Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    the forces may have taught fucktard some shit, but he forgot to listen to ullr and the cascades finished his sorry ass.
    hope his last hours were misery
    bobbyf

It's really sad for everyone.
    I think more vets have died/gone off the deep end back home, than overseas.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    Ummm.... because I'm a misanthrope?

"Ethical treatment of people"?

KIR, dim bulb.
    I still wanna know why this thread is here in "ski/snowboard"
    Neither of them were riding or climbing.
    So they need all the SWAT & other jonny laws for 1 dood, imagine if it had been a gang.
    It's not like it was the Culver city shootout. Pigs.

So if you're a misanthrope, what are you doin here?
    We don't need your hate here. There's obviously enough hate goin on.
    Or is it just so you feel good about yourself?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IntrawebArgue.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	106949

This is about the worst decline of a thread I've ever seen here.

RIP Margaret.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Schralper View Post

It was posted because it relates to Mt. Rainer, so clearly it belongs in teh Summits forum, duh.

Seriously, +++vibes+++ to the victim's family.

Quote Originally Posted by Schralper View Post
    So they need all the SWAT & other jonny laws for 1 dood, imagine if it had been a gang.
    It's not like it was the Culver city shootout. Pigs.

So if you're a misanthrope, what are you doin here?
    We don't need your hate here. There's obviously enough hate goin on.
    Or is it just so you feel good about yourself?

People like you really suck.

People like the scumbag who shot Ranger Anderson suck even worse. At least he's out of the picture now.

I don't really care what excuse can be dredged up to explain his behavior - he was a scumbag and good riddance.

Vibes to Ranger Anderson's family and friends.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

RIP Ranger Anderson.

Rangers have a really high rate of being assaulted, its sad to see this anger taken out on good people.

JC

Schralper, I hope you are neither as stupid or heartless in real life. Think before you post, dipshit.

So she chose go all code 3 chasing this guy down and cornering him with weapons because he didn't have snow chains? Stupid priorities leading stupid stubborn cops to force needless confrontation and provoke tragic loss of life.

Maybe someday in the future there won't be snowchain border-checkpoints with armed cops who will chase you down and fight to the death if you dare to drive chainless.

Very sad to hear this news. Found out when I pulled into Yose NP this morning to see the flags at halfstaff.

Looks like they found the suspect dead in a creek by latest media accounts.

Thoughts to the friends and family of Margaret Anderson.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    So she chose go all code 3 chasing this guy down and cornering him with weapons because he didn't have snow chains? Stupid priorities leading stupid stubborn cops to force needless confrontation and provoke tragic loss of life.

Maybe someday in the future there won't be snowchain border-checkpoints with armed cops who will chase you down and fight to the death if you dare to drive chainless.

WTF? I thought you were a reasonably intelligent person but that has to be the dumbest thing I've seen anyone write in a long time.

I'm not a big fan of the po-po most of the time but put yourself in their shoes for just 10 seconds and ask yourself why someone would blow through your chain checkpoint. What reason could that person have? Don't you think it behooves the LEOs to try to find out why that person didn't just stop like everyone else, and if he runs from them, to find out why he's running? You never know, he might be a deranged imbecile with a vehicle full of guns and body armor who'd already shot 4 people earlier that day. That being the case, I'm sure he was on his way to Paradise visitors center (the only place that road goes) to find his zen on the mountain and the guns and body armor were just something he liked to have along for the ride.

Also keep in mind that he shot her before she even got out of her vehicle. So, while the statement "cornering him with weapons" is accurate since she had a sidearm on her, it's not like she drew down on him and put him in fear of his life as you seem to believe.

Whether or not you agree with the existence of such checkpoints is not the issue. I can see the "unlawful search and seizure" angle to it, but despite your obvious disdain for authority and barring any argument about whether such checkpoints should even exist, checkpoints are a tool that cops use. As long as they do, I for one want them to chase down people who try to evade them because it's extremely unlikely that anyone would have a good reason to do so. Even if they did have such a reason (someone in the car having a heart attack and time is of the essence, say), they would not then be justified in killing the cop who blocks the road ahead of them.

Blaming the ranger in this case for getting herself killed is utterly ridiculous. There was absolutely no reason for that guy to do what he did. None whatseover. The world is a better place without him and worse off without her.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

^^^Thanks for beating me to that.

YetiMan - I hope you're fucking joking and I just missed it. If not, hopefully the next time an armed psycho blows through a barricade and isn't chased down, they happen upon you instead of another ranger.

Very sad and maybe we can help vets more with dealing with coming home after the wart. Not saying it's justified in any way, just sayin.......
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Yetiman,
    Actually she was likely called from the checkpoint to drive down from Paradise and set up a road block. The scenario you describe is at best misinformed. I remember seeing her up at Paradise ski touring a few years ago and she was nicely telling a guy to stop feeding a fox with dog food in the parking lot and he flat ignored her and she had to get on the radio. She was hardly the menacing figure that you envision.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

no Yeti, she had set up a roadblock after the murderer had blown through a chain checkpoint, figuring that since he had shot four people outside Seattle the night before, talking to cops might not go well.

What really sucks is that she called in after being shot, but they couldn't get to her in time as the killer kept firing.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

this is horrible. she looks like an awesome person. i hope that pos enjoyed a incredibly miserable death. i sometimes get to work with rangers in the northern presidentials and they are truly stand-up ppl. vibes to her colleagues and family.

