I started playing hockey

I really need to play more hockey but can't afford the league in Anchorage
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post

I really need to play more hockey but can't afford the league in Anchorage
    still savin for the cessna?
    pretty much the same weight and waist size i graduated hs with
    i need to cut the nicotine out of my diet.
    super stoked 4 my wife to be a good 15 lb lighter than the day we wed that's like a lb a year
    she's addicted to running yoga and skinning
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012...ps=sh_stcathdl

Interesting article, if poorly written, that seems to validate spats points without sounding all tin-foil-hat and cave-man.

Quote Originally Posted by Spats View Post
    Everything in your post is so completely, factually incorrect that I almost don't know where to start. You're putting yourself through misery for no reason at all.

1) There is no correlation between red meat intake and heart disease, or between saturated fat and heart disease. Period. End of story.

Circulation. 2010 Jun 1;121(21):2271-83. Epub 2010 May 17.
    Red and processed meat consumption and risk of incident coronary heart disease, stroke, and diabetes mellitus: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
    Micha R, Wallace SK, Mozaffarian D.
    Department of Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA, USA.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20479151
    Red meat intake was not associated with CHD (n=4 studies; relative risk per 100-g serving per day=1.00; 95% confidence interval, 0.81 to 1.23; P for heterogeneity=0.36) or diabetes mellitus (n=5; relative risk=1.16; 95% confidence interval, 0.92 to 1.46;

Am J Clin Nutr 91: 535-546, 2010. Meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies evaluating the association of saturated fat with cardiovascular disease. Patty W Siri-Tarino, Qi Sun, Frank B Hu and Ronald M Krauss
    http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/short/91/3/535
    “A meta-analysis of prospective epidemiologic studies showed that there is no significant evidence for concluding that dietary saturated fat is associated with an increased risk of CHD or CVD.”

2) Obesity has risen dramatically since 1978 -- when the government first told us to eat a low-fat diet (particularly low in saturated fat) and eat less animal products. We dutifully did so, and got dramatically fatter.
    http://www.gnolls.org/1086/the-lipid...art-1-of-many/

Type II diabetes is still skyrocketing, as is the heart disease that goes along with it. And we're eating less animal fat than ever. Did I mention that functional lifespan in the USA is now decreasing?
    http://www.gnolls.org/864/the-lipid-...art-2-of-many/

3) "Heart-healthy whole grains" are what's making us fat.
    http://www.gnolls.org/2052/how-heart...s-make-us-fat/

Eat more fatty meat (including organ meats), eggs, and vegetables -- and less birdseed and birdseed byproducts, e.g. "vegetable oil" -- and you'll be leaner, happier, and healthier than ever. Or we can keep supporting Monsanto and destructive industrial agriculture by eating lots of genetically engineered soy, corn, and wheat products.

We're humans, not birds or rodents. Grass seeds aren't part of our natural diet. Meat, on the other hand, is quite literally what made us human: the nutrients and calorie density of fatty meat allowed us to grow and maintain our huge brains. See references here:
    http://www.gnolls.org/1763/why-humans-crave-fat/
    WTF? No "Douche?" Spats doesn't have a reputation, afaik, of being a prick around here, but I was almost certain that
    once I saw my post quoted that I'd be on the receiving end of preparing to avoid the butt-hurt. Instead of just writing me off as the imbecile that I apparently am, I get an education. Thanks, dude.

But, I'm not in misery, as you implied I should be for cutting down my meat consumption. Again, this is not black and white. I'm not a vegetarian. I eat meat. I consider animal fat a delicacy, not an entree. And since I've had this lifestyle change, I feel great. I'm 35 and the same weight I was when I was 25-- 165lbs @ 5'9". But now I'm not skiing 6 hours a day, but rather in an office for 8. I don't have the same active lifestyle, but cutting animal fat feels great. Maybe though, the great feeling comes from also cutting processed foods and just trying to be more healthy in general. Maybe I shouldn't point directly at animal fat.

