Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Chugach Ski Touring...A more affordable option

We are launching our heli assisted ski touring program this year after last years trial version. Yurts are located deep in the Chugach above and below tree line allowing access to them even when the weather is not the best. All of our yurt sites are not permanent and can be moved very easily to assure us of good ridding conditions. Last year PNH was granted a non-motorized ski touring permit for this area. You will not have heli's buzzing over your head. Given all of the snow this year in AK its looking to be a good season. We currently have over 15' of snow above 2500' now, its more than we had all of last year.

Sorry for the spam here but I know many of you want to experience the Chugach and this may just be an option for you.

Check it out...
    http://www.alaskaheliski.com/rates/heli-yurt-touring/

Quinner
    PNH

your 2 guides are good people. one of em even posts here alot so your spam is only helping a fellow maggot live the dream so no need to apologize. Hope y'all kill it this year

Brennan and Jeff are great guides. Were lucky to have them. Still snowing in AK...

Quote Originally Posted by PointsNorth View Post
    Given all of the snow this year in AK its looking to be a good season. We currently have over 15' of snow above 2500' now, its more than we had all of last year.
    Thanks for rubbing it in. This, and friends' photos of skiing Hatchers Pass. : (

Hopefully it will start snowing tomorrow!

Good idea but jeeze that's expensive... (like 3 full days of heli skiing expensive...)

Can I just rent your sweet tent for a few nights and bring my own food?
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Good idea but jeeze that's expensive... (like 3 full days of heli skiing expensive...)

No kidding on the cost although for 5 guided days probably not too bad. Definitely not a yurt though, that's a wall tent with a yukon stove.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Don't know where you can get three full heli days for less than $2000. Nowhere in AK that I'm aware of...

This really isn't that expensive given that you are being dropped in and picked up from the zone by heli, it is fully catered (all the food is also being hauled in somehow) and you've got two guides along.

I would be interested in knowing exactly where the zone is though, or at least seeing some terrain pictures to see what kind of lines are available.
    "I just want to thank everyone who made this day necessary." -Yogi Berra

^^^the website shows some shots.

I am for sure considering this.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

That's good shit. I'm in.

Quote Originally Posted by wcf3 View Post
    Don't know where you can get three full heli days for less than $2000. Nowhere in AK that I'm aware of...

This really isn't that expensive given that you are being dropped in and picked up from the zone by heli, it is fully catered (all the food is also being hauled in somehow) and you've got two guides along.

I would be interested in knowing exactly where the zone is though, or at least seeing some terrain pictures to see what kind of lines are available.
    Juneau locals with APD is ~$600 a day maybe a bit more or less depending on how many runs you do.

I mean the price is right for what it is but I'd rather eat peanut butter and not pay for hotels and stuff.

Honestly the terrain is as good as it gets. Our reputation is at stake if its only mediocre. The tents are a nice warm glorified Arctic tent with the arctic stoves. They will drive you out if you keep a log on the fire.

Yes you may be able to go heli for $600 a day but I question that one unless you are only doing a few runs close to town. The APD boys are great bunch and wont disappoint but again, its a heli trip.

This trip we are now offering is a full catered trip with heli drop offs. You can even add additional drop offs if you like.

Here is the deal of the day....4 of you come from this thread and each of you will get a $500 discount per person. For those that do not reference this thread or are already booked, you will pay the $1950 (and thats a great deal) for the week. Mention this thread AND come as a group of 4 and each of you will pay $1450 for the week.

Again, our reputation is at stake on this to make certain its a good trip and deal! There is only one first season. This is it for our touring program. We will be naming it as we go.

I hope to see you soon...Not to mention, come ride the oldest chair lift in North America...Mt Eyak.
    Quinner

1450 for a week, with a Heli drop off? Holy shit that is awesome. Thanks mang!
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

wait, it's $1950 per person, not for the tent? Man, jet fuel must be expensive.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

$1450 for those that mention this thread and yes heli drop off and pick up not to mention staying at our lodge pre and post trip.

You also get all your food and extras. You only need to arrive with your ski gear and sleeping bag. We have everything else.

Folks can mock the Arctic tent but they are seriously warm, spacious and comfortable. They even have a floor. These are not like what you think of as a traditional tent.

I know Brennan and Jeff will be posting photos here from their exploratory trip last year.

I wasn't mocking the wall tent... God knows I've spent many many nights in one, many of those in the cold. Just pointing out it's not a yurt, traditional dwelling of the Yakutsk.

