Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    now hair and beard = same lenght
    he looks in great shape, anyway :-)

A few info...

The fact that Eric didn't skied yet on the Vulcan is not a surprise, it was clear from the first day. He's 25,5 and all ski boots in the planet are developed in 27,5 and, once finished the other sizes are replicated. Two ski partners of him (pro freeriders) are skiiing on the boots and giving the feedbacks for the final steps of developement. Why do you think all people on ski boots and footwear developement are 27,5? ... that's the only way to try your products.
    The imput of Eric have been very important, especially because he's pushing us on making a boot for the skiers like him and not just a compromises like most of companies try to do to make more customers happy... that mean the Vulcan, once finished will be too stiff for most of the skiers. By the way the Mercury will be more appropriate or the Vulcan without tongue as well. Don't forget that the removable tongue system is not only optimizing climbing/skiing but alow as well to chose the forward flex in base of snow conditions, skis, weight etc.
    As regards technologies all patents and solution on the Vulcan are part of other existing models and a bigger boot out of the TLT5 concept is in plan to exist since 2009 ;-)

marshalolson, where did you got the boots you tried? there are not many pairs around... on this blog, the only I know which has a pair is Gilles (I gave him a pair) ... by the way whatever you tried is not the final boot... we have only proto around. What will come will have 20% stiffer tongue/shell, different carbon cuff structure and TOTALLY different liner with a very different fit and some smaller details on buckles etc. fixed.
    Between protos and production there is a hell of difference! ;-) ... and by the way, before we deliver Eric will have skied on his 25,5 as well.

Ciao

Quote Originally Posted by Federico View Post
    by the way whatever you tried is not the final boot... we have only proto around. What will come will have 20% stiffer tongue/shell, different carbon cuff structure and TOTALLY different liner with a very different fit and some smaller details on buckles etc. fixed.
    Between protos and production there is a hell of difference! ;-)
    There were certainly some minor buckle issues with the boots at SIA but I chalked it up to it being a prototype, glad to see those will be tweaked. 20% stiffer is crazy to hear, as it was pretty stiff already.

How is the fit changing? I really liked the super-snug heel/midfoot and roomy toebox, I hope that doesn't go away.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Between protos and production there is a hell of difference! ;-) ... and by the way, before we deliver Eric will have skied on his 25,5 as well.

Ciao
    Federico, thanks for all the good info you have provided on dynafit stuff, appreciated!

A quick question, will ANY of the new stiff boots come in smaller sizes, 24-24.5??
    I belong to the minority of guys that have fucking tiny feet and Is struggling to find stiff & small boots. And will the last be proportianally narrower in the small sizes as well?

The TLT5 that I tried made me cry, the last is prolly 90mm wide in 24.5...and my foot is 103mm...

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

@meathelmet are you sure your foot isn't a peg-leg with a rubber pad on the bottom? 103mm and 24.5 is ridiculous

^^^ No kidding. Not to make light of your feet MH but you are a fucking mutant. Have you considered amputation?

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    ^^^ No kidding. Not to make light of your feet MH but you are a fucking mutant. Have you considered amputation?
    Thanks guys, already feeling better!!!
    And shouldnt I be considering some kind of enlargement, not an amputation...

Thank god BD have quadrants, cant tell you what kind of problems I have had with skiboots... Would be nice to get some stiffish superlight boots though, and that seems to be next to impossible..

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

In depth video about the Vulcan by Federico. Time to start saving now....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiqAnmg-VtQ

me want 234
    watch out for snakes

marshalolson, where did you got the boots you tried? there are not many pairs around... on this blog, the only I know which has a pair is Gilles (I gave him a pair) ... by the way whatever you tried is not the final boot... we have only proto around. What will come will have 20% stiffer tongue/shell, different carbon cuff structure and TOTALLY different liner with a very different fit and some smaller details on buckles etc. fixed.
    hey federico, i only tried them on at OR (i was talking to you & drew, at the time )
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Noooo please don't watch that video... it's terrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ... I look more idiot than wha I am... :-(

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    In depth video about the Vulcan by Federico. Time to start saving now....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiqAnmg-VtQ

Wink

Noooo please don't watch that video... it's terrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ... I look more idiot than wha I am... :-(

No worries, we will only use it to blackmail you later for deals on gear.
    watch out for snakes

http://www.earlyups.com/featured/gear-dynafit-vulcan/ Everything you guys want to know...I hope!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyJim View Post
    http://www.earlyups.com/featured/gear-dynafit-vulcan/ Everything you guys want to know...I hope!
    Niiice work on this dood! I know that I want these BAD after slipping my feet into them...