After watching my father go through his heart surgery I started reading Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease by Dr. Esseltyn. He claims to reverse (not just prevent) heart disease with his patients over a 20 year study of plant-based diets. He's fairly extreme in his veganism, but I take it with a grain of salt. I'm not aiming to reverse anything, as he is pushing on his elder patients. But as he mentioned: Cancer, Heart Disease, and Diabetes aren't prevalent in developing countries that primarily only eat plant-based diets. The big 3 diseases are mostly prevalent in the U.S., where we went to school being served tater tots, nachos, and chocolate milk for lunch. The land of Processed foods where hamburgers and steak are also as common as milk. It's there that I learned not to trust the dietary education under which I was raised. The women of Okinawa are the longest living group of people on the planet so they must be doing something right. They do eat pork and fish, but very little red meat. Tones of vegetables, too, and rice. I think the single biggest difference between both cultures is the consumption of processed foods. You definitely see more gardens in Japan than you do pantries.

I've been looking (barely) for research on the other end to counter the anti-animal fat campaign, so thanks for posting it up. I knew it was out there waiting for me and I'll do some more reading as I'm always interested. Nonetheless, I'll still be treating my red meats as delicacies to accompany my fresh veggies, fishes, home-made whole grain bread and rice.... nothing processed or from a convenience store. Maybe that's enough to avoid becoming one of the majority of 35+yo's in the US who are already developing heart disease, or the severe majority of seniors over 65 who already suffer from it.

It's funny. When I started exploring other dietary lifestyles after my summer vacation home to see papa, so many people were telling me "You're only 35, you don't have to worry about that yet." Right. I want to wait until I'm 65 and it's a problem that I can't solve anymore before I worry about it. :roll eyes: Even my doctor here in JP looked at me strange when I requested a lipid count and cholesterol evaluation.

"You're only 35." Yup. And someday I'd like to be 135. Hopefully a combination of diet and medicine make that possible.

6'3" 225. Been as high as 245 and got that down to 215 by taking lots of walks and hikes with the dog and doing some p90x. Dog died and the walks/hikes stopped. I started running in Oct. Could barely do 60 seconds. I'm up to 25 min without stopping but I'm not losing weight because my diet sucks big time, I love to eat! I'm hoping that since my aerobic endurance is better I can complete the p90x while still running 3-4 times a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Nohillsnearby View Post
    worthless without pics... :-)
    Yea.... Because posting my bare chested photo online has ALWAYS led to good times....

Down 11lbs over the last 4days, I'm following the simple "strep throat" plan.

It's not as glamorous as it sounds.

hahaha. forgot about "that" photo...
    It's 5 o'clock somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    WTF? No "Douche?" Spats doesn't have a reputation, afaik, of being a prick around here, but I was almost certain that
    once I saw my post quoted that I'd be on the receiving end of preparing to avoid the butt-hurt. Instead of just writing me off as the imbecile that I apparently am, I get an education. Thanks, dude.
    Everyone here whose paid attention knows exactly where Spats stands on the issue. He's an advocate for eating red meat and the paleo style diet. If it works for him, that's great, but it's not the only diet that works. There are plenty of healthy vegans and vegetarians out there.

Whenever I feel the need to drop some weight I use the revolutionary method of consuming less food.
    Crazy but it sure does work!

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Everyone here whose paid attention knows exactly where Spats stands on the issue. He's an advocate for eating red meat and the paleo style diet. If it works for him, that's great, but it's not the only diet that works. There are plenty of healthy vegans and vegetarians out there.
    In an evolutionary context we are all the same and paleo/primal is generally a one-size-fits-all diet. That’s the whole rationale behind it, actually. As for those healthy vegans/vegetarians, this is one of the many examples of confusing correlation with causation in nutrition. They tend to also avoid sugar and processed food, which is a very large piece of the puzzle relative to SAD. Anecdotally speaking, though, I think you’d be hard pressed to find those that have tried both vegetarian and paleo diets claiming that vegetarian is healthier.

