of shit property and see how you like it. Or deer come and eat your freshly cut green grass up in PC. Or maybe birds come chirp inside your spoiled rotten kid's nursery so he wakes up and starts his god damn selfish crying.

Fuck it, I feel a lot better now.

/vent

The Ski Link takes away Zero decent backcountry (unless you love USA bowl) and would be convenient and cool.
    USA bowl can be nice during times of high avy danger, or when touring with folks who want mellow terrain. It would be a shame to have a gondola over head.

Hope to be there Andrew. I'm on daddy duty, so we'll see if the timing works out with the kid.

I would love to see the wasatch interconnect happen, but this is not the way it should happen. The shitshow that is the canyons should be at the end of the interconnect, it is a complety selfish business decision that they want the interconect to funnel people to their resort. What would make far far far more sense is a brighton - park city interconnect of some sort.

I think save our canyons are a bunch of kooks, but I am against THIS interconnect.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post

I think save our canyons are a bunch of kooks, but I am against THIS interconnect.
    Those same "kooks" are the ones responsible for all the current Wasatch wilderness designation. Without them, Dick Bass would have already put a lift up the Pfeifferhorn and Lone Peak. Solitude would have lifts up Twin Peaks and Broads Fork.

I'm glad those "kooks", as you put it, had the foresight in the 1970's to realize that people like Dick Bass and Ted Wilson would do whatever they could to put lifts and condos on every fucking mountain in the Wasatch.

Quote Originally Posted by brooks_mcclintock View Post
    I agreed until you said convenient and cool. Is having trees cut down 'cool' for the other beings that use them? Heavy machinery with humongous carbon footprints 'convenient' for the already horrible air pollution in our atmosphere? Not to mention the slow traffic when these huge ass gondola making rigs are going up and down parleys and the bcc? Fuck off Jong, why do humans suck and all other animals are waay cool?

I wish bears would start building huge resorts to slumber in during the winter months right on your mortgaged piece of shit property and see how you like it. Or deer come and eat your freshly cut green grass up in PC. Or maybe birds come chirp inside your spoiled rotten kid's nursery so he wakes up and starts his god damn selfish crying.

Fuck it, I feel a lot better now.

/vent
    wait i thought this was to eliminate a number of vehicle traffic? would the benefits outweigh the carbon impact of the development? just a thought . Im not super familiar with whats going on.
    Webisodes, Blogs, Words and Photos all right here-------->www.chasingsnowflakes.com

Quote Originally Posted by dos bolsas View Post
    what's in it for the common man?
    Preservation of common land.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Those same "kooks" are the ones responsible for all the current Wasatch wilderness designation. Without them, Dick Bass would have already put a lift up the Pfeifferhorn and Lone Peak. Solitude would have lifts up Twin Peaks and Broads Fork.

I'm glad those "kooks", as you put it, had the foresight in the 1970's to realize that people like Dick Bass and Ted Wilson would do whatever they could to put lifts and condos on every fucking mountain in the Wasatch.
    Sorry, I guess I should have just said that I think most of the people with SOC stickers on their cars are kooks.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    wasn't there a fuckin 20 page thread on this pie in the ski rich folk pipe dream
    and you started another fuckin wasatch whinin thread?
    strong community enrichment
    Bro
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

It's Obama's fault!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What are we talking about again?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    Sorry, I guess I should have just said that I think most of the people with SOC stickers on their cars are kooks.
    Sorry, I guess stickers must make me a kook. Asshat.

Quote Originally Posted by brooks_mcclintock View Post
    Sorry, I guess stickers must make me a kook. Asshat.
    No, living in Salt Lake or some crap subdivison and complaining about growth and killing trees makes you a kook.

Prius or Lezburu?

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Actually Ted Wilson was the "kook" that saved more wilderness most anyone and preserved many things before he realized he needed to stack some Benjamins before he died. He has done way more of his share in conservation than damage he could possibly do with the interconnect. Google him. People are right the Dick Bass would probably have run rampant without "kook" preservation efforts. I'm just glad the "kooks" held off long enough that he made Utah a much more fun place to live.

The fact of the matter is houses, condos, streets and hotels ruin habitat. Not lifts. So if Ski Link has a bunch of development associated with it other than the gondola I would be much less in favor of it. Solitude is the ultimate cookie cutter ski village and Canyons is just plain ugly development.

FIrst of all I love USA bowel and the area around it. This is about Talisbeast getting land that belongs to the citizens of the USA, did I mention they are Canadians? The political whores we call senators and congress critters took cash money I.e.bribes for there support. The whole plan is to enrich the rich, and piss on the watershed.
    carpe diem vita brevis

Actually Ted Wilson was the "kook" that saved more wilderness most anyone and preserved many things before he realized he needed to stack some Benjamins before he died.
    Here's a quote from an interview of his........too bad he doesn't hold the same values anymore.

Greed? Yup, in his own words.

I realize the area in question is not wilderness, but it's certainly interesting to see such an advocate of land preservation do a complete 180 on the pedestal in which he once stood.

The Ski Link takes away Zero decent backcountry (unless you love USA bowl) and would be convenient and cool.
    Not true there is great moderate angle skiing up there as well as my favorite place in the Wasatch in the summer (Crest Trail). Just because it's not gnar enough (oh wait don't you live in PC?) doesn't mean they should bulldoze public land. You really think the Canyons and Solitude have absolutely no plans for future development related to this?

So how did it go?

I'm with Straightshooter on this one: its all about selling crappy over-built condos.

But Trackhead OTOH.............no way man. A tram to Lone Peak w/no pisteurs, rulz, signz would be da bees knees