Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Mt. Rainier Ranger murdered, manhunt follows

Incredibly sad news today at Mt. Rainier National Park. A whacko shot and killed a 34-year-old Ranger and is now hiding in the woods. The drama will continue to unfold for quite some time. For now I hope we can all lend our support to her husband (also a Ranger) and her two kids.

Seattle Times: Massive manhunt after ranger slain at Rainier

AP: Mt. Rainier Ranger Shot To Death, Gunman Sought

FYI: Park access closed until further notice.

----------------------------
    Edit: Rainier National Park expected to re-open to the public on Saturday January 7, 2011.

----------------------------
    Last edited by skimaxpower; 01-06-2012 at 02:17 PM.

What a tragedy for the family of the ranger.

And what a wet dream for Janet and Eric.
    From the article:
    "Congress lifted a ban on carrying loaded guns in national parks in February 2010 amid warnings by critics that the action would lead to gun violence and poaching."

"
    “THE EDGE, there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.” HST

It's so sad. Rangerd are just trying to insure families can walk around in the last nice free areas away from our concrete jungles. Scary, sad and really scary
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Absolutely horrible way to start the New Years.

Subject: Re: Nordic Patrol: No volunteers in Park today (Sunday)
    Thanks, Phil. Our main concern right now is everyone's safety. SWAT is following tracks and everyone at Paradise is holed up at JVC for now, 125 people. The person of interest is very experienced, post-Iraq military... So, just stay away for now, and thanks for all your support.

Kevin

If he has training in Afghanistan then he may be well aware of the harshness of the alpine. This could get even uglier
    Shameless spam: Trip reports and Gear reviews and if you want to support what I do follow me on Instagram @KyleMiller411

doughboyshredder Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo_lives View Post
    What a tragedy for the family of the ranger.

And what a wet dream for Janet and Eric.
    From the article:
    "Congress lifted a ban on carrying loaded guns in national parks in February 2010 amid warnings by critics that the action would lead to gun violence and poaching."

"
    Good point. A murderous felon would surely have left his guns at home if they were illegal in a national park.

Dumb fuck.

Can this now be moved to poli ass? Or at least the padded room.

Or maybe dumbfuck gonzo can delete his post, I'll delete mine, and then this won't deteriorate in a stupid argument about guns.

What a sad pointless story. I feel for the ranger's family, but also can't help but feel bad for that disturbed young man.

Let me say that the first comment is a crock of shit though.

"What a sad business. Young man serves in our wars, then comes home to stresses he is not equipped to deal with, and it blows up on him in a serious of situations that escalate out of control. Barnes was a soldier who does what soldiers do when confronted by "the enemy". They kill the enemy. In his overloaded mind, that park ranger was the enemy. It was his decision to do what he did and he should be held accountable for his actions. That said we should all have some empathy for him.

I wonder how many other ticking time bombs we've created. I do hope the military gets the message from this incident, and does real serious outreach and provide help to those returning service people who need and deserve it."

PTSD, even combat PTSD, does not cause people to be violent and it does not remove their inhibitions against hurting other people. We did not create this guy. The war might have fucked him up some, but this is neither the government's fault, nor the fault of the gun he used. Some people are just fucking crazy.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

rip ranger anderson

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    PTSD, even combat PTSD, does not cause people to be violent and it does not remove their inhibitions against hurting other people. We did not create this guy. The war might have fucked him up some, but this is neither the government's fault, nor the fault of the gun he used. Some people are just fucking crazy.
    total bullshit. rage is one of the major symptoms if PTSD.

Sad and tragic, she sounds like a great ranger and mother. Condolences to her family, friends and colleagues.

RMNP is a crazy place for a wilderness manhunt; I hope this ends quickly and as peaceful as possible. Random, but this kinda reminds me of Rambo I in a way, except this dude is most-likely guilty.

Now that the gov't has taken the troops out of Iraq this situation will become more familiar to Americans. Literally, the war is coming home with them, and that war will be hard to end. The battle of what the troops have seen and experienced and how it has permanently affected their minds is not something that one can just let go of easily. We need to be supportive and rehabilitate our troops or more events like this will occur across the country.
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

People say cops have it tough - and in many instances they do. But that's nothing compared to a ranger or game warden. You're out in the woods, possibly with armed people who may or may not be insane and/or tending a major ganja crop and you're usually completely on your own with very little chance of meaningful backup. And you have maybe a 10mm handgun. Sux.