I lost over 30 pounds (~180 lbs. to ~150 lbs. at 5’7”) and five inches off my waist (35” to 30”) in six weeks following Spats’ program (thanks again Spats!). I don’t pay much attention to my weight anymore as I’m into fine-tuning now and weight is a very crude metric. As Spats mentioned, the weight (fat) loss was only one of many health benefits I noticed. I plan on eating this way for the rest of my life.

I recommend anyone looking to trim down (well, anyone at all, for that matter) to try Spats' “Eat like a predator, not like prey” for at least one month and see how it goes. What’s one month over a life span? My own experience has been one of incredible changes and discovery and I can’t imagine why anyone would want to deny themselves the same opportunity.

I tend to agree, Lizhnik.

I think there are WAY too many carbohydrates in our present diet, as a whole...from simple carbohydrates to complex carohydrates.

Yes...I said complex carbs too. Everyone already knows that simple carbs, while great for quick energy, are to be minimized in the diet. sucrose, high fructose corn syrups, soft drinks, etc. But while a large prcentage of the complex carbs are generally good for us...the leafy veggies, legumes, whole grains, etc, it is the HUGE percentage of these complex carbs in our diet, ESPECIALLY processed grains like breads and pastas, that diminish their natural healthiness simply in the high amounts of these that we consume.

We are not horses...we are not range feeders. We are omnivores. Now if the complex carbs that we were taking in were from leafy veggies and legumes, that would be one thing...much better. But our modern complex carb intake is heavily loaded towards the "grains" side of the complex carbohydrates.

But the biggest problem I think facing us is the government-sanctioned use of the simple carbohydrate (simple sugar) high-fructose corn syrup. That shit is fully subsidized by the gov because it the midwest corn agribusiness lobby is HUGE and powerful. There is NOTHING good about high-fructose corn syrup!!!! I wish our gov would stop stupidly subsiidizing that crap and the damned corn-ethanol also.

As far as proteins....it makes sense to pay attention to WHAT type of proteins. Red meat is not inherently bad if taken in moderation. We are not leopards, so we need more than red meats, but red meat is not the sin it is made out to be if eaten smartly. And eating huge steaks every night while getting little exercise is not smart.

There is no smart food. "Smart food" is paying attention to what you're taking in. Learning about it...and adjusting your diet so it's not heavily loaded to one side.

--

EDIT:

One thing for SURE....kids are getting fatter. Adults are getting fatter, too, of course. But most folks are unlucky enough to have inherited a metabolism that gives them a "stomach" and "love handles" after 40 or 45.

But KIDS....kids used to basically be thin. The odd one would be fat, but not often. Nowadays it seems at LEAST 50% of the kids are overweight. WTF is going on here?

It's NOT just that kids are doing less physical activity, although that is partly to blame. Kids in MY generation used to spend freaking HOURS in front of the TV....but we were STILL thin. So it's not just lack of activity. It's something else. Sure, back then we'd also be climbing trees, jumping off shed roofs, running around everywhere...but that still doesn't amount to the difference.

The difference is HIGH-FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP. The increased use of high-fructose corn syrup in practically ALL prepared food exactly correlates with the alarming increase in overweight kids.
    Last edited by Alaskan Rover; 01-13-2012 at 01:52 AM.
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Here is the worst of the worst:

Complex Carbohydrates topped with shitloads of simple carbohydrates. Figure out what I mean.

Sliced complex carbohydrates fried in complex carbohydrate-derived hydrogenated oil.

Carbonated simple carbohydrates in a can.

Youtube, TV, couch-surfing, TGR-surfing, facebook-surfing and much less exercise.

Combine all the above....mix in a bunch of grain-derived liquid FERMENTED complex carbohydrates....

And you end up with FAT.....loads and loads of it !!!!

--
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."