Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Line_Skis View Post
    Influence hooks up a bit more and isn't as planky/burly as the Mo'Ship. Sure dudes who like big ass crazy skis and 10 ft tall Norweigians loved the Mothership, but it wasn't a practical ski and didnt fit in the line, hence it's dimiss. RIP Mo'Ship.
    Sounds sweet! How do the edges/bases compare between the two? One thing I love about the Motherships how tough they are. I've hit dozens of rocks on them they hardly have a scratch. If the Influences are the same/similar, then they just might be my next ski.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickeymotto View Post
    Sounds sweet! How do the edges/bases compare between the two? One thing I love about the Motherships how tough they are. I've hit dozens of rocks on them they hardly have a scratch. If the Influences are the same/similar, then they just might be my next ski.
    We're using the same extra thick edge and base material as in all our skis. All good and nice and burly.
    check out the gear! @ http://lineskis.com

I also have the Opus with Plum's on em.. have about 24 backcountry/research days on them so far. Very fun and well balanced ski. Super poppy and amazing in pillowlands. My first problem is the centre mount makes it quite hard to do steep switchbacks, as there is so much ski behind you that you need some great flexibility to reach your leg in front of the other ski. Second issue is the soft aspect of it, makes my boot hit the plum when in no-riser mode with quick gradient changes. Not a huge problem but can be a bit frustrating. Besides that, I've taken them everywhere from 55 degree crusty couloirs to 15 foot pillow drops to bottomless bowls and tight trees.. love em in all conditions (minus ice)

Quote Originally Posted by endure View Post
    .... My first problem is the centre mount makes it quite hard to do steep switchbacks, as there is so much ski behind you that you need some great flexibility to reach your leg in front of the other ski. ...
    I forgot about this detail in my review, but definitely true. I've toured on center-mounted skis before, and they'll make you want to kill yourself on super steep switchbacks.
    No, the real point is, I don't give a damn
    - Carl

In case you missed it, it snowed 3+ feet in the wasatch starting on thursday, and it was about damn time. As such, after spending pretty much all of the last 4 days skiing on the Opus, I wanted to take a few seconds to update/add to this review.
    In short: I've decided this is the most fun ski i've ever been on.

The first round came in inverted, pretty wet (13-15%ish?), and the ski still pretty much killed it. It planed up on everything even at low speeds, and floated pretty high in the snow. The high-in-the-snow part was awesome, and I was really surprised by how much it lets the ski surf/slarve in wet snow. The more I ski the opus, the more I love how easily they slarve/surf, and they maintained this characteristic in heavy snow where other skis i've been on can get locked in. Same story with feeling hooky: not once did they hook up in any of the snow from this cycle.

Everything obviously got even better when things got drier, and they were stupidly lively, surfy, and fun in the light stuff. The range of turn shapes you can rail is pretty amazing, and I still haven't entirely wrapped my mind around how a ski with such a short tip can charge light snow without throwing you over the bars. In terms of speed limit, you probably can't straightline a 45 degree slope in 10:30-on-a-weekend level cut up pow, but it's much higher than I thought at first. They're amazingly lively and fast edge to edge in soft bumps, and the light weight and center mount make them so easy to throw around. I've also found that you can mach heavier-traffic-zone chop on them if you set them even a little on edge, and they're stupidly easy to carve in soft snow.

I think that the Opus brings all of the recent innovations in material, flex, camber, rocker, and sidecut together into what's probably the most balanced soft snow ski i've ever been on. I also skied both my lotus and prophets in the same storm just to compare, and both sets ended up back in the car pretty fast. The lotus still kills everything on the I-want-to-ski-untracked snow at mach schnell front, but isn't nearly as versatile as the opus in mixed conditions. The prophet 130 out-floats the opus, but honestly, just isn't as fun. I hate to say this after 3 pairs of prophets, but the only reason i'm not selling them after skiing the opus is because I'm not going to huck shit on the Plums the opus is mounted with.

So, if you're in the market at all, either figure out how to demo some or just throw down the cash - you'll be stoked.
    - Carl

So, if you're in the market at all, either figure out how to demo some or just throw down the cash - you'll be stoked.
    I guess you just sold a pair (for Line)

I've been tele skiing a lot lately (recovering from an injury - still gotta take it easy). But have also decided I need to get the stoke back for alpine turns (it kind of sucks when you start trying to squat the inside leg on alpine skis, and feel you've totally lost the "feel" when the heels are locked).

