Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
    There have been a LOT of complaints about the emissions fix on the 3.0 TDI. It's not the powerhouse it used to be.

From what I've read the Mk7 Golf (2015) has had the least impact from the emissions fix. The Mk6 is generally good but there seem to be a few more complaints, nothing major. You do get a kickass warranty with the fixed TDIs. It's great to have but really takes away the motivation to tune them.

Thanks for all the input guys. Probably going to pull the trigger on an '11 later this week. The pricepoint combined with the warranty are hard to pass up. And while I appreciate the inputs on tuning/performance the focus for this car is definitely going to be on good mpg while still having room for road trips and reliability so I don't get stranded out in the middle of nowhere while travelling for work. Coming from a 98 Honda with 240k miles, I'm sure anything is going to feel like it has great performance.
    It sucks to suck.

I picked up a 2011 with 70k miles for 10k, warrenty, etc. Seeing what Reverend paid I probably should have held out for a better deal.

It's a great commuting car. Good mpg, comfortable seats, etc.

I got one with the pano sunroof and the rear lines clogged which put a bunch of water in the rear floor. Not technically challenging to deal with, but not an option I would purchase again.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    There have been a LOT of complaints about the emissions fix on the 3.0 TDI. It's not the powerhouse it used to be.
    Yawn. Take a grain of salt on those internet complaints. I'm one of those people discussing the 3.0 TDI post fix. I've lived with it for a year now. Even after all those discussions people just don't want to believe the post fix is barely different. Beware the internet hive mind. Real world is a different story. Plus mine is chipped so my experience is still better than stock.

Plus mine is chipped so my experience is still better than stock.
    How much driving did you do with the emissions tune before it was chipped?

Here's a thread on the 3.0 - http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=492352

we have a Q7 TDI with the fix. Post fix it keeps the revs higher when cold so it warms up in 5--10 minutes instead of 10-15, it doesn't auto engine brake but you can do it manually and the transmission occasionally hesitates when accelerating from a slow role, fixed by sport mode. MPG is down slightly but not much and power seems about the same. Just pulled our camper (21ft fiberglass ~4klbs) last weekend and it still gets 18-20 at 60-65 on flat ground, pulling faster or up hill still uses more fuel. Still a keeper as a tow vehicle.
    I had a '13 JSW 6MT and didn't love it, too slow, too boring, not super comfy but great mileage, I now have a 06' 325xit 6mt, less slow, less boring, more comfortable but shitty mileage, I would consider a GTI but my next car is probably electric.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    I had a '13 JSW 6MT and didn't love it, too slow, too boring, not super comfy but great mileage, I now have a 06' 325xit 6mt, less slow, less boring, more comfortable but shitty mileage, I would consider a GTI but my next car is probably electric.
    Ha, I knew someone on here would post something like this.

Coming from an Outback and a Tacoma, the JSW is a night and day difference in terms of fit and finish and comfort. If you need lots of HP to make your routine commute enjoyable, this isn't the car for you. It is a 100% adequate car for commuting, does decent in snow and gets good mpg.

Read the manual with regards to fuel choice. There are only a few stations around me that sell Diesel #2, everyone else is selling a B20 blend.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    How much driving did you do with the emissions tune before it was chipped?

Here's a thread on the 3.0 - http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=492352
    I'm aware of the threads. Another one on Audiworld as well that I'm on.

I've driven with the chip and without. There is no magic to any of it. Every car is slightly different. With all the computers these Germans put on cars it is no wonder they constantly have issues.

The car is a beast even with emissions fix. Did a 1000 mile road trip with 3 dudes and gear and got 38 mpg. 450 ft lbs or close to it is amazing with 8 speed automatic

I'm not at all surprised this is being blown out of proportion. It was the same for the Gen3 TDI when in reality there's no difference.

Internet people constantly blow things out of proportion. You would think every turbo Subaru is a ticking time bomb if you read the forums. Talk to a real mechanic. Mine told me buying a German car is just asking to waste money. I know that but hybrids and electric are just not there yet for reasonable prices.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    I'm aware of the threads. Another one on Audiworld as well that I'm on.

