Need an engraver

Not having any luck finding someone in Seattle to do this so I may need to outsource. I have a piece of metal that I need to engrave a signature into, i.e. I want an exact replica of this person's signature on this piece of metal, not some version in a different font. Knowing TGR, somebody here probably actually does this, or at the least, knows how/where to get it done. Anyone?

pm Zestynotspicy - he's in commercial sheet metal siding/roofing in the seattle area and may have a vendor contact? Maybe a long shot, but hey - at least it is the right substrate!
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    pm Zestynotspicy - he's in commercial sheet metal siding/roofing in the seattle area and may have a vendor contact? Maybe a long shot, but hey - at least it is the right substrate!
    Any strate, sub or otherwise is much appreciated jfrost.

Call a "promotional products" distributor or trophy and awards shop from the yellow pages.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Have you tried a gun shop? Not a sporting goods store with a gun counter, but a real brick and mortar. Gunsmith's do intricate engraving all the time, I'm certain you can find a local card-toting NRA member in Seattle.
    Crippled but free, I was blind all the time, I was learning to 'ski'.

The best backcountry advice ever given on the TGR forums:

Quote Originally Posted by skibee View Post
    Tits are a good thing, if making a good decision so you can live to see tits again is all that motivates you then so be it!!!

Very easy to photo chemical etch it. i have made medallions this way. Can be done cheaply using a simply laser printer or laser copier and chemicals from the home depot.
    i like to use the blue PCB board making film than using photo or newspaper circular paper.

Here is a sample of a medallion i made for a Pheasant print edition i did.

http://www.google.com/search?q=chemi...w=1239&bih=803

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Medallion 2010 MN PHEASANT STAMP email.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	241.2 KB 
ID:	107386  

Quote Originally Posted by iamchappy View Post
    Very easy to photo chemical etch it. i have made medallions this way. Can be done cheaply using a simply laser printer or laser copier and chemicals from the home depot.
    i like to use the blue PCB board making film than using photo or newspaper circular paper.

Here is a sample of a medallion i made for a Pheasant print edition i did.

http://www.google.com/search?q=chemical+etch+metel&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&source=hp&q=pcb++etch+metal%2C+laser +copier&pbx=1&oq=pcb++etch+metal%2C+laser+copier&a q=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=242513l243880l1l24415 2l4l4l0l0l0l0l360l908l0.2.1.1l4l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc .r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=1a78b7027b8cf06a&biw=1239&bih=803

How well does this process wear (durability) and does it work on all metals? Aluminum? Can you use any colors? (Will read links later for more info as well.)

TIA
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

You can etch many different types of metals, the etch is very deep, deeper the longer you leave it in the chemical bath, you can etch completely through the metal if left on long enough, amazing how well the mask can hold out. i paint a color down to expose the etch, and sand and polish the surface.

Durability, You would have to spend a good amount of time with a file or belt sander to sand down to the depth of the etch, what you etch will be there forever.

Wow, great info in here. Learn something new everyday. Thanks iamchappy. I am apprehensive about trying this myself as I only get one shot and the "piece of metal" is attached to something kinda valuable. Also like the gun shop and trophy place ideas.

I would take it to a gunsmith. Those guys engrave expensive pieces of metal often.

in idaho they may, out here it's all handguns and assault rifles.
    check out seattle engraving in everett, they do laser work on metal.
    bobbyf

gunsmith +1

Contact your local federal pen. Some of those guys are good at engraving C-notes, the Sec. of the Treasury signature is the easy part

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Is the metal flat? Is it a one-off piece as in "one shot to get this right"? Nearly all trophy shops have an engraving machine, the hardest part will be finding a shop who will do personal items due to risk/insurance. Most likely the easiest way to accomplish what you need will be to scan the signature then convert it to vector with the engraver's software, after that the engraving machine does all the work (an odd shaped/larger item will require a bit of rigging to fit in the engraver). Try Athletic Awards in Seattle.

Otherwise try the gun shop route, most likely it will be done by eyeball and hand.

(My dad has a home-based trophy business but won't touch one-off personal items)

Try looking for laser engraving services.