EDIT: Trigger pulled. Got a nice deal from a local distributor. Stoked. Will report later when I get to ski them properly.
    Last edited by Jiehkevarri; 01-24-2012 at 12:18 PM.
    "Average summit heights are around 1000m to 1200m but on the high glaciers of the main Lyngen Peninsula there are summits over 1400m with Jiehkkevarri being the highest at 1834m above sea level."

Quote Originally Posted by Jiehkevarri View Post
    Trigger pulled. Got a nice deal from a local distributor. Stoked. Will report later when I get to ski them properly.
    Awesome - you will be so stoked. Definitely post up your impressions after you get out on them.
    - Carl

Definitely post up your impressions after you get out on them.
    Definitely. Just got the skis. They are a pice of art (Pollard's contribution stands out for sure).

I guess I get to test'em next week (on local mole hills, Southern Finland...we have good snow at the moment though...might get some nice turns after all. Going to the Alps (Engelberg) in the beginning of March...that's the real test then)
    "Average summit heights are around 1000m to 1200m but on the high glaciers of the main Lyngen Peninsula there are summits over 1400m with Jiehkkevarri being the highest at 1834m above sea level."

Did you mount yours on the line or back a bit? I'm looking at getting a pair for about 80% area/20% bc. I already have a dedicated dynafit rig, so these would be for deep/soft snow days-all around the mountain terrain (no park or switch)-colorado/northern nm...

Quote Originally Posted by endure View Post
    I also have the Opus with Plum's on em.. have about 24 backcountry/research days on them so far. Very fun and well balanced ski. Super poppy and amazing in pillowlands. My first problem is the centre mount makes it quite hard to do steep switchbacks, as there is so much ski behind you that you need some great flexibility to reach your leg in front of the other ski. Second issue is the soft aspect of it, makes my boot hit the plum when in no-riser mode with quick gradient changes. Not a huge problem but can be a bit frustrating. Besides that, I've taken them everywhere from 55 degree crusty couloirs to 15 foot pillow drops to bottomless bowls and tight trees.. love em in all conditions (minus ice)

Definitely post up your impressions after you get out on them.
    Ok, first impressions.

Me: 83kg (around 180lbs), 183cm (that's around 6feet), ex-mogul skier. Ski fast but probably like to turn a bit more than most people here. Slight tendency of backseated skiing (ex-racer friend says that all the 80's/early 90's mogul skier looks the same to him...so, on the other hand, I could say I have a bit more "neutral" stance. Also still ski some park, so I am used to more center mounted skis.Oh and could still throw the meanest penciled out helis off the smallest possible hits...see the avatar, heh)

Skis tested: 185 Line Mr. Pollard's Opus mounted with 11/12 Marker Dukes on the recommended line. Boots: Dalbello Il moros w/ stiff tongue

Skis I have liked: Armada JJ 185cm, Atomic Bent Chetler 183cm (tele), 06 Gotama 190cm (the recommended FR line mount was just a tad too back to my taste), original Völkl G4 (198cm) back in the day, old Salomon CR lab for park (has lots of "pop")

Skis I haven't liked: not that many...old (03-4?) Dynastar Intuitive Bigs were somehow weird, I never quite got those working well

So-so: K2 skis in general, perform well but are somehow lazy and "dead" (Seth line, have a pair of Extremes for park - which work well for the purpose but are kind of "meh" in the end)

Love/hate: (older) Head Im 103's 193cm (for obvious reasons, get into the backseat and feel the punishment!), Pocket Rockets (loved them on the powdery trees and jumps but crud and hard snow= teh suck)

Conditions: Local mole hill (Southern Finland), some 300ft of vert. Hard but not icy groomers, crappy uneven moguls with patches of ice here and there and also some little pockets of some 5cm (two inches) dusty very cold new snow.

Initial impressions:

Carve really well. The sidecut is very nice for our small hills. Even with skis this big you can work the skis and get some nice GS (and even smaller) round turns. It is yet to be seen can this be a problem in the real mountains? I guess if you just let'em run straight there is (some) speed limit. On the other hand, I like to carve, so probably not a problem for me. The rocker should handle "hookiness" in funky snow but that also remains to be tested later.

The snow was hard but definately not icy...edge hold was suprisingly good. And the skis felt more stable than e.g. Armada JJs. Nice snap out of turns...you can lay trenches where there is a brief airborne moment between the turns (that's very cool feeling in my book, looking forward to try that on some wind buff snow ) I guess torsinional rigidity is something Line engineers have thought properly with this product?

