Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by yooper View Post
    HEY!!! There we go.... an alternate opinion. Aldo, what do you think of VAG's? I have that 911 and a Touareg now, and have owned one Audi, a Scirocco, a rabbit, a Cabrio (I'm going a ways back now..) Had good luck with pretty much all of them. Am I getting lucky? Kbahus has been getting me worried....

I kinda like 'em....
    Don't worry man, all cars break and need repaired. I have found, at least with the Euro crowd, that either you are a Mercedes guy, a VAG guy, or a BMW guy. Once you find what you like just stick with it. All three brands come with their own unique driving experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    btw, kbahus, thanks for steering eric clear of that, that, thing out there. Had he rolled around the corner in that, that, thing and pretended to know me from the internet, my guys wojuld have never let me hear the end of it..... Dodged a bullet!

Not read the tread or anything...

Having driven probably every car you might be somewhat interested in, I'd go with a RWD inline 6 BMW with a real stick shift, specifically an E46 M3.

Simple, pretty quick, and if working on an Audi/Mercedes/Whatever V8/6 cyl is like pleasuring a woman than the BMW straight 6 is a quick handy in the park.

Fuck practicality, get a Caterham.
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

Put a deposit on the Subaru BRZ and tool around in a used Nissan 350Z until it arrives.
    "Nothing is funnier than Hitler." - Smokey McPole

Quote Originally Posted by kbahus View Post
    Lol, I am glad I was able to check that dealer/car out before he flew out here. It was a wrecked pos, as were all the others the same shop had. Weirdest shop I have ever seen, it was like a Vehicross chop shop.

Are you doing HPFP's on all of these BMW's? Were they denied warranty? Just curious.

BMW is giving refunds for all past HPFP work. For all work in the past 2 years, the dealerships just cover under warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Man I wish I lived closer to Aldo's shop.

Montclair!
    I'm sorta glad you don't in a realistic productive day kinda way.

kBAHUS- I have to come clean these are all related to fuel level sensor issues as these things all seem to happen in 3's. As in next week I'll have 3 road calls for frozen fuel doors.

I am hopelessy devoted to the almighty VAG.

But that Tuareg, those things just plain scare me.
    Last edited by Aldo; 01-06-2012 at 06:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by That was Pontus View Post
    Fuck practicality, get a Caterham.
    Yeah, pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post

But that Tuareg, those things just plain scare me.
    Any experience with the Toureg aftermarket Transfer Cases on eBay for $500? Friends wifes Toureg TC is shot.

Quote Originally Posted by kbahus View Post
    My professional advice:

Stay away from VAG products including Porsche unless it has a factory warranty. The new 2010+ GTI's are nice and the ONLY Vag product I would consider buying, if you twist my arm an R32 too. The 2.0 TSI is a decent power plant. The earlier 2.0 FSI is garbage, the 1.8T is garbage, and certainly stay away from all S4 models unless you have a well stocked bank account.

Out of curiosity : There seems to be a lot of gneeeerhh about vag cars in this forum. Complaints about reliability & workmanship. Being on the old continent and the vag cars here is considered about the most reliable and wanted set of wheels around here. A lot of euro statistics seem to support it (TUV etc..)..
    So what gives? Is the american made vag concern cars made in mexico or the states?

I mean, in the close family (wifes,ours,my parents) we have and have had in total close to 10 different vag cars,gofls,passats, transporters,skodas (fsi,tfis,tdi)etc and in total I think in excess of 2mil km easily. I think the only issues have been a fuel pump and few ball joints.
    Obviously,thanks to our taxation, havent had any experience with the V8s,RS or Rs...

So,what gives?

[/sportscarthreadhijack]

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

At this point hardly any VW's on the road here are US-made. Their new factory is online and that number will be increasing rapidly, but every Audi and almost every VW in North America is euro-made, so basically no difference there. I think it's a matter of perception mostly.

Bobby Stainless Guest
    kbahus: Have you had to work on any of the new BMW TTV8s?

Why are Merc and BMW going to forced induction?

Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    Put a deposit on the Subaru BRZ and tool around in a used Nissan 350Z until it arrives.
    Here is another person whose opinion I would be inclined to take seriously, if the fucker hadn't abandoned us.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    Fuel economy standards are probably the biggest reason. Advances in forced induction are another, particularly in supercharging but also in turbos.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    In addition to fuel economy, its for the power in their sportier and higher range models. Cars are putting out crazy hp numbers now compared to ten or even five years ago and the easiest/only way to compete in the horsepower war is with forced induction.
    ‎Preserving farness, nearness presences nearness in nearing that farness

While Mr Helmet has a valid question worth discussing, I am being summoned onto the shop floor where the best mechanic in America is struggling and cursing over the fact that he is working on an "English piece of shit", so although I have some thoughts and will expand on them later, gotta go. Ironic eh? btw removing a transfer case out of a series IIa rover is the suck.

Do the English make any cars anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Do the English make any cars anymore?
    Weren't you just pimping Caterhams?

http://www.morgan-motor.co.uk/. And of course the (BMW) minis are made there.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I meant real cars. Not obscure toys.

Morgans are the shit in an old school way. Dont they still have wood frames?

Id think you were nothing less than a ballah though if you rolled up in one.

Caterhams are awesome but Id at least want some form of roof over my head if it was going to be my sole ride.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Morgans are the shit in an old school way. Dont they still have wood frames?

Id think you were nothing less than a ballah though if you rolled up in one.

Caterhams are awesome but Id at least want some form of roof over my head if it was going to be my sole ride.

A "ballah"?

The only Morgan owner I knew was way back in college. Ugly ass hippie that was always getting some because of that damn car. A life lesson learned early.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    At this point hardly any VW's on the road here are US-made. Their new factory is online and that number will be increasing rapidly, but every Audi and almost every VW in North America is euro-made, so basically no difference there. I think it's a matter of perception mostly.
    I thot they made some VW's in mexico ?

I wonder about VW's dealer network in the US, I have heard horror stories about their inability to work on TDi's (maybe cuz they are a lower % of cars sold than in Canada?) but maybe that is perception also ?

hippie that was always getting some because of that damn car.
    Exactly. I mentioned Morgan because I read an article about them doing well in China with a 3 wheel wood framed car:
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BUTM1MFSF6.DTL
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Just skimmed through this thread, and its interesting

If you have another vehicle you can use for the bike etc, and just want something for fun you cant beat the lotus Elise/Exige for bang for buck. The 'yota engine is pretty bombproof if its been looked after.

Porsche wish they could get a car to handle like the Elise They are pretty easy and reasonable to maintain and fuel economy - important these days - is good too.

I drive an Elise, supercharged one, as a dialy drive - performance is good 0-60 just over 4 sec your Caymen is 25% slower there and fuel wise you can get 42 mpg !! with the roof off and not driving like your grandma either. Handles like its on rails but wont win you anything in top speed which is about 160 max.

If you get a non supercharged, easy to convert with aftermarket parts and not too costly. Luggage space isnt the greatest around 50 litres IIRC. I considerd a Caymen before it but it was just like driving a luxury sports saloon ( sedan to you guys )

They are still made here in England too
    Find a Path That Captures Your Heart and Follow it to its End !!