Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    more like a tlt5, but different for sure.

i could really only ski the 27 tlt5 with the stock super thin liner (.6 shell fit), and could only ski the tlt5 in a 28 with an aftermarket liner (1.5+ shell fit)

i am 1.25 shell fit in the 27 vulcan.

but the vulcan has a similar super snug fit through the heel and inside instep.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Marshal, any thoughts of flex etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    That sounds good for me.

Fit like the TLT5?

My Mobes hate my feet but ski nicely. Titans don't fit me. My TLT5Ps fit me nicely. I wonder if the gain over an intuitioned TLT5P is enough to warrant putting them in the boot quiver replacing the Mobes.

I hade the mobe, to me the skiing is even better on the vulcan, (more progressive forward flex).
    To have ski more than 100 days on the TLT5P (quiet a few with intuition liners aldo i think it lacks uphill perfo. compare to stock) i d say the vulcan is very different. It has much more of a ski boot feel than the TLT5.

That's downhill mode i mean. (for the ski out feel)
    The uphill is at a level no other boot this stiff ever approached.

Is the last the same as the TLT5? Titans were way too narrow for my 110 mm feet, never tried TLT5 (too soft), just looking for some way to see how the Vulcan would fit. I'm sure I'd need to do some punching but this boot definitely captures my imagination as the doitall AT boot to drive big skis.
    "We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life, to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment at no matter what. -George Santayana, The Philosophy of Travel

...it would probably bother me more if I wasn't quite so heavily sedated. -David St. Hubbins, This Is Spinal Tap

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke of Hurl View Post
    Is the last the same as the TLT5? Titans were way too narrow for my 110 mm feet, never tried TLT5 (too soft), just looking for some way to see how the Vulcan would fit. I'm sure I'd need to do some punching but this boot definitely captures my imagination as the doitall AT boot to drive big skis.
    Read top post on this page....

Yeah, OK, guess I'll just have to wait tll next year.
    "We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life, to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment at no matter what. -George Santayana, The Philosophy of Travel

...it would probably bother me more if I wasn't quite so heavily sedated. -David St. Hubbins, This Is Spinal Tap

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Huge props to Fredrico for taking the time to give Alexis the low down on this gamechanger boot.
    damn if that aint the kind of gear that'll make a skifishbum seek gainful employment and spend this season coveting a new boot
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I wonder what the performance is vs the Titan
    This. Especially now that some shops are starting to press prices on the current titan ul. Might be a nice late season scoop.

So, what is verdict from the lucky few who has actually seen the vulcans or even skied both boots?
    Cold water stoke

Quote Originally Posted by gillesleskieur View Post
    That's downhill mode i mean. (for the ski out feel)
    The uphill is at a level no other boot this stiff ever approached.
    I hope all this R&D on getting alpine skiers into AT gear eventually trickles over to those of us who just want a Megaride that skis awesomely and fits a foot wider than a blade of grass.
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

Personally i prefer the Vulcans over the titans, I m only 60kg so maybe not a "reference" but i find it plenty stiff (to me stiffer than titans and with a more even flex pattern) and it walks tons better..

wow gilles you are light! i feel fat at 73 kg. They tell me that I will like the vulcan more than I liked the Titan UL and much much more than the TLT5 which I admit I did not like

Forward lean

The problems with a lot of boots is that they have to little forward lean.
    Can you adjust, modify the boot so it will be more agressive?
    18 degrees is to little...!
    I have max forward lean on my dalbellos today.

T

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    wow gilles you are light! i feel fat at 73 kg. They tell me that I will like the vulcan more than I liked the Titan UL and much much more than the TLT5 which I admit I did not like

Lee,

What didn't you like about the 5's? I can only assume its ski related since they walk and skin pretty damn nicely.

I definitely do not like the metatarsal flex when skiing and the added tongue overstiffens the boot to the point of almost deadening the ride.

A couple thoughts...
    - Not sure about the forward lean lock/cuff buckle combo. That means no micro adjust on the upper cuff buckle, kind of a bummer.
    - I've heard a couple people complain about the fiddle factor of the removable tongues with the TLT5. I wonder how hard they are to get in and out, particularly on a summit with crazy wind, or on a steep slope where you can't really get to a flat spot to switch into ski mode etc.

Overall, I'd rather have an overlap boot this light and stiff with this amount of touring range of motion than a tongue boot, but in all honesty, I will probably own these.

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    A couple thoughts...
    - Not sure about the forward lean lock/cuff buckle combo. That means no micro adjust on the upper cuff buckle, kind of a bummer.
    - I've heard a couple people complain about the fiddle factor of the removable tongues with the TLT5. I wonder how hard they are to get in and out, particularly on a summit with crazy wind, or on a steep slope where you can't really get to a flat spot to switch into ski mode etc.

Overall, I'd rather have an overlap boot this light and stiff with this amount of touring range of motion than a tongue boot, but in all honesty, I will probably own these.
    We have a very comprehensive video of this boot from SIA. Give us a few to get it up.

I can say the tongue removal/installation isn't all that bad. It's not something you'd want to do if you are racing your buddy during "transitions" but then again we aren't doing triathlons anyway so it shouldn't be a big deal. They slide into place fairly quickly. (and for shorter ascents don't need to come out IMO)

The boot kicks ass. More coming.

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    Overall, I'd rather have an overlap boot this light and stiff with this amount of touring range of motion than a tongue boot[...]
    While I agree...good luck with that.

I suspect the Vulcan is a significant step in the right direction, though I'm curious to see how stiff the flex actually is.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Not really that informative for tech geeks and a LOT of background noise, but anyway - this is Hoji talking about the Vulcans.

Cold water stoke

"I haven't skied it yet, they don't make it in my size."
    hahaha, WTF???

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    i would not recommend upsizing the vulcan shell.... i will be posting my .02 on the fit here shortly.
    Looking forward to this......... and your comparison to the titan and the cochise and cochise pro.
    Here or on blistergear?

Quote Originally Posted by srsosbso View Post
    "I haven't skied it yet, they don't make it in my size."
    hahaha, WTF???
    Hahaha, I was thinking the same thing. What was dynafit thinking? They didn't even let him do any product testing?!? I guess a good question for Hoji is how much input/influence he has at 4FRNT vs Dynafit, Arc'Teryx, etc.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

They don't make my size either but I crammed my feet in to them anyway and took a lap today. Impressively stiff. Walk mode is great, as expected. I was more impressed with the La Sportiva Spitfire, which may or may not have had something to do with it actually fitting my foot.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

seen, fondled, talked with hoji and federico.
    They're part from hoji's imput, and part from previous concepts developed by federico & mario sartor, so it's not fully correct to say that they are 100% from hoji.
    And yes, hoji is a 25 and they have made so far only 27
    Volume is certainly more comfortable than TLT5. I am not sure I would personally need the extra stiff of the carbon vulcan over the full-grilamid mercury, but only ski time will tell

Hoji got a haircut?
    watch out for snakes