Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Am I gonna get skunked trying to get to Crystal/Alpy/Baker from Seattle Thurs?

Flying in Thursday morning and picking up a friend that evening, then heading into the mountains hoping to ski Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon. Looks like they might be getting the kind of snow that shuts down roads and/or lifts? Thoughts from the loc's? Advice?
    Chocolate? This is doodoo, BABY!

Also - I did search. But this question is based on peoples' thoughts on this particular storm.

I'm a little worried about the warming predicted for Friday.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

It's not the snow that shuts the resorts down but the wind so check out the noa weather sites on the resort of your choice's snow report page and see what is what. I90 does get shut down for avy control and that is how you get to Alpy and the road to Crystal just gets the flood gate of the Seattle hordes and Baker is probably the most stable except you get all the WWU snowboarder hordes. Do you tour that is always the best for the resorts as you ski early and hike later. Wed is the big snow event day and Thurs could have some warmer temps but you are hitting it during a very good storm event. I'd tell you where I ski but I won't for reasons I'm sure you understand.

I really have no clue and I'm closer to where you're leaving than where you're heading but during epic cycles in the past I've seen the Alpental valley get closed for control work and big slides on the road accessing the area a few times. Never heard of such a thing at Crystal but that could just be because I never spent much time skiing there. I've heard of big slides closing 542 but it seems more rare. Good luck, I'm sure you'll get to the goods eventually. I'm a wee bit jealous but at least NNM got a good shot by our standards today.

Thanks for the input guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Greydon Clark View Post
    I'm a little worried about the warming predicted for Friday.

What are they saying re: the warmup? The models have this storm lining up nicely.
    http://weather.rap.ucar.edu/model/di...fc_prcp&loop=1

We are looking at flying out there on Sat and skiing Sun-Wed of next week. It is a gamble but CO has shit right now and we have the time to chase some pow.

Hard to say how the 5 1/2 feet forecast through thursday will settle out on the highways and lifts.

Cold smoke overdahead blower @Alp today.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Thursday morning looks like it will be a slush parade in the lowlands so figure lots more time for driving than usual. Details here:

http://www.skiwashington.com/larry

"Major League - Powder Alert
    Issued at 4:46 -- Monday

by the authority vested in me by the UN International Deep Powder Commission

For Tuesday and Wednesday/Thursday

We've had some fantastic new snow last weekend, but now it's time to turn up the volume.

The snow bases are set up for ultimate powder (say what, better then epic?) Snow levels will stay low as we remain immersed in this cold air mass.

Seattle and Puget Sound lowlands will also see major snow, perhaps the biggest in 15-25 years (1996 or 1985). Tuesday night to Wednesday night 8-16" possible(Seattle) - maybe more - in the lowlands! This is a classic "overriding" situation; freezing air clings to the ground as mild and moist air floats above the dome of surface air. Until the mild air mixes down, it will be guaranteed heavy snow from sea level to the Cascades all of Tuesday and a least the first half of Wednesday for the lowlands, but continuing as snow - no rain - in the mountains. Lowlands could see rain on snow by very late Wed to Thursday - can you say big slushy mess for the commute by Thursday am? Again, the Cascades will remain with heavy snow.

There are actually two storms, with number two , the classic and biggest.

The Cascades will get 2-3 ft in the next two - three days.

Tuesday: expect 6-10" new when you get there and 4-8" while you ski, filling in your tracks. SL = sea level

Tuesday is my pick. Even though Wed will have more snow - only because it might get pretty intense on Wednesday getting there and avy control.

The main event hits Tuesday night through Thursday morning

New Wed am, when you get there: 10-15" new -- snowing all day with another 6-10" during the day - find your goggles!

SL: sea level rising to only 2000 ft late Wednesday

More new snow by Thursday morning - 6-12" SL -- 2500-3000ft

The upcoming weekend: Both Saturday and Sunday will see epic new snow dumpage with low snow levels, lowering to 1000ft, the epic continues -plan on it

Welcome back La Nina- forget everything I said, just kidding.

