Shot Ski Construction help - holesaws?

Constructing a shotski because there is no snow at Squaw. I have done a lot of reading around here and the interweb and the best method seems to be to use a hole saw to drill holes and sink the shot glasses. Ideally, I dont want to drill all the way through and use velcro to secure the shot glasses (as demonstrated here:http://www.skinet.com/skiing/photo-g...rself-shot-ski)

This is great but I am a total home improvement/construction/building shit JONG. What hole saw should I use to drill this thing? Most of the ones I have seen either have a drill bit in the middle or are just the circular saw.

Example 1:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31TumJjdPrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	7.5 KB 
ID:	106818
    http://www.amazon.com/Hole-Saw-Varia...5351304&sr=8-2
    This looks like what I want but will this thing work with a standard drill?

Example 2:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11HyhA3u8lL._SL500_AA300_.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	4.8 KB 
ID:	106817
    http://www.amazon.com/BI-METAL-HOLE-...351304&sr=8-15
    I have seen a lot of examples of this type of hole saw. What is the purpose of the drill bit in the middle? Is it janky to have a hole poking through the bottom? Will something like this fit in my standard shitty drill?

Any additional tips for construction are appreciated. I want to have removable glasses to clean them and replace broken ones.
    Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.

another method is to buy chair tips. sold in 1/4" increments can match the bottom diameter of the shot glasses. screw through the bottom of the rubber tip, use washer.

glass held tight by slight vacuum and removes with a twist for cleaning.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...Id=54303774264
    Battle lines being drawn, nobody’s right if everybody’s wrong, old people speaking their minds, getting so much resistance from behind.

Hole saw #1 requires this:

Which will make it look like #2.

It is a pilot drill, which centers/guides the saw portion.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    We can tell you think you're awesome- it's pretty obvious. I love it when you try to convince us all too, It's like a tripped out Willy Wonka boat trip across the galaxy of fail you call an existence and it is indeed awesome to watch. I mean, your fail is so dense it has become a "black hole of fail" that has a gravitational pull strong enough to attract the fail of others, hence the "dating sucks" thread scenario.

the shot-ski up at the hill is an OLD wood ski I could see that a heavy ski with metal in it would be hard to drill thru ,the holes are big enough so a standard shot glass goes half way thru the ski and sticks in the ski with a friction fit,after the shot the glasses come out for easy cleanup ...you gotta be sanitary if you are selling alcohol

Made one last week and just used a paddle bit. Ended up drilling about halfway and the cool thing was that the shot glasses basically wedged in there, so no need for velcro.

back in college my roommate and i made one. We just epoxied the hell out of the glasses and washed the ski by hand.

If you're on a budget then cake it on.

Quote Originally Posted by cl1953 View Post
    another method is to buy chair tips. sold in 1/4" increments can match the bottom diameter of the shot glasses. screw through the bottom of the rubber tip, use washer.

glass held tight by slight vacuum and removes with a twist for cleaning.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...Id=54303774264
    This is exactly what I did and it works awesome. Glasses never fall out on their own.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by freeturns View Post
    back in college my roommate and i made one. We just epoxied the hell out of the glasses and washed the ski by hand.

If you're on a budget then cake it on.
    This is what I did too. Lots and lots of epoxy; rough up the ski topsheet and the underside of the shot glasses before gluing.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by gg8983 View Post
    Constructing a shotski because there is no snow at Squaw. I have done a lot of reading around here and the interweb and the best method seems to be to use a hole saw to drill holes and sink the shot glasses. Ideally, I dont want to drill all the way through and use velcro to secure the shot glasses (as demonstrated here:http://www.skinet.com/skiing/photo-g...rself-shot-ski)

This is great but I am a total home improvement/construction/building shit JONG. What hole saw should I use to drill this thing? Most of the ones I have seen either have a drill bit in the middle or are just the circular saw.
    If you use a hole saw like the ones in the pictures, you have to drill all the way through the piece. If you drill halfway through, you just get a pilot hole and a circular notch in the wood. To make a half-depth hole you would need a paddle (spade) bit as goldenboy said. I have never used one on a ski, they work in soft wood, it could be a mess if the ski has a metal topsheet.

Friction fit could be your friend, perhaps with a rubber O-ring in a hole through the ski? I never made one, but tight fit is good, IME drunk people can exert unexpected torques on gear.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    This is what I did too. Lots and lots of epoxy; rough up the ski topsheet and the underside of the shot glasses before gluing.
    Same, can't get any easier than glue. Never failed back in uni.

Another option without really damaging the skis is to use either rare earth magnets or some really high quality Velcro. Put some on the planks and some on the bottom of the shooters.

I would personally mount a wood block to the ski for the shooter to sit in. Spade bits work well but you'll have the pilot hole. Forstner bits are another option. They allow you to bore a recess with a minimal pilot hole. They are expensive though.

marine grade epoxy
    stay outta my line

Thanks for the suggestions.

I picked up a pair of 1 1/4 inch rubber stoppers but they were a bit too small for the shot glasses. Shot glasses all seem to be 1 1/4 inch at the base. I will find 1 1/2 or 1 3/8 and should be good to go.

The ski I am using is an old rossi bandit b4 so it has some metal on the top so the spade doesn't sound like a good option.
    Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.

Honestly..if you are having this much trouble figuring out how to make a shot ski, you probably should just stick to drinking out of the bottle.

No snow/boredom leads to over analyzation

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Jong-un View Post
    Honestly..if you are having this much trouble figuring out how to make a shot ski, you probably should just stick to drinking out of the bottle.
    you need to thro away the bottle top

Been fooling around with different adhesives for a batch of shot skis I'm making for gifts.

Found the humble hot glue gun is the ticket especially when gluing acrylic shot glasses right to the ski top sheet.

Just rough up bottom of glass and ski top w 80 grit and clean well with nail polish remover.

Could not be easier.

Now take a lap.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    That Don't Make No Sense

Screw the shot ski.. build one of these!

That's freaking awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    That Don't Make No Sense

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    Screw the shot ski.. build one of these!
    I like the, "oh, wait... there's more underneath" moment.

JPH, is that you? If so, you bear a strong resemblance to an old friend that I've lost touch with. So much so, I did a double-take watching that.

Not me.. that is a 'troller at Jay named Tepper.

Posts here on occasion as djtnut, or something like that.

If he is your long lost friend, feel free to pm me. I can probably get you back in touch...

Thanks, but it's not him. I saw his name on vimeo, and he's a little younger, but brother from a different mother for sure.