Thread: Downton Abbey

Downton Abbey

Noticed it got a mention in the Netflix thread.

My wife got me hooked on it. I hate period pieces, and I was dead set to hate this.
    Impossible. Story is too good, and the characters are really well developed.

New season started this week on PBS, and they are already filming the third season.

Anyone else hooked?

Yeah, good stuff. I caught the first episode of the new season on Sunday...

SPOILER: World War I starts.

Giving it a go, downloading season 1. If it´s any good, I know they have a s01+s02 box at the local record store.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Season 1 was well written and rather tight.

Season 2 got sloppy. The format of the show breaks down when you refuse to develop the characters in intervening years. With a few exceptions you could go from Episode 1 to the "Christmas Special" and not notice 8 years passed except for people prattling on about how time passed.

Bump. Awesome and addicted

signed.
    mrs. flake and i, luv it!
    Dowager Countess, ftw.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Addicted. Proof I'm dangerously close to being a real adult?

Sent from my DROID X2 using TGR Forums

Wife and I watched season 1 and 2 in 3 days. Pathetic I know but we just could not stop.

Seems a lot of watchers are upset that babies are killing off well-liked characters .....

And apparently HBO is starting a competing "how-the-British-aristocracy-was-dragged-kicking-and-screaming-into-the-20th-century" mini-series, too (Parades End - good cast).
    Last edited by PB; 02-26-2013 at 05:30 PM.

Building a fighting force of extra-ordinary magnitude
    Love it.

Totally reminds me of the British tv my parents would watch when I was a kid....luckily as a kid there was also Monty Python & Benny Hill.

I need to watch seasons 1 & 2 as I only got going with season 3 but I completely agree with Buttahflake, Maggie Smith aka Dowager countess fucking kills it!
    thats new hampshire as fuck

We ain't eager to be legal, so please leave me with the keys to your Jeep Eagle.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Seems a lot of watchers are upset that babies are killing off well-liked characters .....

And apparently HBO is starting a competing "how-the-British-aristocracy-was-dragged-kicking-and-screaming-into-the-20th-century" mini-series, too (Parades End - good cast).

Whoa - take Parades End with a grain of nitro; radically different approach to the same issue, plus smokin' Sylvia/Rebecca Hall. A little harder to appreciate, verging on fractured.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Whoa - take Parades End with a grain of nitro; radically different approach to the same issue, plus smokin' Sylvia/Rebecca Hall. A little harder to appreciate, verging on fractured.
    Thought it was altogether superior. Only problem is it was too short for the narratives they crammed in; not surprising given the novel

Watched first thee episodes of Parades End last night - it's just superb.

My wife has been catching up with Downtown Abbey and I caught part of one of them the other evening.

The makers of Downtown Abbey should be embarrassed.. although to be somewhat fair.... Stoppard is a Genius and he's working with what are widely regarded as some of the 20th centuries best novels as base material. (I need to read them )
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Building a fighting force of extra-ordinary magnitude
    for those who watch both Downton Abbey and Breaking Bad..and to a lesser extent Stephen Colbert. Some swears so not entirely safe for work:

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-col...breaking-abbey
    thats new hampshire as fuck

We ain't eager to be legal, so please leave me with the keys to your Jeep Eagle.

Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.