arcata steelhead help?

I just got back into town and learned that the fish are now in the rivers. It has been a really dry winter not unlike other places, but finally there was enough rain to bump flows up high enough to open the water.

I have never fished for steelhead and wonder what to expect.

I will be using a 7wt rod and nymph fishing i assume. anyone have ideas on patterns? not sure if that is water specific.

also if there is anyone in the area that wants to go out fishing I would be game for some company.
    whatever I feel like i what to do!

It's been dry recently, the last storm hit from the Klamath North primarily. I would forget about the Klamath without a sled. With a single hander go explore the upper forks of the smith. Killer nymph water, doesn't swing worth a shit like the lower stretches. Big glo bug type things are all you needf set on nymphing.

As soon as we get any good rain get a sink tip and head for the Eel main stem. Fish are stacked in the estuary and as soon as it rises they'll be moving up. Swing a sink tip and any kind of leech, intruder, big winter pattern. It's really too low to get any sort of swing/drift right now in most places.

Honestly you just need to put time in as all the rivers around you fish a bit different at different flows etc. Go chat with Mike at the Eureka shop for some good advice although he likes to fish things when they're clear which I've never understood.

Get the low flow closure numbers on speed dial.

Don't be a douche and stay off the salmon redds, and If you start nymphing where people are swinging realize they'll be stepping down after every cast. PM me if you want any more specifics.

snapt- thanks for the info. hopefully I can catch some of these monsters. it will be nice to be on the river again regardless.

Just picked up my first fly setup. I have just been chuck and dunking with spinning gear. I think my reel has WF floating fly line on it. I mainly know how to tie up larger nymphs 4-10 and avoid the tiny floating flies mainly due to the fact they are a pain in the ass to tie. I've heard that guys have a lot of success running a tandem rig with a strike indicator. Am I going to have to go to a sink tip line or will I be able to use what I have on there ?

i dont think you would need any sink tip line if you are are around humboldt county. the water isn't running very high right now. i would definately bring some split shot so you could get you rig down accordingly but sinking line (i would guess) would be over kill.

Fishing for steelhead with nymphs is pretty much the same as fishing for rainbows. Both fish will hang out in suprisingly fast water. Nymphs are more practical for narrow and deep runs, rapids, pocket water and stuff with a highly variable bottom structure. Nymphs will allow you to work flies down to the bottom and put it in their face. That is useful because sometimes winter steelhead won't move much for a fly. Nymphs are better for fishing at short ranges. Conversely, its hard to effectively cover wide water and fish at a distance with nymphs.

The Babine Special is a great "twofer" fly because it is very effective as a roe pattern when dead drifted under an indicator but is large enough and has enough pulsating action that steelhead will chase it on the swing, just like the classic Polar Shrimp pattern. Just swing the fly into the bank at the end of the dead drift. I liked it for working big creeks that occasionally have spots wide enough to swing a fly but are mostly nymph work.

The upper Salmon R. is opening up and people are floating and fishing it.