RIP Ranger. In the end, Mount Rainier had the last word after one of her own was taken. Good bye and good riddance to the murderer.

I've been away from web, tv and pretty much any news over the holidaze... on the otherside of the mountain...so did they i.d. him as a suspect in the other shootings when he blew thru chain control or was chain control blowingby the only reason he was of interest and a road block set up?

Glad the fucker is froze and didn't get to harm anyone else.

How much law enforcement training do rangers get? They seem increasingly to be expected to be policemen rather than just keeping people from feeding the bears (and a number of them in MRNP and elsewhere seem to revel in the this role).

State Patrol should be dealing with traffic policing in the park IMHO...
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    I've been away from web, tv and pretty much any news over the holidaze... on the otherside of the mountain...so did they i.d. him as a suspect in the other shootings when he blew thru chain control or was chain control blowingby the only reason he was of interest and a road block set up?

Glad the fucker is froze and didn't get to harm anyone else.

How much law enforcement training do rangers get? They seem increasingly to be expected to be policemen rather than just keeping people from feeding the bears (and a number of them in MRNP and elsewhere seem to revel in the this role).

State Patrol should be dealing with traffic policing in the park IMHO...
    Think it was 'b', the only reason they wanted him stopped was the chain control blowingby.

Rangers have gotten a ton more training since 9/11. It's now ~9 months, half at Fed training academy, then 4 months at a training park. Annual refreshers, quarterly firearms quals, scenario training, hostage negotiation for some, and a few parks have full on swat type trained teams.

None of which do a heck of a lot if a shooter just rolls up and starts blasting...It will be interesting to read the full report in a few months...

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    Not that it really matters, but I'm not sure plates would have saved her. One article said he fired a shotgun at her, and another article said there were three bullet holes in her windsheild, that to me implies slugs were used. Won't slugs at close to medium range go through most light plates that a cop would wear?
    The plates I've seen are designed to stop 7.62mm. After going through a windshield I bet they would've stopped the slugs even if they were sabots. Are plates like that really practical for a park ranger though? They slide into a vest or holder - maybe just keep them in the car?

did not want to post something like this in this thread, but yea, first thing that crossed my mind.
    But then again seems the guy was looking to do some damage so if not the Ranger for chain control, who would the guy end up unloading on?
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

All I'm saying is this:

1) police checkpoints are always bullshit and shouldn't ever be allowed or tolerated by free Americans....let alone one for tire chains. Yay freedom, land of the free, we're all free...unless you have a taillight out or a shred of an illegal plant or you speak with the wrong accent or you have the wrong papers or you don't pay the insurance company or it's a day that ends in y or the sky is blue.

2) If you're some lady parky-cop unprepared to handle a standoff with someone you suspect of 4 recent shootings, you should be hanging back and waiting on backup instead of setting up a roadblock and provoking a gunfight. Good odds this guy was going to kill himself either way.

For what it's worth, I started this thread in the Ski forum for two reasons:
    1) Rainier is a VERY popular backcountry destination. I wanted folks to know the park was closed.
    2) Many folks around here have a strong emotional attachment to the mountain, and a great respect for the Rangers and Park staff who work to keep it clean and safe.

I hoped that acknowledging the tragedy might allow for an outpouring of support from the TGR community toward the Park community (and the victim's family.)

The original post made no reference to PTSD, gun control, etc. If the thread has become political, that's because you guys brought it there. Don't blame me.

Ranger Anderson gave her life to protect the lives of families who were spending their New Years Day skiing and sledding in the backcountry. Show some respect, gentlemen.

Quote Originally Posted by skimaxpower View Post
    For what it's worth, I started this thread in the Ski forum for two reasons:
    1) Rainier is a VERY popular backcountry destination. I wanted folks to know the park was closed.
    2) Many folks around here have a strong emotional attachment to the mountain, and a great respect for the Rangers and Park staff who work to keep it clean and safe.

I hoped that acknowledging the tragedy might allow for an outpouring of support from the TGR community toward the Park community (and the victim's family.)

The original post made no reference to PTSD, gun control, etc. If the thread has become political, that's because you guys brought it there. Don't blame me.

Ranger Anderson gave her life to protect the lives of families who were spending their New Years Day skiing and sledding in the backcountry. Show some respect, gentlemen.
    I don't blame you.
    But, let's not deny that this incident is not related to politics and specifically gun control as well as support for returning vets.
    It's sad all around. Saddest yet is to avoid discussion on how to improve the situation to avoid future incidents of this kind from re-occurring.
    Don't get me wrong, I expect nothing from a TGR discussion, except the ensuing insults that will follow this post.
    Ski, Bike, Climb.
    Resistence is futile.

All I'm saying is this:

1) police checkpoints are always bullshit and shouldn't ever be allowed or tolerated by free Americans....let alone one for tire chains.
    If we could always count on freedom loving Americans making reasonable decisions that don't infringe on the rights of other freedom loving Americans, checkpoints would never be necessary.

Unfortunately that simply isn't the case, as anyone who's ever sat in hours long delays caused by unprepared or impaired motorists can attest.

Vibes to all impacted by this tragedy.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.