Federico, anybody ever say that you look like José María Olazábal?

Luckily not... it's definitely not a complimet :'-(

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    Federico, anybody ever say that you look like José María Olazábal?

Anyone get to test these things yet? Only review or on the snow impressions I've seen was Steve Romeo's (RIP Steve)

I have been skiing them for the past week or so. Done about 10,000 vert up, a lot of soft hot spring snow here in the n'east.

The thing is damn stiff, that is for sure. And damn light. And damn finnicky too.

I have to say, bearing in mind this is a proto, and a lot of the finer points will be worked out, the boot shreds. When it is dialed in, it is wayyyyy more laterally stiff and responsive than my Titans. And especially in the warmer conditions, the boot is very, very stiff. A ton of fun.

The powerstrap is negligible and should be enhanced or dropped. (proto)
    I would prefer a little extra weight and have actual catch and ladder buckles, not the wire things. personal preference.
    I would mod the boot so I can unbuckle it and still have it be in ski mode (for runouts)
    and
    I would make it so the top buckle could be closed while skinning (to better fit under a ski pant)
    But we have seen similar mods to TLT5s, so that shouldn't be too hard.

But the essence of the boot is unreal. So light, such an easy tour, and so precise and reactive on the schuss. Kudos to Federico, Hoji, and the team on an excellent product.

Hope to write a review of the boot for a ski blog I work on www.famousinternetskiers.com (sorry)

But likely won't put it out until September.

Still have some more time to ski the boots. Looking to make a few more weekends in Tucks/MTW area to feel it out, but so far I feel like I have a solid grip on what it is (a lot) and what it isn't (not too much)

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    Anyone get to test these things yet? Only review or on the snow impressions I've seen was Steve Romeo's (RIP Steve)
    Just in the process of getting protos so will be very cursory

What about Vulcan liner thickness versus the TLT5—is the Vulcan liner thicker? While some may prefer a thicker liner for warmth, the thinner TLT5 liner can be considered a feature for those who don't like to stop moving and think a thicker liner is too hot. If the Vulcan liner is thicker then it should be possible to size down and throw in a thinner liner, right?

This boot sounds rad minus the non removeable/non replaceable soles.
    A couple months sled skiing and a new sole is needed. A big issue with this boot for people looking to cross over. Fredrico change the boot to have replaceable soles and you may have a lot more customers. Otherwise crossed off my list.

You can resole boots.

I know you can resole boots. I've done it plenty of times with old langes before they had the removeables. Resoling is a pain in the ass, takes time, money, and energy.
    Give us din compatible soles and the regular vibrams. This is a freeride boot, the ability to use in all bindings is key. The minuscule weight increase is negligible for a freeride oriented boot. The ability for me to go down to the local shop and pick up another set of soles to throw on boots right away after they get trashed by my sled is key, so I can go out the next day, right away. Resoling via a shop or at home is not an evening type of thing when vibram and epoxy is involved.
    This seems like a no brainer to me. No reason not to have it on a freeride oriented boot. Vibram gets trashed quickly on sled running boards.

So far, dynafit soles are not made by vibram.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrain505 View Post
    I know you can resole boots. I've done it plenty of times with old langes before they had the removeables. Resoling is a pain in the ass, takes time, money, and energy.
    Give us din compatible soles and the regular vibrams. This is a freeride boot, the ability to use in all bindings is key. The minuscule weight increase is negligible for a freeride oriented boot. The ability for me to go down to the local shop and pick up another set of soles to throw on boots right away after they get trashed by my sled is key, so I can go out the next day, right away. Resoling via a shop or at home is not an evening type of thing when vibram and epoxy is involved.
    This seems like a no brainer to me. No reason not to have it on a freeride oriented boot. Vibram gets trashed quickly on sled running boards.
    I feel ya, there are certain advantage to swapping soles. I don't sled ski so you've got a different criteria for durable boots than me, but I was kinda happy to see non replaceable soles. Keep it simple. I just want a touring boot that rips, is light, and doesn't have extra crap on it. If the soles wear out before the boot or something sexier comes along, then i'll resole them.

I bet they'll end up making a full carbon cuff titan.