Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ATTN: Little/Big Cottonwood Canyon Dawn Patrollers

If you dawn patrol in the canyon UDOT is looking for some feedback:
    http://utahavalanchecenter.org/udot_...atrol_feedback

I've attended a few meetings with UDOT/UPD/The town of Alta/US Forest Service about this. This is an important safety issue, and if UDOT continues to have to delay shoots because of this issue dawn patrol on control days could become a thing of the past.....
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

bump for some creative and honest feedback
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

Thanks sfotex, feedback left.

thanks. feedback provided

Bumping this as there will be people getting out for some DP next week....
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

there should be an app for that
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Well written appeal, I hope it works to keep things flowing.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Start chargin these fuckin to cool to ski anything but, the gnar handy andy cashin in on the wasatch Mclain discovered, for fuckin things up and the problem will be solved.
    Till then these self absorbed spancered bloggerz won't get it.
    There dp turns are way more important than udot or safely and efficiantly opening the road for lift monkeys and skibums who don't need to skin in the dark.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I think it's time to seriously consider banning dawn patrolling in the wasatch alltogether. Annoying self righteous ass people who put other people at risk and tear up the hillside, ruining the pow in the backcountry much worse than the heli. Ban it!

99% of smug pollution and backcountry conflict in the Wasatch would be gone if we eliminated this menace.

Dawn Patrolling was cool in the '90's. Now it's overrated.

Considering how much a single DP'er can impact their bottom line, you'd think the LCC & BCC ski resorts would be more willing to work with BC skiers as far as allowing uphill traffic and stopping rampant resort expansion.

is dawn patrolling really that much of a problem??!?
    everyone i ski with is pretty aware of where to avoid while they're bombing. it's not that hard.
    i like skiing, sometimes i only have a few hours to ski in the morning, sometimes the approach beckons a dark start
    but i'm usually pretty mindful of where and when bombing will be occurring and avoid those areas altogether.

If skiing is that important to you, quit your job.

Why should everyone else have to suffer because of you greedy 1% dawn patrollers?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMessenger View Post
    If skiing is that important to you, quit your job.

Why should everyone else have to suffer because of you greedy 1% dawn patrollers?
    who's suffering excactly?
    how many times is control work delayed because there is a fresh skin track?
    maybe this happens on argenta but how often is that bombed? i doubt it happens that often in little which i believe this dawn patrol survey was for.........
    has anyone ever been hit with artillery? (maybe powderturds have dropped something close to someone, but i don't think it was udot control work)

All we want is a system where 'everybody gets a fair shake', where everbody 'plays by the same rules', where the precious powder resources
    of the Wasatch are not stolen from the public, by the 1% dawn patrollers, in the middle of the night, harming the public by their greedy actions.
    We are not against dawn patrolling; all we are asking for is a few regulations which make the backcountry run more 'smoothly and efficiently' and more 'fair' for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightChuter View Post
    you'd think the LCC & BCC ski resorts would be more willing to work with BC skiers as far as allowing uphill traffic
    wtf does uphill resort traffic on a day the road is closed for avvy work have to do with lazy can only hike up poleline or flag to ski the upper bcc n facing goods cause it's to far from the spruces have to do with this issue? This is about dumb fucks on a set time adgenda thinkin they can beat the closures and ski wherever the fuck they want. Udot and the safety of others be damned.
    Yeah the resorts needs to let you dp dipshits do laps before control work.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

If skiing powder is that important to you, wake up earlier.
    If skiing powder is that important to you, hike farther.

Why should everyone else have to suffer because of you greedy 1% trust-funders that don't have to work want a monopoly on the snow?

Hey man I work night shift. Fuck you. By the time I get off at 7:00am, everything is already skied out.

Here is what I propose; just like the heli, from dec15th to april 15th dawn patrollers are banned two days a week. Weather days can be counted and banked. On 'open' days dawn patrollers, meaning anyone hiking before daylight, will have to apply for a permit, in advance, with the NFS, and pay a fee, and register there whereabouts. A season permit would be able to be purchased for a few hundred dollars. Anyone caught without a permit will given a hefty fine.
    The dawn patrol has been exploiting the system, and our public lands, for their own benefit, for too long, No more "free rides" for the dawn patrol. Resorts and heli operators pay to use our public lands, which in turn is transferred and payed to and by their clients. Everybody should "play by the same rules" and "pay their fair share", dawn patrollers included.

In addition anyone who exploits the Wasatch by writing a wasatch guide book or films a rad 'backcountry' pow movie; 50% of of all profits will be confiscated to fund the permit system, as the fees for the permits themselves would likely not be enough to cover the administrative costs.

^^^ whatever you say dood
    troll on

Teton Pass seems to do just fine with night time closures and its not a dead end road, it's the primary road around here. So what's the big deal with a night avy closure....oh right...y'alls a bunch of full time drama queens down there, my bad. Somebody's always freakin out about something in the Wasatch. Every month its about to be destroyed by some new enemy.

Oh that is just great, get a permit, be like renting a campsite at a National Park, tell me you are joking?

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    Somebody's always freakin out about something in the Wasatch. Every month its about to be destroyed by some new enemy.
    I'm waiting to see how SAVE OUR CANYONS tops the last special
    AMRAGEDEOUN newsletter
    IMPUDENT DOOM????
    FULL BLOWN SLACKCOUNTRY AIDS issue?
    I'm goin with chicken little MEGGA hype issue

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Oh that is just great, get a permit, be like renting a campsite at a National Park, tell me you are joking?
    No not like renting a campsite at all. Its obvious that dawn patrollers can't use the backcountry responsibly, therefore we need this regulation. This is not 'class warfare', this is 'common sense'. '

Every year there will be a lottery for a limited number of season permits. Day permit use will be given out on a special allotment and cancellations in a second lottery. You will have to call the office between the hours of 7pm and 8pm three days before your planned dawn patrol excursion on get on the waiting list. Then call the night before at 8:30pm to confirm your permit. those who did not get their permit on the first try will be weighted higher in future lotteries until they get a permit.

It's so simple and anyone can follow the process. The regulations will improve the backcountry experience and preserve our precious powder resources, and make the backcountry run 'more smoothly and efficiently'. Who could be opposed to that?