Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I need a career

white collar crime

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    Don't know what the requirements are for ER techs where you are, but I am guessing you are at least an EMT-B? Start working on an ambulance crew, maybe become a paramedic. Probably similar money and benefits, maybe a bit more for a paramedic, especially if you can score a spot with a fire department (although those jobs are probably tougher to get than nurses right now). But if you can work 24s, you could pick up some part time work a few days a week and bank some extra cash.
    Medics that aren't with municipalities don't make shit. When I got my basic the going rate was get this 8 bucks an hour. Sad thing was it hasn't improved much in the past few years actually its gotten worse, there are way more medics then jobs. I would be surprised if a private medic made 12 an hour right now.

Mtngirl wanted to move I really rather not, but sometimes I think this state is going to make me move

Medics don't make $12/hr? Jesus... I think someone trying to save my ass is worth a lot more than that!

HVAC techs around DC are making bank and they can't find people to do it. And that's something you can start a company doing once you learn it. DC already absorbed all the people from Pittsburgh's steel industry and it's still growing.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    Medics don't make $12/hr? Jesus... I think someone trying to save my ass is worth a lot more than that!
    I'm sure there is some regional differences in pay but they are wayyyy underpaid for the amount of responsibilities they take on. Local firefighters/medics make off much better then private guys, more towards what you would expect but still underpaid. With the collapsing budgets around the area they are merging many smaller stations together and good guys are getting the pink slips. Getting out of school how are you going to compete with a guy that maybe has 10+ years experience it makes for a hostile work environment to say the least.

Might want to look back at trades. I was "lost" for a number of years. I was always witty, but never able to sit in class. I taught myself telecom and networking, went from wondering what tip and ring are to deploying full POS systems in stores. Work was somewhat unstable, project based, and I wanted a license and a pension, so I joined the IBEW.I am going through my ICI electrician apprenticeship, and I love it. Nice balance between physical work and brains. Electricial field is somewhat saturated in many areas. If I was to chose again I would look at one of the lesser known trades. Find their union and see what they offer. Some of them really need people. One the major perks in trades is that you start making money from first day.

Unfortunately medics really do not get paid shit, I used to make more money as a raft guide than my brother as a medic.

There are of course always exceptions, flight medics, firefighter medics but most of the pure medics are underpaid for only saving your life.

juggernaut.

Chairlift operator.

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Might want to look back at trades. I was "lost" for a number of years. I was always witty, but never able to sit in class. I taught myself telecom and networking, went from wondering what tip and ring are to deploying full POS systems in stores. Work was somewhat unstable, project based, and I wanted a license and a pension, so I joined the IBEW.I am going through my ICI electrician apprenticeship, and I love it. Nice balance between physical work and brains. Electricial field is somewhat saturated in many areas. If I was to chose again I would look at one of the lesser known trades. Find their union and see what they offer. Some of them really need people. One the major perks in trades is that you start making money from first day.
    what do you mean when you say "lesser known trades"? something like welding? plumbing? HVAC?

Start a Lawn Care business? I started one in 2004 after getting out of the golf business with no plan. There's more to it than just cutting grass, lots of opportunities to make some good money. Being in Mich you can do snow removal in the winter to stay busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    what do you mean when you say "lesser known trades"? something like welding? plumbing? HVAC?
    Probably specialties, like clean-room piping/welding etc.

as others mentioned, I would look into radiation tech if that interests you. May be a 18-24 month training, depending on your prev. experience.

Or becoming an electrician if that is more up your alley.

I'll admit I don't know anything about the demand for those fields in your specific location, though. That could make something else the smart move.

I would increase your medical education. Thats the best field, no recession.

Learn Chinese. The rest will follow.

Demand for electricians is very low pretty much everywhere right now. I'd happily move somewhere to work, there's just nowhere to move to if I want to work as an electrician.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

Move west, ski patroller. I hear snowbasin has openings.

Whatever you do, GTFO of Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    what do you mean when you say "lesser known trades"?
    Pipefitter/steamfitter
    Boilermaker
    Industrial Instrumentation
    Aircraft Maintenance Engineer

I've got some friends in all the above fields, and I never see them anymore because they are too busy making bank. Oil/gas is booming in Canada and the tradespeople working in this area are very well payed.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Willie View Post
    Demand for electricians is very low pretty much everywhere right now. I'd happily move somewhere to work, there's just nowhere to move to if I want to work as an electrician.
    FYI, seen several craigslist ads recently for electricians in the Tahoe/Reno area
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by wicked_sick View Post
    Oil/gas is booming in Canada and the tradespeople working in this area are very well payed.
    Oil and gas is booming in the mid-atlantic right now as well, and is only going to get bigger. I just moved back home to Pittsburgh early last year to break into it after 5 years working ski retail in WY/UT. I surpassed my previous highest annual income in 10 weeks with my new job. Plenty of college credit, but no degree. There are a lot of oil and gas jobs out there with schedules that would support frequent travel/skiing as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Willie View Post
    Have you looked into oil field work in the Bakken (ND/MT) or other areas? It's going gangbusters for every other kind of work, I can't imagine they don't need electricians. Shitty job, but make bank and work two weeks on two weeks off (or similar).

Or what about this, electrician for NPS in Glacier Park: http://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/303182400

ill second what Rootskier said. the Bakken area is crazy booming. fast food workers make $20hr

I never understand why people throw out nursing, respiratory therapist and rad tech all in the same sentence. Money and job security should not be the reasons to get into nursing. By now, you've seen what a nurse does every day at their job. Either it's something you want to do, or not. Don't even think about it if that's not what you want to do for the next ten years.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Have you looked into oil field work in the Bakken (ND/MT) or other areas? It's going gangbusters for every other kind of work, I can't imagine they don't need electricians. Shitty job, but make bank and work two weeks on two weeks off (or similar).

Or what about this, electrician for NPS in Glacier Park: http://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/303182400
    Yes, I have been very seriously considering moving to ND. I have a friend who's been out there for a couple of months, cashing in. It's about the only place around that *is* actually booming, though I hadn't heard about the mid-Atlantic area...

I'm probably going to need shoulder surgery so want to get that taken care of now while I'm not working and get back to work in the spring. Spring seems like a good time of year to head to ND anyway, rather than the dead of winter...
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

The current shale play out here is Marcellus and soon to be Utica. Pretty much the same oil/gas work as elsewhere, with one key benefit of being able to live and work in/around bigger cities if that's your thing.