Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    If you cant ski moguls in the fall line, you can't ski.
    Truth.

That statement really pisses skiers off. I like saying it

I think the saying goes........

It's not that you can't ski moguls, it's the fact that you can't ski, the moguls just prove it!
    Crippled but free, I was blind all the time, I was learning to 'ski'.

The best backcountry advice ever given on the TGR forums:

Quote Originally Posted by skibee View Post
    Tits are a good thing, if making a good decision so you can live to see tits again is all that motivates you then so be it!!!

Yeah I've heard that variation too, probably proves the same point a little better.

Find some cool maggots who don't mind you following them around and try to keep up.

You have a problem with the loft on your skis which is Lack of Fucking Talent.

I restarted skiing three years ago (after 20 plus years of snowboarding) and I did the only reasonable thing I could do: take (a lot of) lessons.
    Having bought 3 pairs of DPS did not help at all, while it helped that know I know one thing or two about ski technique.
    go take a lesson.

Oh and before we hear the usual anti-PSIA rant (which in most cases isn't without merit) there's always an instructor or two that can totally tear it up.

Here's an assortment of former colleagues:

http://www.freeride.cc/
    http://lorrainehuber.com/
    http://www.hauni.at/
    http://www.philanker.at/

All pro or semi-pro freeriders I've worked alongside at ski schools.

Lots of people bluff their way through a lack of technique with balls, fitness & equipment, but at some stage they all run out of talent & that's where lessons come in.

You just need to sniff around and find a good, motivated instructor with a bit of fire in the belly. Not all of them fit the golf cart stereotype.

As already stated; learn to ski bumps properly. The technique and skills needed, in my opinion, lead to better skiing all-around - bar none.

Eyes and hands out front, down the fall line. Drive the tips, excellent edging, slient upper body, rapid terrain response from your skis. . . seriously, there is no substitute. (Now that I've said that, skiing bumps is kind of like a Porsche )
    I still call it The Jake.

Have a friend do a video of you. You probably have little idea of what your body is doing.
    Then work on technique.
    There are some good learning videos available.

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

Take a moguls course with a good instructor. First thing they will do is get your weight forward, upper body downhill and quiet, and get your hands in front of you.

It will improve your skiing 1000% in a few weekends.
    Best Regards,

UMKP

"Peter, You've been missing a lot of work lately".
    "I wouldn't exactly say I've been missing it, Bob".

take some lessons...seriously they will help
    Ski The East

Go back to snowboarding. If you're the type to "dabble in the park" I'm sure you dont want to be associated with all the clean-cut 40-somethings offering real advice in this thread. You've lost 200 steeze points just by posting the question.

We've won it. It's going to get better now. You can sort of tell these things.

Hi Maxwell666! Had enough of this rude and childish treatment after posing such a friendly and innocent enquiry? I bet you have! Do you wish there was a winter sports forum that understood the passion and stoke of snowriders like yourself? Well there is! I would like to take this opportunity to formally invite you (as well as all of the lurkers and non-lurkers alike) to come join our fun-loving but responsible bunch of snowriding aficionados who know the benefits of what good moderation brings to an on-line community. I think most all of you will find that our seasoned moderators "keep the bar high" by maintaining a sense of order and decorum, while encouraging quality discussion about our favorite pastime. It may take a small amount of getting used to, as we do have reasonable standards as far as language and image posting that are strictly enforced. The registration is easy and painless, and the rules will be explained in detail during the process. I will warn you however up front that registering an ALIAS is "VERBOTEN", and something we have zero-tolerance with. If you are tired of the juvenile guttersniping at TGR and yearn for a snowriding forum that matches your maturity level, all I can say is: "Come join the fun"!

Hands, eyes, knees are always forward ... if one isn't you're out of control

Get a few lessons
    If you can't dig it, you ain't got no shovel

alpine zone douche trying to poach potential epic troller.

^ points on the board.

