TR: Southwest Couloir, Middle Teton 1/12/12

So after a short CO roadtrip Simb and I returned to Jackson to find a much more stable (but not ideal) snowpack so we decide it was time to try something a little bigger then our recent missions. I had climbed and skied the SW Couloir on the Middle last year in a white out and was itching to get back with better weather. We made plans to meet at 430 the next day. Simb also invited Chance, another Teton skier.

We left the Bradley/Taggart TH at 5am and I almost instantly felt like shit. The quick pace Simb and Chance set didnt help matter so I sucked it up and stayed at the back of the group, dreaming of my bed and other places I'd rather be at 5am. Right from the start of the climb into Garnet we had issues. Chance set a steep skin track that, combined with the cold made Simb's skin glue stop sticking. We quickly fixed it with a ski strap and kept moving. About an hour or so into the climb I finally woke up enough to realize we were not where we wanted to be and we were close, if not right on the summer trail. The sun rose as we made the traverse to the meadows roughly following the summer route.

The Middle Teton

Photo: Simb

As the sun came up and the clouds came in and I began to have flashbacks from my last trip to the SW Couloir

We talked about the clouds breifly and decided to push on to at least to the base of the Ellingwood Couloir for some beta and that if the weather moved in anymore we would just ski The Cave and call it a day.

As we neared the base of the Ellingwood the clouds broke. Stoke levels rose and we skinned the last mile or so to the base of the Southwest Couloir.

We transitioned behind a windlip and some rocks. From this point until the upper reached of the couloir we would contend with high winds and blowing snow that almost made us pull the plug.

We climbed up from our slightly protected area

Until we reached the upper part of the couloir where we decide to take lunch and ditch skis and snowboards since the top wasnt "in" for skiing but looked like a fun moderate mixed climb to the summit.

Not a bad lunch spot

From our lunch spot the climbing was pretty straight forward to the summit of the Middle Teton.

Simb nears the summit of the Middle Teton

We summited around 2 and took in the views

Chance on/near the summit

Photo:Simb

Simb and I on the summit

We made quick work of the downclimb back down to our skis and snowboard then headed out. The snow was windeffected pow with some firmer stuff mixed in.

Chance

Simb

_Aaron_

We were rewarded for our efforts with pow turns on the north facing wall of Garnet Canyon.

Simb

As we reached the headwall of the canyon the sun was setting telling me the skin out would be via headlamp

Id like to thank Chance and Simb for today since without them breaking the majority of the trail I most likely would not have made it. Id also like to say congratulations to Simb on his first (and Im sure not last) Teton Summit!
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

Sweet TR as always buddy, wouldn't have been to half of the cool places I've been to in the tetons so far without you! Onwards, Upwards!
    If you're being rad and nobody's around to see it, are you really being rad?

www.simonblide.blogspot.com

Nice TR as usual bud, sitting here and reading this while waiting for the Miss to get off work so we can head up is getting me all antsy 'n shit

sweet...thanks for sharing!

Strong work, gentlemen! Thanks for putting this up, it made me happy.

you guys are killing it- nice work Aaron!

*I can definitely relate to the early morning wishing you were still in bed on a big park mission. The summit always makes it worth it though!

Good work boys.

Jesus, do you ever post any stoke that's not way above par?!

Killer stuff!!!
    go Go GO!

23-24: 63. 22-23: 56. 21-22: ?. 20-21: 10+?. 19-20: 79. 18-19: 86! 17-18: 80. 16-17: 56. 15-16: 40. 14-15: 33. 13-14: 56ish. 12-13: 51. 11-12: 65. 10-11: 69. 09-10: 65.

Wow...just wow

Two thumbs up! Well above average!

Quote Originally Posted by patrickski View Post
    you guys are killing it- nice work Aaron!

*I can definitely relate to the early morning wishing you were still in bed on a big park mission. The summit always makes it worth it though!
    Thanks Pat. You want to come with one of these times?
    Quote Originally Posted by akokskis View Post
    Jesus, do you ever post any stoke that's not way above par?!

Killer stuff!!!
    Thanks man. The offer for a tour still stands if you make out this way this year.
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

Nicely done guys.
    http://zpski.blogspot.com/

Edit less. Hobo more.

Great lunch spot! Like that afterglow (post-sunset) view across the valley.
    Thnx 4 sharing.
    when not on the snow what else do i do...

http://www.jatho-craftsman.blogspot.com/

Awesome, man! Way to get after it!