Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    I drove across the Colorado river yesterday near Grand Junction, it's barely a stream right now. Flew from GJ to Denver and there is no snow at all in the mountains, none. I think if things continue as they are that the Colorado river basin is fucked with all the development downstream in AZ, NV and CA.
    Don't forget southern Utah. The crooks down in Saint George are trying to ram another pipeline through for the overdevelopment of that area. It's fucking criminal.

Phoenix style fog

Never lived there but visiting in the shoulder seasons it was still to hot for me in the daytime. But you know that. Living in So Cal, I am very concerned about water for the region down the road and from what I have read, Vegas and Phoenix should be really worried too.
    Maybe an ok stop as your first job after school, but I wouldn't buy there and my plan would be to be out of there in the next 2-3 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    The land is not hospitable to human life without technology.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    And yet indigenous communities have lived in this area for thousands of years?

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Some will argue that it’s irresponsible for anyone to move to an unsustainable region like Phoenix. I don’t care one way or another, but water issues could fuck up real estate values long term in these arid mega cities
    Not so sure about this. No doubt water security is a huge issue but it extends way broader across the west in general. SoCal, Vegas, Phoenix, etc. everyone knows that but how about the Great Plains effectively lowering the water table (I forget the exact numbers) by somewhere in the 20ft range over the past century from clearing grasslands and irrigation for agriculture. In the desert at least there are already highly endemic plants and wildlife that have evolved to tolerate drought conditions. Don't forget Tucson and the Sonoran desert is one of the most biologically diverse areas in the U.S. How climate change will impact these areas is still to be determined as climate change doesn't necessarily directly translate to higher temps alone. In the PNW there is definitely concern over forests not having the resilience to increased temps and drought conditions over the summers.

There are clearly some grouchy, opinionated folks on here, which is not surprising considering this is a ski forum and OP is asking about living in the desert!

Overall, I'm saying from my limited experience visiting and girlfriend's past year living there, we both have been pleasantly surprised with both Phoenix and Tucson. Some awesome mountains, wilderness and open lands within an hour drive from both places. Not to mention affordable and plenty of housing options. Compared to other places we've lived and more popular cities where I have friends living it is seriously refreshing not to have to pay >50% of your monthly income on rent. I'm increasingly skeptical of the "more desirable" places people say to live whether Seattle, San Fran, Denver, Portland, and any mountain town out west, as at this point you probably have considerable parental support for housing if you're under the age of 35.

Clearly, year-round climate is highly subjective. I would say from my experience the heat is somewhat valid, somewhat overstated, and the common 120F temp DEAR GOD DRIED DEATH claims are like saying everyday during the winter in Boston is -40F. Here in Oregon my past two summers have been hey it's June, this is nice 70s and 80s for a week, then wait now its upper 90s and 100s (average in PHX is only 5-10F warmer), cyanobacteria in the reservoirs, and oh shit one month of horrible forest fires and smoke, now grass farmers are blowing dust all over the already dry, dusty valley, ahhh 70s again, rain. And I suspect these temps and forest fires are part of a broader pattern across the board...
    Last edited by Groomer Gambler; 09-18-2018 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Maybe an ok stop as your first job after school, but I wouldn't buy there and my plan would be to be out of there in the next 2-3 years.
    This! As I mentioned, probably not looking to settle here long-term but there are many worse places to live. Either Phoenix or Tucson seems like a pretty decent place for younger folks 20s/30s out of college, looking for an area out west that isn't overrun like San Fran/Seattle/Denver.

Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    And yet indigenous communities have lived in this area for thousands of years?

Not so sure about this. No doubt water security is a huge issue but it extends way broader across the west in general. SoCal, Vegas, Phoenix, etc. everyone knows that but how about the Great Plains effectively lowering the water table (I forget the exact numbers) by somewhere in the 20ft range over the past century from clearing grasslands and irrigation for agriculture. In the desert at least there are already highly endemic plants and wildlife that have evolved to tolerate drought conditions. Don't forget Tucson and the Sonoran desert is one of the most biologically diverse areas in the U.S. How climate change will impact these areas is still to be determined as climate change doesn't necessarily directly translate to higher temps alone. In the PNW there is definitely concern over forests not having the resilience to increased temps and drought conditions over the summers.

There are clearly some grouchy, opinionated folks on here, which is not surprising considering this is a ski forum and OP is asking about living in the desert!

