Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Will I miss not having a powder skirt in my new jacket?

The last two jackets I have owned both had powder skirts. It seamed like no matter how hard I crashed, or how nasty the wind/weather was, I never had snow or wind get into my jacket/pants when using the powder skirt.

I started wearing a helmet a couple years ago, and am looking for a new softshell with a helmet compatible hood (also, stretch, good breathability, and powder skirt). There are a ton of jackets out there that meet with criteria with the exception of the powder skit.

I am wondering if I just just say f- the powder skirt or keep looking?

I also like having a powder skirt, but I´m thinking of ditching it on my next coat and just get bibs instead. FWIW, I´ve never had any real issues with snow getting up my back or stomach when riding with a jacket sans powder skirt (HH something).

Every powder skirt in my jackets (686) were removable. First thing I do is remove them.

Bibs FTW.
    I haven't had a jacket w/ powder skirt in a long time and sometimes it gets old if you can't keep your layers tucked in. I fill easily with powder, as you can probably tell from my avatar, and bibs have kept the snow out well, except when I forget to zip up my sides and pit-zips, which is a whole other issue
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Never used bibs before, but thinking of trying them.

Stupid question probably, but do you wear your midlayer inside or outside of the bibs?

Kied is offline Inconsiderate Tree Killer
    Got a few Arc'teryx w/o them and honestly I'd prefer to have the option. FWIW Burton and Trew are the only brands I've found that make them low enough that they actually work. Most of the others are all so high up in the jacket they don't do shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kied View Post
    Got a few Arc'teryx w/o them and honestly I'd prefer to have the option. FWIW Burton and Trew are the only brands I've found that make them low enough that they actually work. Most of the others are all so high up in the jacket they don't do shit.
    Smarty (686) actually has a system where they have snaps that attach the skirts to the pants so they don't fly up. Again, I only wear 686 and I still remove them.

I like the skirt mostly to keep the wind out, especially riding up the lift when the jacket can get pulled up. It seems less jackets have one these days tho.

The new Arcteryx Rush has one.
    Best Regards,

UMKP

"Peter, You've been missing a lot of work lately".
    "I wouldn't exactly say I've been missing it, Bob".

I had one jacket with a skirt, and almost never used it as it was annoying, so I don't miss them. Patagucci makes a nice shell with a skirt, but I don't recall the name. I like minimalist gear, so a skirt is just an extra I don't need.

Your results may vary. I wear my mid layer over bibs when I use bibs.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

bibs are way warmer (could be a bad thing too).

but i don't like wearing a backpack while wearing bibs (doubled up shoulder straps).
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by snowquest View Post
    Never used bibs before, but thinking of trying them.

Stupid question probably, but do you wear your midlayer inside or outside of the bibs?
    I love my bibs, and I'd encourage anyone who skis deep powder to try them. I personally love my Westcomb Revenant bibs, but I've also heard great things about the Trewth bibs.

I generally wear my midlaying inside my bibs when I'm in the resort. When I'm touring, I rarely wear a midlayer on a regular basis: tee shirt to skin up; put on jacket at the top. If it's cold and/or we're moving super slow, I have a zip-up midlayer that I put on over the bibs.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I hear one piece suits are where it is at.

I don't cuz I haven't had a jacket with a powder skirt in 20+ yrs

IME at the hill any old jacket will do because the most important feature of a hill jacket is the huge zippered pockets to carry yer booze/dope/food/spare clothing and the outer shell should be bullet proof enough to resist tearing from tree branches

But you want different clothing for the BC where I find the soft shell clothing usually fits me close enough to keep out the pow OR there is always the "onie" for the ultimate in protection

I really like having a powder skirt, but I hate getting snow in my layers and down my pants.

