Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Denver hotel versus airport sleeping

Hey, I'm flying through Denver to SLC for the Maggot Camp in March. I have a 12 hour overnight at DIA and was wondering if it is worth getting a hotel or if I should just crash at DIA. What does the horde recommend?
    Move along nothing to see here.

Quote Originally Posted by weibo View Post
    Hey, I'm flying through Denver to SLC for the Maggot Camp in March. I have a 12 hour overnight at DIA and was wondering if it is worth getting a hotel or if I should just crash at DIA. What does the horde recommend?
    Dependent on times I would hang out in Denver or get a room at DIA. I am sure mags will have ideas of what to do in town.

Where the fuck are you flying from that you have a 12 hr layover?

There are a million little places to hide and sleep peacefully in the airport.

I just picked a random date in March and the La Quinta Inn at the airport came back at $79.00. I'd pay the money for a bed myself.

see if you can hook up with a flight attendant and get to "sleep" in one of those little lounge rooms that they probably did away with in the early 1980's... actually, DIA may never have had those rooms at all?!?
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Only secret underground gas chambers at DIA

If its say an 8p to 8a layover, room is totally worth it.

I would get a room....lots of options near the airport, and you can probably get a free shuttle to/from.

I've slept at DIA before. I hadn't slept the night before my flight, so I guess I could have slept well anywhere, but I just went to where the ticketing was. No one was around until 6 am or so, so no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I just picked a random date in March and the La Quinta Inn at the airport came back at $79.00. I'd pay the money for a bed myself.
    This is actually a pretty good option, the La Quinta has a free shuttle to and from DIA. How did you end up with a 12 hour lay over? You know you can drive from Denver to SLC in about 8.5-9 hours?

Fuck you need a better travel agent. In the united terminal upstairs next to the Cantina there are some cubicals for bussiness travelers to work, that would be a good base, as well as taking full rows of seat just downstairs by a gate that is not getting any flight action. Good grinds up there too.

room is definitely worth it. I've stayed overnight at DIA hotels before, can get a decent one in the 60-80 dollar range pretty easily. all the tower road hotels have 24 hr free shuttles from the airport. there are like 5 or 6 all on tower road within a mile, with a couple of restaurants. way better sleep than the shitty benches in airport

At the far end of several terminals (C for sure, possibly A and B) there is "additional seating" on upstairs levels that almost never gets used. If it is a slow time of day, you'd probably be able to pass out and not be bothered.

12 hours isn't really enough time to justify coming out to Boulder, but if you did want to go that way you could crash my place. It's $30 and 3 hours RT by bus, more expensive than a hotel room RT by shuttle.

Drink and sleep it out. Consider it pre-training for the camp, and you'll get to meet some cool folks. Planes are for sleeping, airports are for schralping.

I'm with makers here. I've slept in a few and I'd definitely say that DIA would be pretty ok if you came prepared (back packing pillow would be perfect). I think the worst was Las Vegas, though I can't really remember why.

Airport sleeping is great. I've spent days in airports. True no man's land.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

A 5 or 6 hour layover, I'd just say find a quiet corner and some clean carpeted floor space and sleep. But unless you're justed totally bushed, airport sleeping is less sleeping and more a long series of being woken up by everything from lights to TSA to vacuum cleaners.

And those vacuum cleaner guys seem to know EXACTLY when you've just gone to sleep.

12 hours??? Do your body a favor and get a quick bus or express to a cheap motel...get some grub and grab some COMFORTABLE ZZZZZs.

--
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

How about wi-fi all the way and $80 den to slc. greyhound

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

The 12 hour layover is on the way back get in at 9:35 pm and leave at 9 am. Going through to Calgary so the layover was either in DIA or get in to Calgary at 1:00 am and find somewhere there to crash, I have a 5 hour drive home once I'm in Calgary. I chose the routing, points Calgary to Denver, so I could get a full day in at Alta or Snowbird before leaving Monday evening.
    Move along nothing to see here.

Obviously it's not as important on the way back but I'd still shell out the short coin for a comfy bed.

I've spent the night at Reno, I packed an Aero Bed for that trip as I needed it later in the trip as well. I slept between the inner and out doors of the airport because the damn TSA alerts were keeping me awake. Only about 8 hours though.

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post
    Airport sleeping is great. I've spent days in airports. True no man's land.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Airport sleeping scks....I spent 6 hours (11pm till the next day) and it blew. Unless you have some awesome noise cancelling headphones then I say spend a few bucks.

I'm a pussy though, I wake up to a light breeze blowing.

Quote Originally Posted by jmars View Post

I'm a pussy though, I wake up to a light breeze blowing.
    Drew Brees? Who knew? ....nttawwt

Tail end of an ordeal like this you are going to be feeling pretty used up. I'm guessing you'll be kicking yourself in the head while your trying to get comfy at gate 37.

Why not make a reservation at a cheap airport hotel that has a loose cancellation policy. That way you can make your mind up that day (many will allow cancellation day of before 4:00 pm w/no penalty).
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!