Overall, I'm saying from clearly my limited experience visiting and girlfriend's past year living there, we both have been pleasantly surprised with both Phoenix and Tucson. Some awesome mountains, wilderness and open lands within an hour drive from both places. Not to mention affordable and plenty of housing options. Compared to other places we've lived and more popular cities where I have friends living it is seriously refreshing not to have to pay >50% of your monthly income on rent. I'm increasingly skeptical of the "more desirable" places people say to live whether Seattle, San Fran, Denver, Portland, and any mountain town out west, as at this point you probably have considerable parental support for housing if you're under the age of 35.

Clearly, year-round climate is highly subjective. I would say from my experience the heat is somewhat valid, somewhat overstated, and the common 120F temp DEAR GOD DRIED DEATH claims are like saying everyday during the winter in Boston is -40F. Here in Oregon my past two summers have been hey it's June, this is nice 70s and 80s for a week, then wait now its upper 90s and 100s (average in PHX is only 5-10F warmer), and oh shit one month of horrible forest fires and smoke, now grass farmers are blowing dust all over the valley, ahhh 70s again, rain. And I suspect these temps and forest fires are part of a broader pattern across the board...
    Okay guy, sounds like your mind is made up. Go for it. As long as you don't move to Denver, Jackson or Seattle I think 99% of this board will be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Okay guy, sounds like your mind is made up. Go for it. As long as you don't move to Denver, Jackson or Seattle I think 99% of this board will be happy.

Just drives me crazy the irony of those places... people feel the need to trash any other place to live in America that isn't their liberal mountain town and how they wouldn't dare living in a drought region and they must not be responsible for climate change cuz they're doing their part... I can just see the trust fund yuppies in Boulder whining about how Arizona is draining their snowpack and Colorado River. Look, Phoenix is in the top ten biggest cities in America and a big portion of that population doesn't live on a golf course in a mega mansion. Do you think they can just pack it up and afford a nice off the grid house in Jackson? If anything, I think this demographic in said cities is really overlooked.

end rant. Maybe it's time to leave the TGR forums!

This is the "tell me your opinion on Phoenix" thread on a snow sports website forum. If your looking for validation go to some website for people that love sand, brown things, landscaping with rocks, oppressive heat, sweaty golf, pools,and indoor sports. I'm sure there's people out there that will agree with you somewhere.

Maybe it's time to leave the TGR forums!
    Yeah, maybe it is.

It’s a fucking ski forum. I met my wife on a chairlift, I’ve only done jobs that allow me the flexibility to ski a fucking ton, etc. Not all, but a shit ton of us here @ teh TRG are like this, so if you aren’t, why bother?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I'm increasingly skeptical of the "more desirable" places people say to live whether Seattle, San Fran, Denver, Portland, and any mountain town out west, as at this point you probably have considerable parental support for housing if you're under the age of 35.
    You realize that your 30s are some of your peak earning years, right? The reason people in that age demo move to SFO, Boston, and Seattle and bid up rent and real estate prices is because they are hitting Manager, Senior Engineer, and Director level job titles and pulling a few hundred k per year, right?

This! As I mentioned, probably not looking to settle here long-term but there are many worse places to live. Either Phoenix or Tucson seems like a pretty decent place for younger folks 20s/30s out of college, looking for an area out west that isn't overrun like San Fran/Seattle/Denver.
    Phoenix has more people than those cities.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Yeah, maybe it is.

It’s a fucking ski forum. I met my wife on a chairlift, I’ve only done jobs that allow me the flexibility to ski a fucking ton, etc. Not all, but a shit ton of us here @ teh TRG are like this, so if you aren’t, why bother?
    It just seems like so many of those places have become completely unattainable to live for younger folks these days. Not trying to discredit older folks who have worked their asses off and spent their lives working towards moving to a cool place like Jackson, Boulder, etc. I spent a few years trying to figure out work/ski/outdoors balance out west and always left with a bitter taste. Maybe it was possible to work part-time gigs and ski 100+ days in the 80s and 90s, but I don't think this is possible anymore unless 1) You are instagram vanlife celebrity, 2) Work remote from a tech company, or 3) Parental support.

What I'm saying is for younger folks, look past some of these areas, and at least for me, not being so skiing focused has opened my eyes to other places in the U.S. that can be pretty rad too, and in many cases better for someone starting out. So when someone younger on here asks opinions about Phoenix, and most people reply negatively, I have to say there are some cool aspects about the area beyond access to skiing.