I've driven with the chip and without. There is no magic to any of it. Every car is slightly different. With all the computers these Germans put on cars it is no wonder they constantly have issues.

The car is a beast even with emissions fix. Did a 1000 mile road trip with 3 dudes and gear and got 38 mpg. 450 ft lbs or close to it is amazing with 8 speed automatic
    Out of curiosity, which chip did you get and are you concerned about it voiding your warranty?
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Sorry if I'm brief here. Trying to get a project out. I got a chipwerke box. Normally I would go with APR or Malone but the TD1 issue at Audi deterred me. I know I will have to go to the dealer occasionally with this Q5. With the chipwerke I simply unplug the box before dealer visits. Easy and cheap. Nice performance. Stage 1 is fine with me for this car. Stock would have been fine also but all my turbo cars have had some kind if tune.

Talk me out of a SportWagen TDI

Seems as good of a place as any to ask this.

Anyone own a GTI? I’m wanting a stick, something different, fun. Maybe chip it or something.

I’ll keep my 2007 pilot for hauling crap and snow.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I had a 4 door GTi. Fun little hatch back but so small only used it in the city.

They are small. Go test drive one and see what you think.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Talk me out of a SportWagen TDI

We have a 2012 Golf R. Love it. I don’t think it’s that small as what people are saying, it actually holds a similar amount of stuff to our three series BMW if not more so because of the hatch. GTI is similar fun.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Give it a test drive and if you like it I’d go for it. I think VWs and Audi’s are much better cars these days. If you maintain it well it should last for years. We bought 2011 Q5 back in 2013 and we just keep up with the maintenance and have no issues. Find a good mechanic who deals with VWs and you’ll save some coin from paying dealer prices.

I had a ‘15 GTI for 4 years. Absolutely loved it and regret selling it some days. It was practical enough for a daily driver with one kid and had enough space to haul necessities. It definitely had some reliability quirks like most VWs/Audi’s but I still loved that car.

Now that we have a full sized pick up I’ll likely look into getting a CPO Golf R next year as a summer car.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Back to the top. Anyone have updated experiences with buying a dieselgate era sport wagon? Sounds like prices on them have gone up but you still get some good bang for your buck. My priorities are milage and comfort. I've got access to other cars for stuff beyond commuting or driving to trailheads.

I looked into it last year and the warranties are all in the process of expiring. Never got further than that.

Djongo had some good advice in the Bobby used cars thread.

We got one for my mom...a 2014. It has been incredible and if you put some studs on it they're unstoppable.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

I have a 2015 Golf Wagon bought in 2017 after the stop sale was lifted. It currently has 105k km. I have 6 years and 160k km left on the dieselgate warranty.

I've only had two issues.

The passenger seat heater died and was replaced under warranty.

Then in the winter I had a check engine light related to the DEF system. It ended up being a punctured line. It was covered under the warranty but the dealership did fuck me around for a while before they agreed it would be covered. I had to open a ticket with VW to get it moving along. But that's a shitty service manager issue as other dealerships in the city have approved without hassle.

I really really like the TDI. It has lots of character yet is still quite refined. It pulls hard when you want it to and gets great mileage even if you're driving it hard. 800 km to 40L is doable all day long.

I have the DSG, so maintenance costs and current diesel prices take away a lot of the fuel economy savings, but the long warranty does evens things out.

If it were to get written off I'd probably look for an AWD model with a stick (lots were sold in my neck of the woods), but that's mostly because TDIs seem to be more expensive.

I don't love the seats in the base model that I have. I keep wanting to swap some GTI seats but my wife doesn't like the pattern.

And I'd try to avoid the sunroof. Lots of reports of them leaking.

I wonder if the leaking sunroof issue can be kept at bay by cleaning out the runoff tubes on a regular basis?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

From what I've read it can definitely help, but isn't a guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    I wonder if the leaking sunroof issue can be kept at bay by cleaning out the runoff tubes on a regular basis?
    The fix for our ‘17 Alltrack was to just pull the “spider plugs” from the bottom of the drain tubes. That allows water+crud to [in theory] fully drain out the tube and not plug up and leak. We’ve been good for three years now [knock on wood].