Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 39 40 41 42 43 44
Results 1,076 to 1,094 of 1094
    Last, I thought the boot lower is called the last.

Anyways, my mercury have slack. Looks like it's both from the pivot and the locking mechanism. I can score some dirt cheap hojis for parts. Is the cuff pivot compatible and better or should I just get the B&D?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    Last, I thought the boot lower is called the last.......
    The lower part of a ski boot is called the clog and the upper is the cuff.

A last is the shaped three dimensional form around which the clog is molded (or moulded, depending upon your version of English).

Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    Last, I thought the boot lower is called the last.

Anyways, my mercury have slack. Looks like it's both from the pivot and the locking mechanism. I can score some dirt cheap hojis for parts. Is the cuff pivot compatible and better or should I just get the B&D?
    Duno how you would do that, wouldn't you be destroying the rivets getting them out ?

but it sounds like the whole facking boot might be pretty worn out, since you know exactly what size you take if i were you, I would just look around for another Vulcan that wasnt so worn out, you could probably find a slightly used boot for 250$, or think about a whole nuther boot like the Hoji ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Do the hojis fit like a vulcan? Vulcans fit me pretty well with a tour wrap. Heel, cuff, instep are perfect and the forefoot has a tiny bit of extra space that im perfectly fine with

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

I tried on pair of the 115's ( cuz of small hAZN foot) and i think they would work

For reference I am a total Mercury/Vulcan Fanboi, I have a high arch/ narrow lowvolume heel & ankle with a wide flat forefoot, pwerwrap avec sole foot bed

They are in great shape otherwise. If the hoji uses a rivet I will just get the B&D pivots. Are the B&D pivots worth it? The mercuries not only fit me perfectly, but they also have the ideal stiffness.

Rivets in the hojis. Get the B&d if you want to keep your mercuries going. But if your cuff or lower is ovalized than they might not change much. I find the hoji free110 fit me better than the Vulcan ever did with a much better flex pattern. Never owned the mercuries but I think they would have been better for me than the Vulcan in retrospect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I tried on pair of the 115's ( cuz of small hAZN foot) and i think they would work

For reference I am a total Mercury/Vulcan Fanboi, I have a high arch/ narrow lowvolume heel & ankle with a wide flat forefoot, pwerwrap avec sole foot bed
    Good to know. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by skisurfmirth View Post
    Rivets in the hojis. Get the B&d if you want to keep your mercuries going. But if your cuff or lower is ovalized than they might not change much. I find the hoji free110 fit me better than the Vulcan ever did with a much better flex pattern. Never owned the mercuries but I think they would have been better for me than the Vulcan in retrospect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TGR Forums mobile app
    I had Mercury and then got Vulcan stupid cheap when Dynafit announced the product was going sunset

which actualy didnt happen for a few more years cuz dynafit kept fucking up

I just swapped the pwer wraps from Mercuy to Vulcan and went touring

IME the Vulcan shell is VERY slightly tighter but they are virtualy the same boot

BnD pivots are 100% worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

What is the difference between the vulcan and TLT kit, and which one works with the mercury?

I got the BnD pivots. I had slack, but after taking the rivets off it the cuff seems to be in good shape. I had to press the t-nuts in. No way I can get the the delrim bushings in. Should I ream the cuff to get the delrin bushings in or should I wait for the cuff to wear down on it's own?

So, in my desperation to find boots to replace my LupoHawx, I tracked down some Vulcans. Super impressed with the fit in a size up now that my feet have got shittier and longer.

First impression: These buckles are stupid. Of course I'm going to mod. Maybe remove lowest buckle. My modded Dalbello tongue makes the boot feel taller. But more importantly...

Did anyone ever separate the functionality of the top buckle? It is a pain in the ass to close, feels like it will break soon and leave me stranded, and I want to loosen my boots while in ski mode. It seems easy enough to put a buckle on that would solely tighten the boot. Then remove the bail on the top buckle so it would only serve as a ski/walk lever.

Will the walk mode fall out without tension? I'm envisioning something that would clip it in. Did anyone ever do this and avoid this silly buckle arrangement?

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBC View Post
    So, in my desperation to find boots to replace my LupoHawx, I tracked down some Vulcans. Super impressed with the fit in a size up now that my feet have got shittier and longer.

First impression: These buckles are stupid. Of course I'm going to mod. Maybe remove lowest buckle. My modded Dalbello tongue makes the boot feel taller. But more importantly...

Did anyone ever separate the functionality of the top buckle? It is a pain in the ass to close, feels like it will break soon and leave me stranded, and I want to loosen my boots while in ski mode. It seems easy enough to put a buckle on that would solely tighten the boot. Then remove the bail on the top buckle so it would only serve as a ski/walk lever.

Will the walk mode fall out without tension? I'm envisioning something that would clip it in. Did anyone ever do this and avoid this silly buckle arrangement?
    I skied in the Mercuries for several seasons. Buckles definitely an issue, as always awkward. I broke both the lower and middle ones, but not the top, which I imagine would (given how integrated into securing ski mode) require some creative modifications to change. Just carry a Titan strap for backup and live with it? Quite skiable without the bottom buckle, the power strap, and even the tongues. Hoji Frees are a step up in skiing performance and simplicity.

the buckles worked fine for me on both Mercury & Vulcan I could leave the buckle latched and still on the ladder or just flapping in the breeze and there were no problems SO no problems with buckles on either boot

getting the tongue all tucked away properly so it didnt get dented by the shell was always a hassle and of course the palau liners suck dead goats, otherwise Vulcan was a powerful boot with a lot of ROM,

Vulcan product cycle actualy had to go several more years because Dynafit fucked up on the Beast and the Khion their follow on big boots

For the top buckle flex forward then close the boot. Simply torquing it would result it in getting broken.

The top buckle also got broken by sleds, gondis, hooking on things in general so I always tried to put my pant leg cuff over it if I could. Even if it breaks- like Kootenay skier said you can jury rig a field fix with cord.

I saw a few people replace the power strap with a voile strap. Supposedly that helped with flex

For the bottom buckle I left it so loose that it could have been removed but I never bothered.

yeah ^^ be careful walking down stairs and chewing gum at the same time,

if you do it at an angle you could snap the top buckle when you hit the step with it

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the buckles worked fine for me on both Mercury & Vulcan
    Same here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

The B&D cuff pivots ruined the boots. The hardware between the lower shell and cuff move the cuff out a bit. That gap allows the cuff to flex and bulge near the pivot. Maybe the B&D pivots work well for the carbon Vulcan cuff, but definately not for Mercury's.