There are two ski resorts within 2 hrs north of Phoenix and 2 hours south of Phoenix. Not to mention cheap, direct, quick flights to Denver, SLC, etc. And technically it can snow in Tucson...

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    You realize that your 30s are some of your peak earning years, right? The reason people in that age demo move to SFO, Boston, and Seattle and bid up rent and real estate prices is because they are hitting Manager, Senior Engineer, and Director level job titles and pulling a few hundred k per year, right?

Phoenix has more people than those cities.
    True, and half the cost of living!

And, yes, I totally agree. Most of my friends who got jobs out of college 10yrs ago in those cities are now in manager positions making way more money and putting money down on houses. For the rest of us not quite wanting to navigate that sphere of work/life, you may have to look past SF/Boston/Seattle to afford living costs...

There is something I do like about the metro phoenix area
    not sure what it is

the funny thing is, phoenix seems to have the largest amount of pasty white people compared to any other metro area
    I think thats because no one goes outside, air conditioned house, air conditioned car, air conditioned office, shopping mall, you name it

what's to like about the place
    big ass freeways with lots of lanes, traffic is really not there compared to most cities
    out door opportunities biking etc, you don't have to share the trails with ten million d bags like you do in metro denver
    scottsdale scarsdale same fucking thing
    the weather 7 months out of the year is great, especially in january
    some really nice neighborhoods with old trees large lots
    my buddy just moved to mesa, he has an irrigated acre of land, nice location, hey and it's 20 mins to south mountain

but shit, say there is a power outage in the summer, the city will come unglued
    water, they are sucking the water out of the ground as fast as they can and if the irrigation canals dry up?
    the salt river project is pretty impressive
    it's crazy to compare new mexico Albuquerque/ santa fe to phoenix, the only reason phoenix is not a complete shit hole like Albuquerque is because of water
    I'd never move there I would strongly consider northern arizona though

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    <snip> they are hitting Manager, Senior Engineer, and Director level job titles and pulling a few hundred k per year, right?
    <whew>

Sure am glad I didn't spend my 30's doing that sort of horseshit.

<snip>

There are two ski resorts within 2 hrs north of Phoenix and 2 hours south of Phoenix.
    I hate to break it to you - but this is not true.

Just drives me crazy the irony of those places... people feel the need to trash any other place to live in America that isn't their liberal mountain town and how they wouldn't dare living in a drought region and they must not be responsible for climate change cuz they're doing their part... I can just see the trust fund yuppies in Boulder whining about how Arizona is draining their snowpack and Colorado River. Look, Phoenix is in the top ten biggest cities in America and a big portion of that population doesn't live on a golf course in a mega mansion. Do you think they can just pack it up and afford a nice off the grid house in Jackson? If anything, I think this demographic in said cities is really overlooked.

end rant. Maybe it's time to leave the TGR forums!
    dude, it's a ski board. phoneix is the 13th circle of hell. what do you think you are going to get?

i'm no rah rah ripper, stoke hound, but I have never lived more than two hours from what would be considered decent if not good skiing. it's kind of a climate choice

AZ came a cunt's hair away from legalizing recreational pot in 2016 and I think they can push it over the finish line the next time it gets to ballot. So we got that going for us...which is nice

Quote Originally Posted by RockChalk View Post
    AZ came a cunt's hair away from legalizing recreational pot in 2016 and I think they can push it over the finish line the next time it gets to ballot. So we got that going for us...which is nice
    It sure would help while away the hours during the nightmarish 1/2 of the year...

Hey it’s a dry nightmare at least.

Almost any place is bearable for 2-3 yrs if you’re getting your career going.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    It sure would help while away the hours during the nightmarish 1/2 of the year...
    It's like 90 degrees in March. You're giving it way too much credit at 1/2 the year.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    It's like 90 degrees in March. You're giving it way too much credit at 1/2 the year.
    Nah, mostly mid to high 70s. March is the best weather month by far which would probably explain the 15 teams that call AZ home for spring training.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Hey it’s a dry nightmare at least.

Almost any place is bearable for 2-3 yrs if you’re getting your career going.
    Pro-tip: Try not to give a fuck about "career"

HTH.

Quote Originally Posted by RockChalk View Post
    Nah, mostly mid to high 70s. March is the best weather month by far which would probably explain the 15 teams that call AZ home for spring training.
    Hey - one month of nice weather is nice...

It just seems like so many of those places have become completely unattainable to live for younger folks these days.
    they haven't been cheap for well over a decade. More than two in many of the cases.