I love that area, the whole east side of the sound really. I've guided hunts in the area and always been blown away.

Quote Originally Posted by PointsNorth View Post
    Honestly the terrain is as good as it gets. Our reputation is at stake if its only mediocre. The tents are a nice warm glorified Arctic tent with the arctic stoves. They will drive you out if you keep a log on the fire.

Yes you may be able to go heli for $600 a day but I question that one unless you are only doing a few runs close to town. The APD boys are great bunch and wont disappoint but again, its a heli trip.

This trip we are now offering is a full catered trip with heli drop offs. You can even add additional drop offs if you like.

Here is the deal of the day....4 of you come from this thread and each of you will get a $500 discount per person. For those that do not reference this thread or are already booked, you will pay the $1950 (and thats a great deal) for the week. Mention this thread AND come as a group of 4 and each of you will pay $1450 for the week.

Again, our reputation is at stake on this to make certain its a good trip and deal! There is only one first season. This is it for our touring program. We will be naming it as we go.

I hope to see you soon...Not to mention, come ride the oldest chair lift in North America...Mt Eyak.
    Quinner
    Nice! Still to rich for my blood... I'm thinking Cordova for Spring Break though... Wish you guys had some kind of dirtbag cheap way to pay for just a half day of heli skiing and a few runs.

At any rate I've got a cabin in CDV I can use and wanna ski Mt Eyak! Someday when I have a real job I'll let you fly me around.

Juneau locals with APD is ~$600 a day maybe a bit more or less depending on how many runs you do.
    By APD I assume you mean Alaska Powder Descents? According to their website:

http://alaskapowder.com/dates-rates/

their full day price is $975. They do have a half day option priced at $595 (~$600). Of course it's possible that there is a local's deal that isn't posted, but that is rather hard to confirm. I do know that some of the Valdez outfits occassionally give deals to Valdez locals in a more or less ad-hoc fashion.

None the less, their quoted day rate is similar to that of most operators and not even close to $600.
    "I just want to thank everyone who made this day necessary." -Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by wcf3 View Post
    By APD I assume you mean Alaska Powder Descents? According to their website:

http://alaskapowder.com/dates-rates/

their full day price is $975. They do have a half day option priced at $595 (~$600). Of course it's possible that there is a local's deal that isn't posted, but that is rather hard to confirm. I do know that some of the Valdez outfits occassionally give deals to Valdez locals in a more or less ad-hoc fashion.

None the less, their quoted day rate is similar to that of most operators and not even close to $600.
    its a locals thing...You can pay per run with a minimum number of runs at APD and SEBA (I think) full day is usually around $600 which is like 6 runs you can add more than that at a price around 100 bucks per run... or you could just rent a bird with 5 friends for an hour... My friends all seem to have pretty damn good days for less than $400 a person (with no guide or anything) hour of hobbs time out of JNU is some badass skiing.

Regardless PNH is stepping up and doing something cool props to them!

^^^^^ some special privlages should not be bragged about here. You could destroy a beautiful thing for your "friends" and the Juneau locals.

Quinner, looks sweet!
    Last edited by Ted Shred; 12-31-2011 at 10:22 AM.

Looks like a great time and I'm excited for the option.

From looking at the info on the website and the equipment list it seems like it is set up more for experienced mountaineers and backcountry skiers. It would be great if you could get a more newb program set up.

I would love to ski in Alaska and have some backcountry experience but not extensive. And heli is just too much money. So this sounds like a great option.....but sounds like I am not your target customer.

I will keep my eye on it for next season.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    not to be mean but for that loot I can stay here

shit in a flushing indoor toilet and sauna every night
    and be guided by a legend

and ski some pretty sweet terrain
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Kites?

I think this sounds sweet. Heli drop off, all logistics taken care of (no loss of time to set up camp), ability to tour to a second zone/tent, and a couple people who know the area; these are all worth good money.
    I've always wanted to head down and check out Cordova...

Now do these guides have kite experience? Is there kitable terrain?

Tent + Couloirs + Kites + touring + food + favorable wx + good people + local knowledge = Happiness

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not to be mean but for that loot I can stay here

shit in a flushing indoor toilet and sauna every night
    and be guided by a legend

and ski some pretty sweet terrain
    haha, mr burns. i used to work for him. it was fun pumping him for stories. great watching him get wound up. hope i'm still full o piss n vinegar like him when i'm that age. cambell isn't quite the chugach but a great spot