Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Lighten up Francis. My comment was based on my poor buddy's experience with his (3rd Gen I think) '03 Viper. His factory engine burst into flames while he was cruising at 30mph in town and when Dodge replaced it, his next one burst into flames while on the highway. They never did figure out what happened, so Dodge bought it back and he got CTS-V.

I completely agree that there are some absurd blanket statements about modern cars here on TGR. See: Audis are the greatest car ever, unless you're talking a Subaru, and the doom and gloom comments about all the money people are going to sink into any car with more than 10,000 miles on it. . . but my comment was meant to be read as a one line quip, nothing terribly serious.

I think the Viper is an insanely fun (and like you mentioned, dangerous) car to drive - right up there with the new Corvettes. Before my same buddy's Viper got bought back, we went to a track day at Mid-Ohio together and swapped cars for a few laps. He was amazed at what a proper cornering car could do, and I was blown away by what the term "flying by the seat of your pants" really means - fun stuff!

Re your 996 GT2, do it. I've driven one about 30 or so laps and compared to my piddly old 996 C4S that thing is a rocket.
    Sorry about that, I read that to mean you were implying a design fault that causes fires.

The GT2 speaks to me. I need to start looking harder for one.

Chupacabra, you seem pretty set on the Cayman, and probably rightly so. It's a very well-mannered car that won't harshly punish mistakes, and it'll be a ton of fun to drive. Relative to lots of other things mentioned here, I wouldn't call it fast.

Best handling is a subjective term with lots of different meanings. If your meaning has anything to do with maximum cornering forces or best possible lap times, you're looking in the wrong direction. If you're looking for something that'll be fun on the twistys but not scare you, you're probably doing pretty well.

Here's a nice '10 S4, stick, pretty much loaded, 14K miles, asking $39K but you mentioned that you might go up to 35 for the Cayman and you could probably get this for that or close. Advantages are a real back seat, big trunk, AWD. Main disadvantage is that it's a sedan and I don't know if you'd go that way. Found several on Autotrader.com, this one had the lowest mileage but not the absolute lowest price. This was a ~$58K-$60K car new.

2010 S4

Thanks iceman - I'll look into those. If a dealer is asking $39K for that, then that's getting into the right price range. I haven't driven an S4, ever.

Also still considering the 370Z...
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

since aesthetics are clearly part of what you're looking for, it seems that the cayman S is a better fit for you assuming you can find an S with low miles in your price range (quick search says Yes).

personally i find the 350/370 Z's almost as unattractive as the typical nissan. YMMV and all that.

Well if you do get serious about them, make sure that you get one with the "sport differential" option, it really makes the car.

Here's a thread re: reliability

S4 Reliability

Glad to answer any questions here or by PM.

Turns out there is no longer an Audi dealer in Reno -- I knew they got sold from one dealer to another a few years ago, but didn't realize they closed down completely. This might strike Audi off the list.

OTOH, for merely double the budget, there's this:
    http://loufusznissan.com/preowned-in...2AM231015.aspx
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

370z is an awkward, heavy looking car IMO. Supposedly the engine sounds like shit too. If you go for a Cayman, maybe look at an 09+ due to new engine design.

Bobby Stainless Guest
    You can find used 09 GT-Rs for low 60s/ hi 50s.
    http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1

I really like the 370Z, both in styling and performance. If I haven't said so already here, the only things keeping me from buying one ASAP is (1) small cargo space, and (2) may be difficult-to-impossible to carry a bicycle on it. It's also got a lot of road noise, but I can either live with that, or put down some Dynamat and undercoating spray.

I still might buy one, instead of the Cayman. It's less expensive, should be more reliable, and will be cheaper to repair/maintain (access to the engine on a Boxster/ Cayman is about as difficult as it could get).

....dooood... S4 is calling you....

Drive one. Somehow. Hold on, Reno? Be there in 68 hours.

I recall like it was yesterday the first time I was tossed the keys to a 5000 turbo quattro and absolutely flogged that sled up a snow packed back road.

Done.

They are nice fucking cars. But you knew that.

btw, I root for two teams, the Patriots and whoever is playing the Giants.

Montclair!

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post

Montclair!
    Correction. You root for 3 teams. Pats, whoever is playing the Giants, and Audi.

Not that I'm any better, I'm addicted to BMWs and Porsches... And the damn Cleveland Indians, but that's another story.
    I still call it The Jake.

Montclair!
    How's that strategy working out?

Achtung!

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    How's that strategy working out?

Achtung!
    Last time, not so good. Next time, total domination.

Show me ze papers, old man!

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Correction. You root for 3 teams. Pats, whoever is playing the Giants, and Audi.
    I believe I am on the record as saying they are nice fucking cars.

Last time, not so good. Next time, total domination.

Show me ze papers, old man!
    Rolling papers, sure here. I know nutink!!

I had one of those ur quattros for a year, that thing was fucking sex on wheels, you couldn't make that that thing lose traction... God I miss that car.

Maybe it would be wise to hold out till some of the new cars starting showing up like the BRZ, FR-S, and new Genesis coupe? I don't know if I am way off base but one of my co-workers recently purchased a new Kia Optima and it's a pretty nice ride too, turbo Mitsu power.

For class it's hard to beat the Porsche though.

Bobby Stainless Guest
    I can't believe you don't own a M5 by now.

06 M5 w/ 35k miles for 35k list.
    http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1

Literally, the best bang for your buck. Also..... Seats in the back fold down, to make a V10 500hp El Camino.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nL-XdjtY70

^^^
    As sick as the M5s are, I think there's a reason that ad doesn't have any pics of the actual vehicle.

The new M5 - vastly superior to old M5. Smaller engine, but you get 560 hp and 500 torques. Damn!

My only complaint about some of the M offerings is God-awful interior colors. Baby-shit brown? Sure!
    I still call it The Jake.

Bobby Stainless Guest
    Yeah the new TTV8 is going to be sweet.

I guess if you are planning on a V10 M5, it would be best to wait till the new TTV8 M5 is released.

If you can wait til July, Allroad is coming back

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2012/01...oad-to-us.html

I can't believe V10 M5's are in the 30's.

Quote Originally Posted by sidewall View Post
    If you can wait til July, Allroad is coming back

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2012/01...oad-to-us.html

I can't believe V10 M5's are in the 30's.
    Meh. No height-adjustable suspension. Only 1.5" higher than the A4 Avant. Lame. Basically, Audi just raised the A4 and called it the allroad. Sort of like the Outback, no?

/threadjack

Much more of a boat, and not all what El Chup is looking for, but i saw this V10 s6 posted on craigslist here today. Another crazy deal on a late model luxury sports sedan

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2794858532.html
    ‎Preserving farness, nearness presences nearness in nearing that farness

Something about $80-100K BMW M/ Audi S or RS/ MBZ AMG cars just screams out "massive repair costs incoming." There has to be a reason that these are available for $30-40K after 5 years.