So, what's the best way to really learn photoshop??

I just got a copy of CS5 extended and am wondering where to start. Seems like there's a million web sites, books and class out there to learn this stuff.. which way should I go?

I'm fairly computer literate so basic functionality should cone fairly easily to me, but the extent of my editing experience is contained within the iphoto sliders so I know I've got a lot to learn.

WWPMD?

youtube

Photoshop Classroom in a Book. It's nice having the reference there for you whenever you need it. They start with the basics and every chapter builds on things you learned prior drilling techiniques into your head. Plus they give you all the keyboard shortcuts. I used it in 2001 and found it very valuable. They update it for new versions to show you new features so make sure to get the newest version. Great starting point.

Once you know the basics then creative cow and other sites have tons of tutorials. Youtube is a great place too as dfinn said but it I think you should learn the fundamentals first. Having someone tell you to use a certain tool is great and all but it would be nice if you knew WHY you wanted to use that tool. Like masking instead of lasso and delete.

Way back when I was a Photoshop phone support tech. We used the Classroom in a Book stuff to learn how to use the program so we could help customers.

I was hesitant to chime in with that advice at first because this was a long time ago, back in the '90s when Photoshop 5 was the latest and greatest, but looks like that's still a good way to go.

You definitely want a tutorial that will help you understand how the tools work and when to use a particular one, and something that starts with the basics and builds on that.

One thing that's really different about today and back then - back then you'd get a user manual with the discs that had tons of information in it and really helped you find your way around the program. Now, not so much. However, there is probably a basic user manual pdf on Adobe's website and that would be a good place to start.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

^^^My experience was 12 years ago too so who knows now. But back then that book got me the basics and the rest I taught myself or learned through tutorials. They still make it so I can't see how it could go downhill personally.

Plus I always liked something tangible on my desk to reference. If you aren't running nice dual monitors, going back and forth from your browser to photoshop to watch a video and pause it or read a step can get very old, very fast.

This is the worst pain EVER!

I would get a subscription to Lynda.com ($25/mo) and do the tutorials there. It gives you access to much more than just Photoshop!

I am a big believer in the Scott Kelby Photoshop for Photographers series, I have the CS2 version and it walks you step by step through real-world applications of the program and problems...here is a link at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Digi.../dp/0321703561

one of the best books I have ever owned...buy it

Kelby stuff is good, but I'm also a fan of Lynda.com GREAT value.
    All I want is to be hardcore.

www.tonystreks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    I am still laughing at this. Hilarious!
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Quote Originally Posted by deciblast View Post
    I would get a subscription to Lynda.com ($25/mo) and do the tutorials there. It gives you access to much more than just Photoshop!
    +1 for Lynda. Although I haven't used it for photoshop, I've had good luck with some of their programming series. Also, PSD.TutsPlus.com has some good freemium tutorials and lessons, worth checking out.

What are you looking to do with it? May be worth checking out Lightroom as well.