CAUTION: have a plan and have fun but......

Be careful driving - expect snow packed ( sometimes icy) roads from your driveway to the ski resort parking lot - check ahead for possible road closures or delays. Consider staying over night at the ski resort before(leave now?) or after skiing . Consider using powder cords. Stay inbounds in safe areas - do not cut ropes or blow past closed gates--uncontrolled area will be very unsafe due to avalanche danger. Also, ski with a buddy - tree wells ( snowy depressions around trees) can be a deadly trap - they kill more skiers/snowboarders than avalanches. Skiers and especially snowboarders, if you get stuck in a tree well, there is almost nothing you can do to get out - bring a whistle, have friend watching your back and watch his /hers. Remember: the mountain does not know (or care) if you are an expert."

It's the wind that really kills stuff here.

Plus there's forecasts for significant warming Friday which could goo stuff, so bring your a-game.

Use this to scan for current (NWAC weather data->telemetry) and 3 day forecasts.
    http://www.nwac.us/forecast/weather/current/

Strategery: If freezing level for central cascades is below 3500, hit Alpental.
    If it's above 3500, but below 5k, either Stevens or Crustal is the call, but Crustal gets worse warming. If the warming is really bad, try Baker.

And damn fatnose, I would have loved to make turns with you after all these years, but Thurs-Saturday will be busy for me, then I have a date with Switzerland.

Hook up w/Mofro for Alpie, he'll scare you.

Crustal was awful today: it was too cold and the damn snow was so damn light itr blew up in your face and didn't really fill anything in. WE like snow with some body and b00b around here.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Man I am stoked, and feel like I have really no idea what to expect. What should I bring for skis - Fat, softish skis (I-Rocks), or Stiffer, less fat (D-Sender or Rossi Sickle)? Touring gear a must? School a lowly Coloradan on the deal in skiing the PNW for the first time!

Just looking at some of you guys' past TR's makes me wonder if we should take a plane or a UHaul!

Bring your rockered skis, you'll like them in the heavy pow.

Baker is probably the most underrated mountain I've been to.....SUPER SICK.

oooh that sounds fun. Using AA miles to seattle?
    Drive slow, homie.

Quote Originally Posted by Dside11-11 View Post
    Man I am stoked, and feel like I have really no idea what to expect. What should I bring for skis - Fat, softish skis (I-Rocks), or Stiffer, less fat (D-Sender or Rossi Sickle)? Touring gear a must? School a lowly Coloradan on the deal in skiing the PNW for the first time!
    Fat softish if it stays soft. Bring touring gear.

I guess it's no surprise that I've always thought that Baker is the most overrated PNW ski area.

If open, left angle trees at Crystal will be money. That's all I gotta say.

Always be ready to tour.
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post

I guess it's no surprise that I've always thought that Baker is the most overrated PNW ski area.

Haha. I was gonna mention that baker has the most really good skiers and snow boarders per square inch of any ski area. Which by overcrowding makes it very overrated.
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

bring your passport for the great white north if the WAWA forecast gets too warm.

Fat softish if it stays soft. Bring touring gear.

Well then, perhaps the PNW as a whole is totally underrated.

Just pulled the trigger. This is going to be so sweet!

GIT SOME!
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Crustal was awful today: it was too cold and the damn snow was so damn light itr blew up in your face and didn't really fill anything in. WE like snow with some body and b00b around here.
    You should have been touring then. Today was sooo much better than yesterday! Epic blower face shots all day long with a massive cirque all to ourselves!
    Shameless spam: Trip reports and Gear reviews and if you want to support what I do follow me on Instagram @KyleMiller411

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Miller View Post
    You should have been touring then. Today was sooo much better than yesterday! Epic blower face shots all day long with a massive cirque all to ourselves!
    Well, the cold did keep the crowds inside, so there were no liftlines.

and dashman, didn't mean to step on any toes. But as blurred infurrs, there's a lot of underated ripping around up here.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 01-17-2012 at 07:04 AM.

I'll be banging around xtal over the weekend warming or no. Hit me up if you want to meet up.