We've won it. It's going to get better now. You can sort of tell these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    QFT - I'm almost there.
    You've been 'almost there' since your first post.
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

Quote Originally Posted by AlpineZone View Post
    Hi Maxwell666! Had enough of this rude and childish treatment after posing such a friendly and innocent enquiry? I bet you have! Do you wish there was a winter sports forum that understood the passion and stoke of snowriders like yourself? If you are tired of the juvenile guttersniping at TGR and yearn for a snowriding forum that matches your maturity level, all I can say is: "Come join the fun"!

We offer pages and pages of thought-provoking threads, with in-depth discussions featuring stimulating subjects such as:

What do you do with your poles on the chair?
    Race (NASTAR) ski recommendations
    What kind of Lunch Box do you use
    ?

Plus, my personal favorite:

Taken a whatchamacallit lately?

Fixed it for YOU, Greg.
    Crippled but free, I was blind all the time, I was learning to 'ski'.

The best backcountry advice ever given on the TGR forums:

Quote Originally Posted by skibee View Post
    Tits are a good thing, if making a good decision so you can live to see tits again is all that motivates you then so be it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CarveMan View Post
    Think about all the equipment you think will make you better (apart from fitted boots). Total up the price.

Then ignore the equipment and spend that amount on lessons.
    We all love new gear. Gear is fun, no doubt about it. But most people forget to feed their brain. The best skiers in the world take lessons, we call their instructors coaches. Take lessons are on regular basis and then sign up for one of Gordy's str8line camps. You'll learn to ski better and have a great time in the process.

And lastly, don't pay too much attention to the armchair instructors posting technique advice in your thread.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    I thought it only took 1,000 to improve 300% and at 10,000 you turn pro?

OP - Hands out in front, not at your sides, weight forward on the balls of your feet and shins, in an athletic stance, quiet above the waist and smooth dynamic and quick below. Do all that while you are turning and you're golden.
    ^^^ This.

The most important tip here (aside from the basics) is to be smooth and don't force your turns. Quick jerky movements are a big no-no in the deep stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by AlpineZone View Post
    Hi Maxwell666! Had enough of this rude and childish treatment after posing such a friendly and innocent enquiry? I bet you have! Do you wish there was a winter sports forum that understood the passion and stoke of snowriders like yourself? Well there is! I would like to take this opportunity to formally invite you (as well as all of the lurkers and non-lurkers alike) to come join our fun-loving but responsible bunch of snowriding aficionados who know the benefits of what good moderation brings to an on-line community. I think most all of you will find that our seasoned moderators "keep the bar high" by maintaining a sense of order and decorum, while encouraging quality discussion about our favorite pastime. It may take a small amount of getting used to, as we do have reasonable standards as far as language and image posting that are strictly enforced. The registration is easy and painless, and the rules will be explained in detail during the process. I will warn you however up front that registering an ALIAS is "VERBOTEN", and something we have zero-tolerance with. If you are tired of the juvenile guttersniping at TGR and yearn for a snowriding forum that matches your maturity level, all I can say is: "Come join the fun"!
    So gregg,what is your non-alias name and phone number ......................and why are you here?

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

get a gopro cam
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

bro, you need to just push it.

it's the same with MTBing, people are just scared of what they can do and apply the brakes everywhere.

Aside from conquering your fear and riding to your true ability (not the ability your scared mind tells you you have)the most important thing to know is how to fall. Sure keeping pressure on the tongue of your boots and driving hands forward and having a quiet upper body is key, but if you don't know how to fall you're not gonna have a good time. Tuck and roll till your feet are pointed down the hill then dig in with your boots and stop yourself.

Or if your skis are still on just spin till your feet are downhill then stop yourself(easier with skis on than just the small boots). or just stand up and ride off.

For me, I let the skis ride. Point them down the hill, soak up bumps/moguls and make sure you're leaning forward. That's the #1, you don't wanna be skiing in the back seat, it makes you slow and terrible. You're gonna want to be making GS-sized turns no matter the snow. Lay down them train tracks on the groomers, you can see where you wash out. Once you can ski moguls in long turns you can call yourself a decent skier.

the one footed trick works well to. Really try to hold an edge though, washing out and losing speed is for n00bz

very surprised that safety meetings are not mentioned ... very important aspect of skiing
    always forward but never straight

There are no bad skiers, only bad ski conditions.
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!