So I use bibs and a powder skirt. I also wear vapor barriers when it gets in the teens and below. So you may want to take what I say with a grain of salt. Yes, I'm the guy at the lodge who gets funny looks because he's dressed differently than everyone else. I'm pretty sure if I ever have kids my attire will embarrass the shit out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by snowquest View Post

I started wearing a helmet a couple years ago, and am looking for a new softshell with a helmet compatible hood (also, stretch, good breathability, and powder skirt). There are a ton of jackets out there that meet with criteria with the exception of the powder skit.
    OP asked for a softshell with a powder skirt. I don't think I've seen any. Of course there is one of everything, somewhere.

Regular shells with powder skirts tend to fit differently than softshells I have had/tried on, which fit tighter and don't extend down as far.

Has it been so long since a good faceshot with a low-neck jacket?

For one I welcome the need to unzip at the bottom to remove all that terrible white stuff that somehow crept in.

Fuckin new-age bubbleboy-gapers!

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    I also wear vapor barriers when it gets in the teens and below. So you may want to take what I say with a grain of salt. Yes, I'm the guy at the lodge who gets funny looks because he's dressed differently than everyone else. I'm pretty sure if I ever have kids my attire will embarrass the shit out of them.
    But at least they'll have a dad who knows shit about both layering systems and skiing. I bet many of the TGR regulars (SFB aside ) will make awesome parents. If I ever live cold enough to need a VB on a regular basis, I'd definitely get one of the sexy RBH ones.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I'm pretty sure powder skirts do nothing. Maybe help keep some wind out.
    idk.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Hugh Conway Guest
    people actually like them? I always thought they were something magazine reviewers gave a shit about and everybody else thought they sucked.

Soft shells are generally stretchy enough that the hem cord at the bottom of the jacket works to keep the powder out. I've never missed having one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    people actually like them? I always thought they were something magazine reviewers gave a shit about and everybody else thought they sucked.
    I don't know where this trend started but I love having powder skirts in all of my jackets! Why on earth would you NOT want to have at least the option to seal up your waistline? It's really there to keep the cold out, not just powder.
    I guess it's not "steezy" enough for the hipsters or something... Tall tee's anyone?
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DropCliffsNotBombs View Post
    I don't know where this trend started but I love having powder skirts in all of my jackets! Why on earth would you NOT want to have at least the option to seal up your waistline? It's really there to keep the cold out, not just powder.
    I guess it's not "steezy" enough for the hipsters or something... Tall tee's anyone?
    no, it's the ones I've owned (Marmot, Norrona, etc) didn't do a good job sealing up anything. They were just a stretchy rubber thing that rode up and did nothing

I've had both and I'm on the fence. If the jacket I'm wearing has one, I'll use it. If not, no worries. I'll say that my Patagonia Rubicon jacket (one of the first generations) had it and the skirt was way too short and didn't do shit. Same with my Mountain Hardwear ProShell, but that is very much an alpine/climbing fit jacket.

On my FlyLow Quantum, the powder skirt works quite well for a few reasons: the jacket is cut just a wee bit longer than most and the powder skirt follows suit; FlyLow incorporated these elastic snaps to hook to any pant loops - brilliant; and I've found that how the jacket fits will determine how the powder skirt works. With all that said, the FlyLow powder skirt is something that is always used.

I should also say that the material that a powder skirt is constructed has a huge affect. My Patagonia had some weak elastic in the rear and the rest was drawcord; it was junk and rarely worked. Of the powder skirts I've used that I liked and were effective had plenty of stretch, but the elastic was tight. If there wasn't a way to hook the skirt to the pants, having grippy elastic is also a huge plus.
    Last edited by Bobcat Sig; 01-03-2012 at 04:27 PM.

(Without bibs,) I find the biggest thing a powder skirt does is keep the wind out. I like them on cold, windy days (or use bibs), but I'd rather not have them in nicer weather. Mine's removable so I can choose.

Powder skirts have always annoyed the shit outta me by riding up so far they became useless. That was until i got patagonia jacket and pants that has the skirt snap into the pants. Its the jams, like a onesie without looking like one.