Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Sony NEX-7

Sony NEX-7

Does any one here have any experience with this camera? I know they have not been fully released yet but a few are floating around. The images and video look incredible. Even my father is thinking of ditching his 5d for the most part when this comes out. I dont want a full DSLR due to portability but looking into these, nex-5n, panasonic gh2, and the olympus pen series. Any suggestions on which has the better sensor and image quality for action photography? I searched but only found info on previous models

specs here-http://www.abt.com/product/56451/Sony-NEX7B.html?utm_source=scfroogle&utm_medium=sc&utm_ campaign=froogle&gclid=COTQhOfX2q0CFYbe4AodzTXBkg

in depth review here
    http://www.photographyblog.com/revie..._nex_7_review/

sample photo here:

Thanks!

These cameras are certainly the future, but until they have a FULL set of lenses to go with them, most serious photographers probably won't use them.
    All I want is to be hardcore.

www.tonystreks.com

Lense selection seems pretty decent given how long these have been around, I know the lense determines a lot about the shot

Sony Nex only has Contrast Detection AF, which is not so great for action (relatively slow, not predictive), also only a handful of lenses at this point.
    Micro 4/3 has more lenses, (and pancakes) somewhat faster CD AF i guess?
    The Nikon 1 camera's have a combined Contrast / Phase Detection AF, should be faster, negative is the small sensor size

Conurus is making "smart adapters" for Canon lenses to work with Sony's mount. You'll get electronic control of the aperture and IS but not AF. A step in the right direction for those switching to the sonies.

http://conurus.com/sony

Metabones already has an adapter out. Again, no AF at this point.
    All I want is to be hardcore.

www.tonystreks.com

It's the same one. They worked together on it.

Quote Originally Posted by rogierkoop View Post
    Sony Nex only has Contrast Detection AF, which is not so great for action (relatively slow, not predictive), also only a handful of lenses at this point.
    Micro 4/3 has more lenses, (and pancakes) somewhat faster CD AF i guess?
    The Nikon 1 camera's have a combined Contrast / Phase Detection AF, should be faster, negative is the small sensor size
    Point 1 is on point. For action CDAF, isn't optimum. I wouldn't go as far to call it "slow", it's just "slower" that PDAF. (Basically), all mirrorless cams use CDAF, and it's getting faster all the time. It's also something can be improved with firmware. The Olympus is supposed to be pretty fast for CDAF.

I've shot a little bit with "the 1", I personally I couldn't tell much difference between that camera and my NEX-5. It might be marginally faster, but under the conditions I used it (and that's a big qualifier since it switches back to CDAF under "low light" conditions), I couldn't really tell.

If you really want PDAF with the NEX-7 you can basically turn it into a A77 with this. It also give you access to all of Sony's A-mount and Minolta AF legacy lenses.

With a little reverse engineering, I'm sure that somebody will come up with something like this adapter for Nikon and Canon lenses too.

Cruise over to GetDPI. Lots of folks over there are up to speed on this lil cam...
    This is the worst pain EVER!

Do people really use autofocus?

I never have in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Point 1 is on point. For action CDAF, isn't optimum. I wouldn't go as far to call it "slow", it's just "slower" that PDAF. (Basically), all mirrorless cams use CDAF, and it's getting faster all the time. It's also something can be improved with firmware. The Olympus is supposed to be pretty fast for CDAF.

I've shot a little bit with "the 1", I personally I couldn't tell much difference between that camera and my NEX-5. It might be marginally faster, but under the conditions I used it (and that's a big qualifier since it switches back to CDAF under "low light" conditions), I couldn't really tell.

If you really want PDAF with the NEX-7 you can basically turn it into a A77 with this. It also give you access to all of Sony's A-mount and Minolta AF legacy lenses.

With a little reverse engineering, I'm sure that somebody will come up with something like this adapter for Nikon and Canon lenses too.

Cruise over to GetDPI. Lots of folks over there are up to speed on this lil cam...
    Thanks Lonnie! I was think about the nex 5 also but I wanted the higher FPS and mega pixels for our ski company website and banners/posters once I blow some shots up. That forum is a wealth of information but where are these guys buying their nex-7's? True release date is Feb 17th I have read? I see them on ebay for 2k. I am heading to Japan in Feb I wanted to buy it before then, but maybe I can just buy it there when I land in Tokyo?

The Nex-5n has the same continuous fps shooting as the nex-7.

You aren't going to buy it in Tokyo. The menu's and buttons will be in Japanese most likely. TGR had to buy a camera out in Japan when one of their HDV cams went down. It was a goddamn nightmare. We had to gaff tape the camera up and label everything in sharpy so we know what the buttons did. Nevermind the goddamn menus.