Jer,

Game wardens bring the heat, MRNP rangers as well, In this very sad case, only plates would have saved her. She was the back up.

It appears this guy has Aryan gang affiliation, based on tattoos. May we find his frozen, starved body latter this spring, with out any more deaths.

Some news just broke about this on MSNBC, he mighta offed himself.
    Silent....but shredly.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    total bullshit. rage is one of the major symptoms if PTSD.
    Actually you're the one posting total bullshit. Responding to unexpected stimuli by becoming angry is a symptom of ptsd (startle response) but violence is not. Having ptsd does not remove people's inhibitions to hurting others.

Besides, its pretty freaking obvious this is not a case of someone's startle response going a little overboard. I think it's pretty clear this guy premeditated this to a certain extent, and any amount of premeditation rules out the PTSD startle response.

Just like that dude in Vail with ptsd from nam, the guy decided before hand he was going to walk into a bar and start shooting people. PTSD had nothing to do with it.

But yea, its the guns and the government that are the culprit here, not some scumbag pos with no regard for human life. You don't have to go to war to develop that trait. People like this will always be part of any society no matter what we do to 'make sure this never happens again' or assign blame after the fact. Furthering the stigma of people with treatable mental disorders doesnt help anything either.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Jer,

Game wardens bring the heat, MRNP rangers as well, In this very sad case, only plates would have saved her. She was the back up.

It appears this guy has Aryan gang affiliation, based on tattoos. May we find his frozen, starved body latter this spring, with out any more deaths.
    Not that it really matters, but I'm not sure plates would have saved her. One article said he fired a shotgun at her, and another article said there were three bullet holes in her windsheild, that to me implies slugs were used. Won't slugs at close to medium range go through most light plates that a cop would wear?

Looking at the video/photos of her vehicle, those were small to medium caliber rifle rounds, not anything out of a shotgun. I'm guessing 5.56.

i was simply responding to this...

PTSD, even combat PTSD, does not cause people to be violent and it does not remove their inhibitions against hurting other people.
    because PTSD is directly linked to violence.

Actually you're the one posting total bullshit. Responding to unexpected stimuli by becoming angry is a symptom of ptsd (startle response) but violence is not.
    no idea how could you possibly come up with that conclusion. where are you getting this info? i have read a lot, had a close friend come back from Iraq all fucked up. he was not violent, but everything i read said violence is a major issue amongst vets with PTSD.

Not to interrupt this interesting argument about PTSD, but RIP Ranger Anderson.

I have a friend who is a law enforcement ranger in MRNP. Last fall I jokingly asked her if she ever had to shoot anyone, she said her gig is really mellow and she has never had to use her gun.

Peace and vibes to park rangers in all our parks.
    I don't like being outdoors Smithers, for one thing, there's too many fat children.

- Mr. Burns

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by pdiddy View Post

Peace and vibes to park rangers in all our parks.
    ditto
    leroy doesn't read
    he just whacks himself in the head with his etard shovel
    then starts diggin the etard hole with the same shovel
    over and over
    and over
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

How come everybody's hating on this Iraq war vet?
    Cuz he killed an american?
    Never hear anyone boohooing when some dark skinned non american is murdered.
    What happened to "support the troops"?
    What do you expect when you've government trained killers w/ nuthin better to do?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	everyone-chill.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	106942

Schralper = DasCunt wannabe.

You've got some big shoes to fill, dickbag.

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    Schralper = DasCunt wannabe.

You've got some big shoes to fill, dickbag.
    i'm no wannabe
    i'm guessing your shoes?
    dickbag? is that where you keep yours?
    in a bag next to your vagina?
    fyi - people get murdered EVERYDAY!
    & instead of those PETA links, how about People for the ethical treatment of people?
    Last edited by Schralper; 01-02-2012 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schralper View Post
    how about People for the ethical treat of people?
    Ummm.... because I'm a misanthrope?

"Ethical treat of people"?

KIR, dim bulb.