Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Talk me out of a SportWagen TDI

Cheaper then A Subaru but its hard to let go we have two mine is a 98 and hers is a 04. Not really too many complaints. A TDi looks better on paper as far as space, MPG, and value retention, and price.

Has the TDI engine changed over the last 3 or 4 years?
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

I think those things are FKNA awesome.

So there must be something wrong with them, take that as your warning.

No AWD so it isn't really the same type of car.

The first time I drove a Jetta Sportwagen (2.5 gas motor), I was seriously unimpressed: road noise, lots of rattles (brand new car at dealer).

Last year, Mrs. C. was shopping for a new car, and it narrowed down to an '08-09 Subaru Outback wagon (last of the body styles that we liked), or the TDI Jetta Sportwagen. Driving the TDI version was like a completely different car vs. the gas motor one. Maybe the TDI version is built in a different factory than the gas ones... who knows.

The Jetta interior is more plain, but nicer materials than the Subaru. They felt about the same inside in terms of seating space and cargo area.

Biggest advantage for the Jetta: TDI motor available = great MPG. Biggest advantage for the Subaru: AWD. Secondary considerations: Jetta has a gargantuan moonroof/glass roof available, if you like that; gut feeling and anecdotal evidence tells me that Subaru reliability > VW reliability.

We went with an '09 Outback, mostly because we found one with very low miles, grandpa-owned, extended Subaru warranty, etc., etc. -- basically your ideal used car. If we had found a Jetta TDI wagon first, we would've picked that up.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Wife has an older Jetta TDI wagon - generally a good car, but there's always something wrong with it. Generally they are small problems that don't require immediate attention, but they're annoying. It also has really low clearance - not very good for any type of off pavement travel. FWIW, I've heard anecdotal evidence that the newer Jettas take care of a lot of those problems.

For close to the same money you could get a Mercedes W210 estate wagon. A consumer reports best buy.

I was really interested in the Sportwagen TDI when I was car shopping. The thread below and other resources made me decide to look elsewhere. A $6-10K repair that VW may or may not cover!?!
    http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=286380

I haven't done any research on it recently, so I am unsure if there has been any resolution to the HPFP issue.

I love my Jetta Sportwagen. Better built, more fun to drive and better MPGs than any Outback. Mine's got 4 snow tires so it kills it in in the snow.

I have had numerous VW's and 2 Audi's.....now on my second Audi (with snowtires) I can't see going from an all wheels drive machine back into a front wheel drive machine. I always ran proper snow rubber on my front wheel drives and never had issue but the security and handling of AW is something I won't give up. Please keep in mind these cars were my DD's and only car I owned.......I'm single and don't need more then one car.

My only issue with anything VW/Audi related is potential issues....I had an S4 that was a dog...electrical nonsense all the time but none of my VW's had issues nor does my current Avant. I love VW/Audis but its also what I grew up wrenching on.

If you're going for any VW then the sportwagon is the ticket b/c the curretn Jetta is a POS in terms of built. The sport wagon at least comes with disc brakes. The base and middle line Jetta has drums.....that to me tells me that the accountants mounted those.

After owning many German cars esp VW , I would always go with Jap engineering unless the VW has something unique that you really need. The GTI may be an exception. And I would never buy or keep a VW off warranty

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

The VW is not a Subaru - enough said.

We just drove my '08 Outback over 3000 miles in under a week and it performed flawlessly and I was never tired behind the wheel. The AWD should be standard equipment on every car - it's just that much safer.

Anecdotal - our friend we drove out to CO to visit have some sort of deep-seated hatred for Subaru I've never understood and opted for the VW wagon. They totaled it in under 6 months. Lost control on the pass west of Gunnison. If they'd been driving a Subaru...

Quote Originally Posted by Yanos View Post
    I was really interested in the Sportwagen TDI when I was car shopping. The thread below and other resources made me decide to look elsewhere. A $6-10K repair that VW may or may not cover!?!
    http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=286380

I haven't done any research on it recently, so I am unsure if there has been any resolution to the HPFP issue.
    Yeah the HPFP thing is a deal-breaker for many out there. My takeaway is that US diesel may be fine for truck turbo diesels (cummins etc) but is not ideal for the VAG TDI engine that was developed around Euro diesel lubricity. What sucks is the horror stories where the VW TDI owners kept every fucking receipt showing that they only filled up at major brand gas stations with diesel, had a HPFP grenade on them, and VW denies them warranty coverage and suggests that at one point they accidentally put a gallon or two of gasoline in there.

FWIW one of the strikes (for me) against the sportwagen and the volvo v50 was the lack of ground clearance. total disaster on Tahoe sidestreets when we get a foot or two of wettish snow at lake level overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by boarddad View Post
    The VW is not a Subaru - enough said.