Plus, good luck getting it warrantied if you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by thin cover View Post
    Thanks Lonnie! I was think about the nex 5 also but I wanted the higher FPS and mega pixels for our ski company website and banners/posters once I blow some shots up. That forum is a wealth of information but where are these guys buying their nex-7's? True release date is Feb 17th I have read? I see them on ebay for 2k. I am heading to Japan in Feb I wanted to buy it before then, but maybe I can just buy it there when I land in Tokyo?
    I think it would be accurate to say that the "re-release" date is sometime Mid-Feb (that's when sony users have been told that the supply chain will be fully in place and up to speed). As with most of the major manufactures, Sony was hit hard by the Thailand floods. The guys that have these now pre-ordered and have been very diligent in snapping them up as they, slowly, become available at places like B&H and adorama.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Do people really use autofocus?

I never have in my life.
    You must be awesome then... because I bet 95-99% of camera users mainly use AF. I use manual focus occasionally, but AF is my friend most of the time.

I'll be following this thread in the coming weeks as I'm intrigued by the NEX series for a carry-around vacation and landscape camera. I still don't like the lack of lenses (and the size of the zooms), but I'm assuming options will increase as the camera line gains popularity.

Oh, and that adapter is $400. Yikes.

Yeah, but the body is only $1100. So put them together, and it's only $1,500 which for a 20+MP body (compare it to a 5dMkII), isn't that much at all....

Yeah I am reading its just a matter of checking those sites daily to see if one comes up, as I read through that NEX forum I want this camera more and more, The shots are killer even in Jpeg format.

TC, I'm just going to throw this out there, I know I would LOVE that cam, but I'm on the fence about getting one. Why? Because there are rumblings of Sony making a FF mirrorless camera in the near future (next year or two). That combined with my A900 would the holy grail for me....

Yeah, but the body is only $1100. So put them together, and it's only $1,500 which for a 20+MP body (compare it to a 5dMkII), isn't that much at all....
    True... but compared to new 5D2's that go for around $1700-1800 now, I'd rather have the 5D2. Once you add the adapter and Canon lenses (or the larger Sony zoom lenses), total setup size is similar to a DSLR and the benefit diminishes.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    True... but compared to new 5D2's that go for around $1700-1800 now, I'd rather have the 5D2.
    New with a warranty vs used, but I understand where you are coming from...

TC, I'm just going to throw this out there, I know I would LOVE that cam, but I'm on the fence about getting one. Why? Because there are rumblings of Sony making a FF mirrorless camera in the near future (next year or two). That combined with my A900 would the holy grail for me....
    Shit well, I think I will get my moneys worth with 2 years of use. Will the size be similar? or maybe even smaller by then. I dont know alot of sony shooters, how does the a900 compare to a 7d?( my other choice if I went DSLR)
    Last edited by thin cover; 01-19-2012 at 11:40 AM.

New with a warranty vs used, but I understand where you are coming from...
    No... the 5D2 is being packaged with the 24-105L lens these days for $2500-2600 (not regularly, mind you)... meaning the 5D2 is around $1700 brand new. Prices dropping quickly before the next body is announced, methinks.

Are you comparing the NEX-7 to the 5D2 because they have similar megapixel counts? The MP count is not the reason most serious photographers choose the 5D2 -- it's because of the full-frame look (shallower depth of field) and less noise at high ISO -- that's what the extra cost is for. I think a more direct comparison would be against crop bodies, e.g. the 7D, 60D, etc.
    Gallery || Facebook || Instagram
    Go that way, really fast...if something gets in your way, TURN!

I just made the comparison because it's the cannon I know the most about...

I just made the comparison because it's the cannon I know the most about...
    You're probably right though... from what I've read on Fred Miranda and other sites, the image quality seems to be closest to the 5D or 5D2, and surpasses the 7D or 60D. There are lots of things to like about the cameras, and there are certainly drawbacks too- I imagine each successive version of the NEX series (or a new series) will address those concerns.

I just wish Canon would come out with a similar line of bodies that would accept EF and EF-S lenses.

[QUOTE=smmokan;3513654. from what I've read on Fred Miranda and other sites, the image quality seems to be closest to the 5D or 5D2, and surpasses the 7D or 60D. There are lots of things to like about the cameras, and there are certainly drawbacks too- I imagine each successive version of the NEX series (or a new series) will address those concerns.

I just wish Canon would come out with a similar line of bodies that would accept EF and EF-S lenses.[/QUOTE]

This is what I wanted to hear, that it can stack up against some frequently used DSLR's in action photography. Again the images are super crisp and impressive. I would also like to see canon do something similar to this. I am sure many will follow now that Sony seems to be getting it dialed.

Thin Cover- I'm not sure about how they stack up for action photography specifically... I was referring only to image quality. Like Lonnie referred to in one of his posts above, the AF system on the NEX cameras is lacking for continuous AF which is typically used most for skiing and other action shots. If you're pre-focusing on a spot and shooting that way, however, I think they're just fine.