Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Waiting for it in Sun Valley

So far the winter of 2011-2012 has been cold and dry here right up until the last week the year. Thanks to $ and the badass snowmaking system there is plenty of skiing to keep us interested until the pattern changes and we get some snow.

Snowmaking was well underway by October 28th:

The skiing was great in December with most of the groomers open and buffed and nobody here.

The Christmas pulse:

Super G in the front of the line at the first rope drop of the year (I waited for him at the bottom). T-1 minute:

First ride back to the top of the bowls about 2 minutes later.

It didn't take long for everybody to show up

Duncan Ridge and Hyndman

Twin Falls beauties.
    Last edited by Sol Skier; 01-18-2012 at 11:36 AM.

Not too much complaining going on around here. Maybe Sun Valley's not your bag and that's ok but if you're jonseing to make some turns there's plenty of chalky ones here.

Hang in there SB

nice photos / stoke.

just curious, do trees really not grow on any of the south facing slopes in sun valley?? looks kinda strange honestly

Not sure that trees don't grow on ANY of the south facing slopes, but they are definitely pretty rare. Southern Idaho is a desert. Those south facing slopes are bone dry by July 1 and stay bone dry until late November most years. Then they freeze up for most of the winter, meaning they are still dry, even though covered in feet and feet of snow. Hard place for trees to grow.

A couple pictures poached from this past weekend Baldy Banked Slalom (Hillary Maybery took the first photo and i don't know who took the next 2):

Smith Optics put up 3 spots in the Baker LBS for the winners. Sun Valley co. and local snowboarders put in a bunch of time preparing the course.

Otherwise we're making the best of the drought and sending away the women and children before the impending snownami (sorry svhs)

The Austrians removed all the rocks in Sun Valley during the war to make runs like this skiable in our legendarily thin snowpack:

LC

2:45 pm on Sunday. Its been snowing up here almost every day for the last 3 months.
    Last edited by Sol Skier; 01-19-2012 at 12:18 PM.

Just here to say be safe. As you all around sun valley have heard its about to go OFF. 5-8ft+ at elevation over the next few days.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gfs_namer_120_precip_ptot.gif 
Views:	114 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	107997

Yeah Sol way to stay fired up. Things are lining up nicely, one kid already sick the other sure to follow, I have to drive way out past Triumph for dinner on wednesday night, Twin Friday and Katharine has to work Saturday, so I am doing my part to bring it in huge.

1 mile from N. America's biggest chairlift
    yep, its coming in big alright...I am headed out of town for 2 weeks tomorrow. Have fun...fuckers!
    Rocket Sleds and Super Space Boots

Just got back into the valley after 5 days in ATL. The snowflakes are starting to fly and I am ready to ski off the absolutely gross amount of BBQ, chicken n waffles, and veggies cooked with pork which was consumed. and bourbon-but wait there's no fat in that

LET IT ROCK!
    one step forward, no step backward

Make no mistake about it....Its gonna hit like 100,000 Orcs. Cache yer food, guns and amo tonight and fill up the generator.

No complaints. This storm has a little too much north in it right now to really pound Baldy but the mountains nearby are getting it. 10" at Galena so far and 15" at Vienna.

Honey Badger doesn't give a shit.
    Last edited by Sol Skier; 01-19-2012 at 12:20 PM.

That was delicious.

Pics from the cycle.

JLoc

A well-placed lot, a little slice of heaven

The lift to Purgatory

Wait for it...

Go

Man I hope they groomed Broadway Face

Leidecker avoiding the sharp end:

Winners

1 mile from N. America's biggest chairlift
    glad you guys are getting it good
    Rocket Sleds and Super Space Boots

Thanks - love that place. Made my transition to skis @ Dollar

are you riding ullr snow from this latest storm?

A sleepy month in SV.

Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy Page:

When it hasn't snowed in 4 weeks you gotta appreciate your powder turns

Chikn knows how to sniff em out

Now we're just like Jackson Whole, Chamonix and the North Face of Mt. Snow:

tremendous shots sol, well done. hoping the forecast for tasty goods delivers the mid-week pasting we so deserve.

You tempt the fates with your words Mantis, but I have come to expect this from you. Already the winds have shifted to blow this one right by us (perhaps due to the cruel forecaster's casual mention of 15")

Nonetheless, I will be happy with the 2" we are most likely to get, and hunt down the places where it will blow in to 3 or 3 1/2, and enjoy the shit out of it.

yes, the working stiff that i am i felt i had to repay your favor when you texted me mid-storm, only to curse us with zero accumulation following your misguided word-phone. almost time to wash my truck...

Finally made a trip down there to ski Galena pass and the resort a few weeks ago - my buddy moved there 13 years ago and as we met up on the pass he was quick to quip that "it only took 13 years and 5 hours to come visit!"

Really appreciate your photos and wondering if you've got any photos or good stories of the Brotherhood event going on this week?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    good stories of the Brotherhood event going on this week?
    I was actually at the first one in 1975. Hexcel had a demo day and I was waiting in line with a bunch of brothers. I had an Obermeyer blue and yellow race suit and will forever be know as
    "the yellow flash" or that white kid that crashed our party!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    wondering if you've got any photos or good stories of the Brotherhood event going on this week?
    Paging Jaded...

They are partying for sure. Got em a powder day today.