Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

TR: Silverton, No Expectations

Planned this trip for my 30th a couple months ago, snow stopped soon thereafter. Snow was firm but smooth, had a great time with a close group of friends. It's what you make of it. Rode with whapworth, springsproject, dfinn, and Tips^Up along with the rest of our crew. Other pics might surface, added some of whapworth's pics as well.

There were Heli Rides

Bus Rides

Some Hiking

This all lead to...

Great Views

Smooth Skiing

Tight Couloirs

Some Apres And Keg Stands... WTF

Last edited by JTrue; 01-18-2012 at 10:11 AM.

Nice, wish I was there!
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Definitely the right attitude - rather than bitching about the lack of powder, enjoy it for what it is. Looks like a great time. Nicely done.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

looks super fun...so what if it isn't blower...those chutes look sick

Nicely done!

So, never having skied Silverton, have a question. I know that they require everyone to have a beacon/probe/shovel, but is this type of skiing the norm for unguided? Is it so clearly and thoroughly managed that you don't have to ski safe zone to safe zone, one at a time?

Quote Originally Posted by JTrue View Post
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Nicely done!

So, never having skied Silverton, have a question. I know that they require everyone to have a beacon/probe/shovel, but is this type of skiing the norm for unguided? Is it so clearly and thoroughly managed that you don't have to ski safe zone to safe zone, one at a time?
    I wouldn't say this is usually the norm, for the most part on the steeper stuff we skied it one at a time. If someone fell there was the possibility to take someone out if you couldn't arrest. I don't imagine a lot of the terrain we skied is open to unguided with recent snow that often, but with the lack of snow and skier compacted runs avi danger inside the resort was low. There were definitely some hollow hard slabs lurking in the backcountry still.

Those ARG's must have been interesting.Probably about as interesting as the last time I was there on Praxis Pows in similar conditions (well - maybe not quite as lean). The cool thing about Silverton is even in pretty sub-par conditions you can still look out over the ultra expansive rad terrrain and imagine how absolutely mind-blowing it would be with two feet of fresh.

They have seats in the bus now? Damn - they really sold out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    They have seats in the bus now? Damn - they really sold out.
    Not quite the same vibe as being packed in the dark in the back of an old UPS delivery truck trying to guess what everyone ate for breakfast.

Nice shot of the most dangerous ten feet of that hike!

Glad you could make some lemonade, even when it's boney that place is special.

What day was that? I was there on the 12th riding as captain solo...

I'll throw up some pics as soon as my kids go to sleep, which is almost never.

Quote Originally Posted by PappaG View Post
    Not quite the same vibe as being packed in the dark in the back of an old UPS delivery truck trying to guess what everyone ate for breakfast.
    Still got it

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    What day was that? I was there on the 12th riding as captain solo...

I'll throw up some pics as soon as my kids go to sleep, which is almost never.
    Nice, too bad we missed you. We skied Thursday, Friday, Sunday at the resort. Toured on Saturday, deep facets that skied like pow in north facing trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Nicely done!

Silverton is a ski area. Just like every other ski area in North America, avalanche hazards are mitigated in bounds, so normal backcountry etiquette is generally not necessary. That said, avanches are possible even with hazard mitigation, and there is a lot less skier compaction at silverton than most other ski areas, so take it as you will.

I remember reading in an article somewhere that the required use of BC gear in bounds there was due to a clause in silverton's lease with the BLM. Silverton is one of the only ski areas on BLM land, and not FS.

I have a friend from the East who wants to go to Silverton; however he doesn't like hiking...is it even worth going ? Maybe I can get him to hike 15 mins to at least open up our options?

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    I have a friend from the East who wants to go to Silverton; however he doesn't like hiking...is it even worth going ? Maybe I can get him to hike 15 mins to at least open up our options?
    Go to Telluride or Crested Butte. Silverton is all about some hiking fun.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by skiracer88_00 View Post
    Silverton is a ski area. Just like every other ski area in North America, avalanche hazards are mitigated in bounds, so normal backcountry etiquette is generally not necessary. That said, avanches are possible even with hazard mitigation, and there is a lot less skier compaction at silverton than most other ski areas, so take it as you will.
    QFT

If he doesn't like to hike whatsoever, it sort of limits your options. Like anyplace else, the obvious lazy shit gets skied out first.

If he is willing to hike for even 5 - 15 minutes, it probably makes it worth the day.

And if YOU are willing to lie to him and tell him a hike is only 15 minutes, it is definitely worth the day. What is he going to do when he realizes he still has 15 more minutes to Rope de Dope #4, turn around?
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

Nice pics - looks like a good time.

Tough one. I've accepted that I can't go to the place since I live at sea level. He's not gonna have much fun up there unless he's from Krypton. Needs at least a few weeks of acclimation. More like a month.

No expectations? You got to meet me! JK, good to tag along with a group of friendly rippers. If you're ever coming towards Vail/BC (or just passing thru and need a couch to crash), let me know,

Looked like a beautiful day in the mountains if you ask me.

Looks like a great time. I want to go back!!

I'd love to hit Silverton one day, then T ride the next and hike Palmyra...

I knew there had to be some maggots on the hill that day. That was my group with the keg in the parking lot. RaccoonFace, too.
    Turning is for when things get in your way ||

Quote Originally Posted by huck4bucks View Post
    I knew there had to be some maggots on the hill that day. That was my group with the keg in the parking lot. RaccoonFace, too.
    Nice! That was us parked right next to you in the Jeep. My girlfriend is the one doing the keg stand.