Recommendations for a poor man's Mojo SL-R?

I've been lusting over the Ibis Mojo SL-R for months. Lack of snow in Colorado hasn't helped. Reasons why the SL-R is tits:
    -140mm travel on the blingy new kashima Fox shocks, front and rear
    -tapered head tube on front fork
    -maxle rear
    -my friend with a 1-year old SL demoed the SL-R and noticed considerable increase in stiffness in front and especially rear
    -at 155 pounds, I want a sub-25 pound bike to float up our big ass hills here in Colorado, be a lot of fun to ride, and also get more into XC racing
    -sexiest looking full-suspension frame on the market IMO

With an XT build, MSRP is $4942. With upgraded Shadow+ XTR rear derailleur, $5130.
    http://www.ibiscycles.com/bikes/mojo_sl-r/#

LBS (excellent shop) offered a slightly better price, but I'd still like to drop at least a grand off that price, because I'd be riding a lot sooner.

Also been looking at Santa Cruz Blur XCc (too little travel), TRc and LTc (too heavy, for same price, I'd rather have Mojo); Pivot Mach 5 (no tapered head tube but decent prices) and Mach 5.7 and 5.7c (again, for same price I'd rather have Mojo). Full XTR Motobecane Phantom? My tastes outweigh my paychecks.

Any recommendations for a sub-25 pound, full suspension, 5"+ travel, XC ready, complete bike for less than $3500?

For $2500 (no taxes, shipping included), I could get:

24.2 pound, full XTR, 120mm travel bike
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...am_3x10_xi.htm

PLUS!
    a rigid, single-speed 29er to bash around town and on snowy trails
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/bullseye.htm

Don't give up on what you want or you may regret. Keep an eye on MTBR and ebay for slightly used ones. With many people now dumping their 26" wheels for 29ers there are deals to be found.

Thanks for reply hrdude. However, the SL-R appears to be one of the latest and greatest. People have had them back-ordered, with full deposits down, for about a year. They're just starting to get delivered now. Doubtful a used Ibis Mojo SL-R will hit the market for some time. I've been keeping an eye on here, MTBR, craigslist, ebay, etc. Lots of good used bikes for sale at good prices, but I'm looking to make a thousands of $ investment in a bike and don't want to sink it in already-outdated technology (ie- non tapered headtube).

Don't get that motobecane. Suspension design is cutting edge 1989.

If I were looking for a budget competitor to the Ibis, I'd probably be looking at a giant.

It may not be exactly what you're looking for, but these guys had a couple of last years HDs left for right around $3500: http://bikefixutah.com/

They are X-9 builds and probably weigh right around 28 lbs. My 30-pound HD climbs better than my 26-pound XC bike, but YMMV.

Thanks Dr. Gonzo. Also found this:
    Mojo SL with 2x10 X9
    http://www.competitivecyclist.com/fr...FQcKKgod2iBaqA
    Either one would be a good option at that price but not quite what I'm looking for. Perhaps a better question would have been, "How to rob a bank, so I can afford an Ibis Mojo SL-R with XT build plus an XTR Shadow+ rear derailleur, before next ski season begins?"

pretty sure someone had an SL-R for sale in sprockets... maybe harpo-the-skier?
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Turner 5 spot frame set saves you about $600. XT build weighing 27lb is available for $4k, $1500 off retail on the turner site.

Migth be able to find a deal on a Giant Trance X Advanced also.

If you're 155lbs, i would think an SL would fit the bill pretty well. With a good wheelset at 20mm thru up front and 10x135 bolt on rear, I think you'd be happy. I'm 210 and love my SL. While I'm sure the SL-R is tits, it's hard to justify the costs in my opinion.

You can find some good deals on used SL's.

I'd just start with a lesser component build and upgrade as breakage/money allows. Seriously though, the mojo suspension is tits for climbing.

listen to grabtitty.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Sometimes I feel so good, I gotta scream
    She said Gordie baby I know exactly what you mean
    She said, she said, I swear to god she said...
    My memory is muddy what's this river that I'm in?
    New Orleans is sinking man and I don't wanna swim

Doesn't match all your criteria, but look at the Giant Trance-X line, particularly with a 140-150mm fork vs. the stock 120-130mm setups. They baren't glamorous or high zoot, but they work really well.

I picked up a super cheap X-4 demo, full bike, right around a grand. Ditched the stock crap parts, put on my own stuff. 27# give or take a bit depending on tires, hauls ass up and down. Obivously ligher or heavier depending on your parts pick A very, very good all rounder, IMO. The carbon version with a Revelation instead of the Sektor I have would be silly light and stiff for a bike in its range/class/whatever, but I'm a cheap bastard, so have this instead.

I've not had a good pedal around on a real DW link to see how it compares to Giant's Maestro, but aside from that, it pedals incredibly well. Good up and down. I'm now on the east coast, but having spent a fair bit of time on the front range, riding up high, Moab, Fruita, etc., and think this bike would be tits on most stuff out there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	107111  
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Quote Originally Posted by Tips^Up View Post
    I've been lusting over the Ibis Mojo SL-R for months. Lack of snow in Colorado hasn't helped. Reasons why the SL-R is tits:
    -140mm travel on the blingy new kashima Fox shocks, front and rear
    -tapered head tube on front fork
    -maxle rear
    -my friend with a 1-year old SL demoed the SL-R and noticed considerable increase in stiffness in front and especially rear
    -at 155 pounds, I want a sub-25 pound bike to float up our big ass hills here in Colorado, be a lot of fun to ride, and also get more into XC racing
    -sexiest looking full-suspension frame on the market IMO

With an XT build, MSRP is $4942. With upgraded Shadow+ XTR rear derailleur, $5130.
    http://www.ibiscycles.com/bikes/mojo_sl-r/#

LBS (excellent shop) offered a slightly better price, but I'd still like to drop at least a grand off that price, because I'd be riding a lot sooner.

Also been looking at Santa Cruz Blur XCc (too little travel), TRc and LTc (too heavy, for same price, I'd rather have Mojo); Pivot Mach 5 (no tapered head tube but decent prices) and Mach 5.7 and 5.7c (again, for same price I'd rather have Mojo). Full XTR Motobecane Phantom? My tastes outweigh my paychecks.

Any recommendations for a sub-25 pound, full suspension, 5"+ travel, XC ready, complete bike for less than $3500?
    I've got a 2010 Mach 5 with tapered fork for sale. Couple $k less than the SL-R. XT Build. PM if you might be interested.

The trance is a fantastic bike. Really underrated compared to the spray you see on the reign series.

erlau - PM sent.

bikesdirect.com does have some excellent prices on decent builds. I am wary of their full-suspension designs, but think anything else is a darn good deal. So I bought this!

Dawes Bullseye. Rigid, singlespeed, 29er, Avid disc brakes, 30+pounds of steel, $399 shipped

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0075.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	107627

Name:	IMAG0077.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	133.1 KB 
ID:	107625

Name:	IMAG0076.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	107626

gonehuckin has a newmojo SL/RP23 Kashima frame set he is looking to sell I believe...

Thanks BC1PR, that is true. I could cut a pretty good deal on it.

New never built, 2012 White with blue links in size large. RP23 Kashima. I have a new fox talas 32 150mm with kashima as well that could go with it. Price would be reasonable.
    Goals for the season: -Try and pick up a sponsor.--Phill

But whatever scares you most... --Rip'nStick