Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Vehicle GPS vs Man Card

Help me settle this debate. Does owning a GPS for your truck automatically get rid of your man card?

I say yes. Buddy who just got one for christmas says no. Up until now, the only other guy I knew who owned one is the husband of one of my mom's friends, who wears spandex and drives a prius. You're a man. That is what maps and road signs are for. And driving around until you not only find what you are looking for, but know your way around the whole damn town.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Does your truck have a gun rack?

I refuse to get GPS. I'd rather look at a map and learn where i'm going, than have someone else give me directions.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

I say yes. Car GPS is an automatic ridding of the man card. My daughter just shit her diapers, hooray! Partial stop in that dept for three days. But yes, car GPS is a very un manly thing to have.

Tough question.

Maybe if your a tool that drives around the neighborhood with it on then yes it does. But sense I have a totally shit sense of direction and get lost more often then not they come in handy. When on vaca its nice to throw it on and just enjoy the drive instead of having to worry about where your going .

GPS came in the car but I don't know how it works. I mean I could figure it out, I just haven't bothered. I will confess to having my phone give me directions a few times though.

If you are in Butt, the answer is yes. I could learn whats in that hole in a week. Pittsburgh no, but you have to be able to parallel park the pickup in the city.

The other deciding factor would be is this a work truck for service calls. if not the guy's wife wife probably had a strapon ready to stuff in his Christmas stocking too.

Are there car based GPS units that are good in the woods? show logging trails etc?
    It’s the places you ride that are special, not you riding there.”

All stunts performed without a net!

Yes it gets taken away. GPS' seem to suck anyways, I'd rather be lost. Plus, if you're a man, you just have another nagging bitch telling you what to do, who needs that shit on the road?

Well it's not "car-based" but it can be set up for car use: DeLorme Earthmate GPS. You can get one enabled with satellite communications in case you get stuck in Bumfuck too. DeLorme is the source.

In-car GPS is great for road trips.

The portable ones have come down so far in price that you can get top-end ones for $100-150 on sale. I just replaced a several year old one with a much-larger Garmin, with lifetime maps + traffic updates.

The free ones on smartphones work great too, but my phone really heats up when running the screen for several hours. Not sure if that's a bad thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I say if this is really the shit you worry about, you aren't much of a man.

Men do what they want, and let lesser men worry what it says about them.

My ex MMA fighter roomate has a GPS in his repo man tow truck. I would not fuck with him.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

All those guys in the military that use a GPS must be a bunch of pussies too. GPS is a tool and a great one at that, but you better know what to do if that tool breaks.
    The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.

Most of the time GPS annoys the fuck out of me. Like when I went hiking with this dude who insisted on mounting it in my car and turning it on despite the fact I knew the trailhead we were going to and had been there before.

However, I can see they have their uses. A service truck would be a good place for one. Finding your way around a new city while on vacation or a business trip would be another good use.

I still prefer maps though. Guess it's just what I'm used to, but I like the "big picture" that maps give me. Hard to read them while driving though.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

don't know if this belongs here or not.. conversation from last night:
    My brother(older) just got the first cell phone in his life..(whether it has gps, I don't know) My 26yr old niece: "WHAT!? HOW DID YOU DRIVE?!"

I'm going with loss of man card

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    GPS came in the car but I don't know how it works.
    There isan automatic loss of your man card right there. Having it is okay, you don't have to use it, but not knowing how to operate it is shameful. Figure it out now, sans owners manual to retain your testosterone levels.

I have nothing against GPS, I use the maps on my phone, but fuck if I let it tell me where to turn. Might as well just start taking estrogen supplements and grow some man boobs.

There was an article in the LA Times about a dude's law suit with some GPS system because ^^^He used it to take a short cut across the Mojave desert on his way home from Vegas. He got his Porsche stuck out on some washboard road...stupid fuck, talk about loss of a man card.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Saying "man card" automatically takes away your man card.

shit.
    Last edited by systemoverblow'd; 01-02-2012 at 11:38 AM.

GPS is just leading to everyone becoming stupid as shit, never knowing how to use a map, have any sense of direction, or know how to get anywhere. Just wait until the day when GPS doesnt work and everyone will freak out because they cant live without it. a

Definite loss of the man card.

Only way I would ever use a GPS if the screen is the size of an ipad or bigger, doesn't give me directions, and is just displays maps.

Biggest thing that pisses me off is people using GPS for simple trips (such as my friends using GPS for a trip from atlanta to indianapolis...look at a map, take 75, 24, 65..how is that hard to remember?).

GPS is a great tool to aid in navigation.

I find GPS quite handy for recording way points (in UTM) and plotting them on a map or in Google Earth. Despite that, I would never blindly follow GPS without cross referencing with other landmarks or trying to orientated myself the local surrounding.

To blindly follow a screen without having a grasp on your situational awareness is bad news. Look at that Canadian couple in Nevada last winter who got lost on some logging road and the guy is still missing. That said, a car GPS might be handy to help you find that freeway exit on a major interstate when you can't pull over to check the map.
    "A lack of planning and preparation on your part does not make it an emergency on my part."

I have a GPS and still always carry an atlas in my car.

Yes, reading maps is more reliable (and I guess "manly"), but my atlas doesn't tell me where I can find food/gas/coffee/etc in a town I've never been to before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

I can get from town A to town B....but I use my phone navigation to find the exact location of the store or to find the estimated time of the trip.

I'll take a detailed road atlas over a GPS any day.

Plus it's something to give your wife to shut her the fuck up on those day trips.
    The best things in life aren't things.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I say if this is really the shit you worry about, you aren't much of a man.

Men do what they want, and let lesser men worry what it says about them.
    This.
    Quote Originally Posted by AKPogue View Post
    All those guys in the military that use a GPS must be a bunch of pussies too. GPS is a tool and a great one at that, but you better know what to do if that tool breaks.
    And this.

How is this even a question. A man always keeps his promises and arrives on time. Claiming you're a man because you got lost and were too cool for modern navigation just makes you look like a fucking retard. If a GPS helps you while out of town or otherwise, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Seriously, how is this a fucking question? And let's be honest, having a GPS guide with voice prompts is much safer than rubber-necking to some atlas in your passenger seat. There are enough mouth-breathers driving around today. We don't need yet another reason to NOT pay attention to the road.

Whoever said that discussing one's man card is grounds for loss of said card is spot on.

GPS is quite handy, especially if you have phone GPS with live traffic updates. Yes, I could go the way with an accident that's a half hour delay, or I could reroute.

Worrying about your man card = you never had one to begin with.

If you need a card to identify yourself as a man then there is a problem.

Dash GPS... just another distraction. The GF folks have one, we just spent 7 days listening to it give out stupid directions in light freeway traffic. Use a map, figure out where you're going and drive.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

Does being able to find random places make you somehow less of a man?
    Are you one of those chauvinists who can't ask for directions when they're really lost?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.