Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    Its hard to tell but I think they are going to give me $17,827 for my car. Or I keep it if it can be fixed and get around $7000.
    How did you come by those numbers?

I'm curious at I have a '10 with less than 45k on it. Want to figure out our options.

People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

No more guessing.

VW Buyback Calculator
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Awesome. Any idea in timeline? As I. How long can I drive my TDI before having it bought back? In CA.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Awesome. Any idea in timeline? As I. How long can I drive my TDI before having it bought back? In CA.
    Rumor has been buybacks will begin in October 2016. VW has until June 2018 to "fix" the remaining cars, so I'm planning on driving mine exactly as is until I know what the fix entails.

I'm looking forward to the new Alltrack. Hopefully there will be some good loyalty programs to keep tdi owners in vw's.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...s-owners-want/

I checked out the alltrack at a local dealer. Models with sunroof were unpossible for my 6'3" ht. Deal breaker for me is that unlike Subaru, VW hadn't thought through rear hitch mount in a way that would keep my bike rack high enough for dirt roads and steeper driveways. Will stick with my Crosstrek, feeble torque and all.

Other negative was mediocre mpg for a car with a fairly small interior.

Nice to see US choices in this segment, at least.

PS dealer said that in US the alltrack isn't approved for towing by VW, hence the lack of thought for mtn bike racks.

Anyone been following along with this tool who completely stripped down his diesel Golf prior to his buyback appointment?

I get pushing the letter of the agreement as far as the language will allow you, but the 'spirit of the agreement/good faith' seems to be negated here. Looks like the judge agrees.

http://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-refus...rig-1790345158

I guess this had been happening to a much lesser level in previous buy-back VW diesels: stereos, rims, gear knobs, shit like that. But never every damned panel, nut, bolt and component.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...s-owners-want/

I checked out the alltrack at a local dealer. Models with sunroof were unpossible for my 6'3" ht. Deal breaker for me is that unlike Subaru, VW hadn't thought through rear hitch mount in a way that would keep my bike rack high enough for dirt roads and steeper driveways. Will stick with my Crosstrek, feeble torque and all.

Other negative was mediocre mpg for a car with a fairly small interior.

Nice to see US choices in this segment, at least.
    I installed a hitch on my mk7 GSW. Not sure why it wouldn't be super easy to do so on an alltrack.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Anyone been following along with this tool who completely stripped down his diesel Golf prior to his buyback appointment?

I get pushing the letter of the agreement as far as the language will allow you, but the 'spirit of the agreement/good faith' seems to be negated here. Looks like the judge agrees.

I guess this had been happening to a much lesser level in previous buy-back VW diesels: stereos, rims, gear knobs, shit like that. But never every damned panel, nut, bolt and component.
    I'm absolutely removing anything that didn't come in/on the car from the factory. But this is above and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by kai_ski View Post
    I installed a hitch on my mk7 GSW. Not sure why it wouldn't be super easy to do so on an alltrack.
    Without cutting into the rear lower trim, the standard aftermarket hitch solution for the alltrack will be very low to the ground. Yes I realize many people just live with a sucky solution best suited to malls and freeways, but I've been there done that and prefer a car designed a little more intelligently. I fully realize it's a non issue e.g. Some mtb riders get by with roof racks.

Ultimately I expect VW will pay a bit more attention to these attributes that Subaru understands. Let's keep in mind that Subaru stopped making a hatch wrx, so they too are capable of stupid decisions.

...shows what I'm talking about. Imagine a three or 4 tray bike rack sticking into that relatively high opening. Voila, you can drive most any back road with no issues. It's Geometry!

did you try asking a hitch store what they do to mount a rack on the car?

I had a hitch on my mark 4 golf that was somewhat macgyvered onto the car , I wouldn't tow anything with that hitch or that car but the 1 & 1/4" reciever held a standard hitch mounted bike rack

having said that with a frame grabber type rack a DH bike with an 8" boxxer would only give 4" of road clearance on the front tire so you would drag the wheel getting in or out of many driveways/ curbs/ and the odd dab at highway speed when the car hit a dip at speed

the fix would have been to splice an extension into the main post, a 5" travel bike was OK, I eventually quit fucking around and bought a more manly truck
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

https://www.etrailer.com/question-187679.html

I haven't looked into it much but afaik the options hang low. Etrailer only offers class I, which limits u to just 2 bikes. My Crosstrek has a beefy 2 inch receiver..