We just drove my '08 Outback over 3000 miles in under a week and it performed flawlessly and I was never tired behind the wheel. The AWD should be standard equipment on every car - it's just that much safer.

Anecdotal - our friend we drove out to CO to visit have some sort of deep-seated hatred for Subaru I've never understood and opted for the VW wagon. They totaled it in under 6 months. Lost control on the pass west of Gunnison. If they'd been driving a Subaru...
    Um, wow...

So this one time, my subie jumped in front of a speeding locomotive and saved my life... just saying.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Um, wow...

So this one time, my subie jumped in front of a speeding locomotive and saved my life... just saying.
    Ummm...OK. What if I'd said "AWD" instead? When we bought the Subie we looked @ the Volvo XC70 and an Audi but both were at least $5k more and by all reports more of a headache to maintain. We rented an AWD Mazda last year that was quite impressive too - drove it through Monarch pass in a blizzard. That could have been done in an FWD car, but with my family in the back seat I'll opt for AWD every time.

Quote Originally Posted by jmars View Post
    I have had numerous VW's and 2 Audi's.....now on my second Audi (with snowtires) I can't see going from an all wheels drive machine back into a front wheel drive machine. I always ran proper snow rubber on my front wheel drives and never had issue but the security and handling of AW is something I won't give up. Please keep in mind these cars were my DD's and only car I owned.......I'm single and don't need more then one car.

My only issue with anything VW/Audi related is potential issues....I had an S4 that was a dog...electrical nonsense all the time but none of my VW's had issues nor does my current Avant. I love VW/Audis but its also what I grew up wrenching on.

If you're going for any VW then the sportwagon is the ticket b/c the curretn Jetta is a POS in terms of built. The sport wagon at least comes with disc brakes. The base and middle line Jetta has drums.....that to me tells me that the accountants mounted those.
    Audi/VW reliability has gotten substantially better. I had a 98 A4 1.8T that was a maintenance nightmare - constant problems with electrical, wheel bearings, leaking oil and all sorts of fluids. I drive my current VW a lot - I've put 17k on it since May of last year - and I'm convinced its bullet proof. My folks have also had had a few late model Audis that have been rock solid.

Yes the new generation Jettas are cheap. If you're going to buy a VW TDI get one now before VW adopts the current cheap body style into a wagon.

In defense of Outbacks, they hold their value just as well as any high end car. I was shocked at the price of used late model Outbacks when I was car shopping. 2 or 3 year old Outbacks aren't much cheaper than brand new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Yeah the HPFP thing is a deal-breaker for many out there. My takeaway is that US diesel may be fine for truck turbo diesels (cummins etc) but is not ideal for the VAG TDI engine that was developed around Euro diesel lubricity. What sucks is the horror stories where the VW TDI owners kept every fucking receipt showing that they only filled up at major brand gas stations with diesel, had a HPFP grenade on them, and VW denies them warranty coverage and suggests that at one point they accidentally put a gallon or two of gasoline in there.
    Looks like they may have ironed that out hard to tell.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

FWD VW Vs Subaru is like comparing a fork to a spoon.

Driving in snow in FWD VW is like trying to eat soup with a fork.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by VTsession View Post

In defense of Outbacks, they hold their value just as well as any high end car. I was shocked at the price of used late model Outbacks when I was car shopping. 2 or 3 year old Outbacks aren't much cheaper than brand new ones.
    If you can find one. Subaru owners tend to keep their cars for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    Looks like they may have ironed that out hard to tell.
    ?? Last I heard, there was no part redesign from Bosch. This thread here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=333924 is very recent, and seems to echo that. I know people are adding lubricity additives when they tank up, and crossing their fingers, but unless I've missed something the situation hasn't been ironed out.

if you have a link to other info, please provide it when you get a chance. thx.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    If you can find one. Subaru owners tend to keep their cars for a long time.
    yep it's a problem. looking for an 07 5spd impreza for the GF with lowish miles...hard to find.

Here is the email I just got from my wife.
    I think we should stick with Subaru brand for a car. It's worked for us for a long time.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    if you have a link to other info, please provide it when you get a chance. thx.
    http://www.worldcarfans.com/11102163...us-authorities
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    Here is the email I just got from my wife.
    I think we should stick with Subaru brand for a car. It's worked for us for a long time.
    She's a keeper

My babe had a 2004 TDI wagon. Small displacement diesel is a cool idea but wow that POS was in the shop every other week and the repair bills were steep. She's back with a Subie

Bought my first Sube this fall (11' WRX). I'm hooked on the koolaid.