Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 1094
    Quote Originally Posted by pow314 View Post
    thats my only problem with this boot. don't know why dynafit hasn't caught on with every other brand and started making more upright boots. too euro i guess, still think we're racing....
    Ha - It's the other way around, actually. Race boots are more upright, and apparently Dynafit hasn't caught on yet. Same result though.

So for reference I bought a pair of the Salomon Mtn Lab 120's this year. They feel slightly more upright, or maybe it's because they have less ramp angle (?), but either way I'm not a fan. They're dead feeling, and ski for shit compared to the Vulcan. They also have less cuff angle/cant to them (more upright laterally) and as a result make me feel like I'm constantly on my outside edges. I bought them because the Vulcans just don't fit (huge blisters on multi-day tours), but now I have incentive to try and make them work again. Hello heat gun.
    Who cares how the crow flies

Are you sure you got the insert on the spoiler in the more upright positon? IMO the Vulcan are fairly upright, also with a Tech binding you can put a shim under the toe
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Is the new Vulcan really a green Mercury or not? XXXer: have you actually skied the new one, or just looked at it and decided that it's a Mercury?

Hjortleifson has been heard, the DynaFit Vulcan

Yup. Im sure it's in the more upright. My other boots are dalbello Lupo which is much more upright according to spec, and I prefer that aspect of that boot.
    Can't do shims because I am also partially trying to deal with poor ankle dorsiflexion from injuries. Also messing with the ramp angle throws off a bunch of other stuff.

Regardless, the tongue has an angle that has to work for the more-forward lean setting, so it obviously doesn't also match the more-upright setting. Just wondering about bending it to match. I figure a few of us could benefit from this working.

I have my insert in the more upright orientation, but used a heat gun to actually add more bend to the tongue in an attempt to make the flex more progressive. The result is that when you put the tongue in the carbon cuff is way stronger than the tongue and it pulls the tongue back to less of a bend. My guess is that straightening the tongue would have a similar effect in that once you buckle the boot the cuff dictates the stance. In other words I doubt straightening the tongue would make it ski more upright.
    Who cares how the crow flies

Quote Originally Posted by Andyski View Post
    Is the new Vulcan really a green Mercury or not? XXXer: have you actually skied the new one, or just looked at it and decided that it's a Mercury?
    no idea how the Vulcan "light" skis but I do know they are charging 100$ more to leave out the carbon which doesn't make sense

can people wanting to be more upright put a shim in front of the tongue and put the buckle ladder on its 3rd hole?

Personally I'm not trying to use the tongue to get more upright, just wondering about bending it to match the spoiler upright angle so the flex support engages properly and, ideally, more progressive.

Second part was wondering about options to make the boot even more upright at the cuff. Two separate things.

I spose you could fuck with leaving out stops & using a different tongue off of a cabrio boot or sft but progressive & vulcan R probably 2 words that should not be used together

I was thinkin about one of those instaprint tongue shims or sft

it strikes me that a machinist type could easily fuck with making new metal fittings on either the shell or the spoiler so the boot is more upright

A few questions about Vulcans:

Comparing the uphill range of motion: do you use the internal Vulcan bump stops and/or do your bump stops limit forward range of motion?

In a perfect world the bump stops would only engage when the UltraLock is closed but with mine they limit forward motion when touring. This is mostly an issue on steep skin tracks and when breaking trail.

What's the consensus on the vestigial tongue nubbin? Did you cut it off? Does it serve any purpose other than as guide for inserting the tongue? Any downside to slicing it off?

I run without the stops, they made them too stiff for me, surprisingly. Maybe I should try them again, I was straight out of mercs at the time.
    I definitely took off the tongue nubbin, no downsides that I can tell. I also took of the toe buckle, tongue swaps are cake. With an intuition and those changes they are 1400 grams each and plenty of boot without tongues on narrower touring sticks, for me anyway. I'll miss em when they wear out...
    Gravity always wins...

How is the flex of a Vulcan without tongue and without flex stops, versus the flex of a Mercury with the built in flex stops, with and without tongue ? Anyone know ?