I do agree with you about clearance, FWIW I have the Torklift hitch that does require some very minor trimming in the lower fascia and I have never dragged it. It has seen plenty of dirt (within reason for a small wagon) ie forest road driving. I did drag the bike rack on my 09 Outback plenty - it had a lot more hangover from the rear axle and a saggy butt. The 2" receiver might be a dealbreaker.

My turn in dates is the 21st this Saturday. I still have no idea what to replace it with. Im looking at a diesel BMW x5 this weekend but IDK maybe I should get a small pick up. Then that won't be fun to drive......... Maybe a 3 series or something.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post

LOL

Kind of a douche move. Everyone is being compensated way more than they should be.
    They were kind enough not to quibble about wear and tear, bald tires, dents etc. And this guy douched it.

I bought a TDI wagon, drove 50k miles and am getting $3k less than I paid new for it. Plus it was a work car and is trashed inside - scratches, gouges, grease, dirt etc.

I dont hate VW. My hatred is on the EPA.

So, instead of a 45mpg clean diesel that emitted a fractional amount of nitric oxide more than gov allows, now a v6 gasser is on the road blowing 26mpg hwy.
    What was better for the environment??

BTW if you like the TDI, the best thing to do is take the money and then buy a used one in a year or so once the fix is done. The resale on these will be shit, even after they scrap the ones that aren't worth fixing.
    The wagon I sold them for $24k will probably be worth $9k after the fix.

I hated to take the money, but it was hard to say no.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    So, instead of a 45mpg clean diesel that emitted a fractional amount of nitric oxide more than gov allows, now a v6 gasser is on the road blowing 26mpg hwy.
    What was better for the environment??
    40x more NOx is "fractional"? When a winter inversion sets in along the Wasatch I'll take your NOx-compliant V6 gasser every time. NOx is nasty, nasty stuff. The Wasatch Front (and many other US metro areas) would be basically unlivable at this point if it weren't for strict NOx limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    40x more NOx is "fractional"? When a winter inversion sets in along the Wasatch I'll take your NOx-compliant V6 gasser every time. NOx is nasty, nasty stuff. The Wasatch Front (and many other US metro areas) would be basically unlivable at this point if it weren't for strict NOx limits.
    Yup. And "the rural mountain driving" section was the most polluting part of the original tests that found the errors for the Jetta, iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by ICantLogIn View Post
    My turn in dates is the 21st this Saturday. I still have no idea what to replace it with. Im looking at a diesel BMW x5 this weekend but IDK maybe I should get a small pick up. Then that won't be fun to drive......... Maybe a 3 series or something.
    You mentioned driving. Then don't consider a truck or SUV.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by ICantLogIn View Post
    Los of nice cars out there depending on the budget. Another nice diesel would be a 535dxi. I think a low mileage 2014 will set you back about $40k. The 328dxi wagon is pretty sweet if the lower hp/higher gas mileage is up your alley, as is the X5d if you need to tow stuff.
    All nice cars IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Los of nice cars out there depending on the budget. Another nice diesel would be a 535dxi. I think a low mileage 2014 will set you back about $40k. The 328dxi wagon is pretty sweet if the lower hp/higher gas mileage is up your alley, as is the X5d if you need to tow stuff.
    All nice cars IMO.
    3.0 owner here, Gen 1 engine so looks like I'll be bought back as well. Fingers crossed that the compensation package is as generous as you 2.0 folks got. Looking to replace it with an Acura MDX, or if the buyback is even better, a Volvo XC60 or XC90. Or maybe an Outback and a luxurious ski vacation to Yurp.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    You mentioned driving. Then don't consider a truck or SUV.
    Well how about an x1?

How about Saab anyone drive a Saab? Im looking at 2009 9-3 aero. They are kind of inexpensive.