Vulcan is stiffer and smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by stuntmanbo View Post
    How is the flex of a Vulcan without tongue and without flex stops, versus the flex of a Mercury with the built in flex stops, with and without tongue ? Anyone know ?

I like stiff and so I tried once but only skied mercury or vulcan with the tongues & stops

but that swiss guy has both boots and has geeked out on this^^ adnausem

in fact I am wondering why he hasn't weighed in
    Last edited by XXX-er; 10-11-2018 at 09:02 PM.

Anybody have a recommendation for a good beefy binding that’s compatible with the 1st gen Vulcan? Might be riding some lifts this year so Im looking for something a little more stout to replace dynafits on a pair of Bibby pros. Haven’t used anything but dynafits for about 10 years so I’m out of the loop.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Anybody have a recommendation for a good beefy binding that’s compatible with the 1st gen Vulcan? Might be riding some lifts this year so Im looking for something a little more stout to replace dynafits on a pair of Bibby pros. Haven’t used anything but dynafits for about 10 years so I’m out of the loop.
    The now discontinued Beast 14's are being sold dirt cheap so are a real bargain (don't get the 16's though as the toes suck) or the new Salomon/Atomic Shifts.

... Might be riding some lifts this year ...
    You're talking Alpine or AT/pin bindings?

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    The now discontinued Beast 14's are being sold dirt cheap so are a real bargain (don't get the 16's though as the toes suck) or the new Salomon/Atomic Shifts.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Va Ki Bo View Post
    You're talking Alpine or AT/pin bindings?
    Either I suppose as long as the toe works with the Vulcan. Is it still just a function of toe height adjustability on the alpine clamp? Wasn’t sure if AT is better suited for the boot.
    Last edited by Fritz; 01-15-2019 at 07:04 PM.

Either I suppose as long as the alone toe works with the Vulcan. Is it just a function of toe height adjustability on he alpine clamp? Wasn’t sure if AT is better suited for the boot.
    Yes, mainly rockered sole vs toe height thing. So alpine bindings like Warden 13 MNC will work.
    (Personally use old STH Driver inbounds with Vulcans successfully, but not recommended officially).

Using pin-bindings inbounds is the way to make your life brighter. Still.
    Last edited by Va Ki Bo; 01-15-2019 at 07:56 PM.

I have ft12s on bibbys for resort and they’ve always felt tight but I only ride lifts a couple times/year. I just wonder how much of a beating they can really take.

Marker lords work great with Vulcans. I hate pin bindings inbounds but maybe that’s just me.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    Beast 16 toes are bad in your experience overall, independent of version?

I've been out of the loop for a while, still have a pair of 2016 Beast 16's that I haven't ever mounted.

Looks like there was a Beast 16 lite that had a Beast 14 toe?

https://www.sport-conrad.com/index.p...0ba578cf31206&
    Aggressive in my own mind

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    That, with a booster strap, is what I do with my mercuries. I really like the progression of the flex like that.
    I've never added a Booster Strap. Anything special you need to do to add it to the Merc/Vulcan.

I've been skiing with out the tongues mainly... I find them good to have on a warmer day though. Without them, soundtimes it lacks a little rebound and moooshy on a warm day but I just find them so comfy without.
    Skiah for life

when the original Dynafit pwr straps fell off on day 2 I just left them off cuz I didnt reall notice any difference with or without so I never used a pwrstrap on Mercury or Vulcan which makes for one less thing to futz with in the BC

but if you wanted to use the original mounting screws to mount a booster or even put the original strap back on when it falls off you would need bigger washers on the mounting screws so the strap doesnt pull thru

or you don't necessarily need to anchor them to the cuff

Ski 'em these days with no tongue, no flex stops and a poached new/old wider stiffer velcro powerstrap. Still too stiff in certain conditions (cold temps, stratagucci in alpine, deep bottomless pow) Can't stand booster straps...too spongy. Firm velcro strap set 'just right' gets the flex close to 'just right' but still workin' on the progressive flex mod to get it perfect. Initially wanted to alter the carbon cuff but discovered it wasn't a good idea for long term life of the boot and my ideas required some mods to the cuff...so, i'll keep brainstorming for different angles of attack.
    Master of mediocrity.