On the (crappy) moguls you could definitely feel more effective edge than the previous "fun shapes" I've tested. Worked much better than expected. I've skied my Bent Chetlers a lot lately (teles) with similar conditions, and it is sketchy at best. Fresh edges and rock hard alpine boots (it was -17C cold) can affect to that feeling too (after lots of tele, alpine skis just truck no matter what!). I am still recovering from a shoulder injury: so, I probably only ski at 70-80% of top speed currently. In the moguls I felt that the Opus works better the faster you go (do'h - still a "big" ski in that matter). There wasn't that much soft snow that you'd get a decent float...so hard to say anything else that few turns in soft "pockets" were allright (I guess they always are).

The centered stance feels weird at first (on the flats, on the lift etc.) but once you start carving at speed I was not noticing any problems. At slow speed, shorter turns and in the moguls I felt like I have to adapt just a bit - from powering the tips to a slightly more neutral stance. Not sure if this is due technique problems though...too much tele and you get just confused what is the proper way to turn after all...

Conclusions: The stable feel was kind of suprise. If they still work as surfy as e.g. JJ/Chetler on the pow (and as everyone states), this is a really versatile ski. JJs are probably a bit lighter than these but the difference is not significant (IMHO).

You can't say this is a "stiff" ski but I still wondered how EP makes those nose butters looks so easy, heh. For me this ski felt very "all mountain" capable and this was also a point for me to buy these...I think I am even going to hit some jumps later in this spring with these (just don't want to trash them too much in the park!). I'll also write some more when I get to test these in softer snow, and bigger mountains in March. Actually we are getting a decent dump at the moment. Just not sure if I get to ski it (due other duties)...funny that there isn't much of vert but this is the third winter we get a lot of snow from a baltic sea "lake effect" (cold front coming over open sea and dumping al the moisture to the shore).
    Last edited by Jiehkevarri; 02-03-2012 at 03:37 AM.

Sweet review man, glad to hear that you're stoked!
    - Carl

Hi,

Just had my 3rd day on my 185 Opus's. Mounted with Barons smack on EP's recommended line. (Me: 5'7", 175lbs,, skiing at Mt. Baker, WA).

It was sunny and +5 (T-shirt weather) as there was a temperature inversion.

It was just a bit icy until the 3rd run. The Opus ripped on the firm snow. You just feel really really centered on the groomers. Even when going really fast. As you roll the outside ski it locks in nicely and makes great, bigger radius turns at speed. You can push firmly into the ski as it feels really centred and surprisingly stable. Also, when going way too fast, you can release the edge and slide to bleed some speed. You find yourself blowing by other people as it feels so good to let them run on the groomers.

Super soft and deep slush in the afternoon, lots of people struggling as the slush was very deep (lots of snow this week before the warm-up , tons of mini avalanches everywhere). On the steeper runs skiis would cut way into the mush, and you had to do jumps turns to get out of it to make the next turn. The Opus performed very well. Not super quick to be able to do zipper lines in bumps, but you can turn these pretty quick through soft bumps. Definitely pretty forgiving in tough snow conditions.

And they were a blast in the soft snow in the natural pipe. Super fun to pop up on the lip, very stable to land, easy to ski backwards (which I am just learning). I was trying some of EP's "smear" type turns in the deep slush at the top of the pipe. Fun.

I have been looking for another ski for groomers and non-pow days. But am going to wait for the Feb sales.....and am not convinced I need anything else besides the Opus as it was a great groomer ski in soft, slush conditions.

PS - just picked up the Dakine EP Pollard DLX heli pack. White pack with red trees matches the Opus skiis.

K
    Last edited by kc_7777; 02-03-2012 at 09:40 PM.

Sweet review man, glad to hear that you're stoked!
    Thanks.

Stoked for sure!

I got to play a little on soft snow (mini mini lines on the trees)...first impression again really good. After a couple of days on the skis I feel like I am totally adapted to the mount point. And as said, I also feel EP&Line have really put some thoughts for this - the ski feel really balanced.

EDIT: Ski very easily assbackwards too. I am doing less and less tricks/park skiing every year (now 38), so this isn't a big deal for me...but hopefully the Opus inspires me to try some nice and stylie, shifting "Nimbus" 180s, heh.

Can't wait to get to ski in the Alps...couple of weeks still.

EDIT:
    I was trying some of EP's "smear" type turns in the deep slush at the top of the pipe. Fun.
    Big up. I guess this type of fun&playful skiing is where it's at, after all!
    Last edited by Jiehkevarri; 02-05-2012 at 06:52 AM.

Update:

Skied some SL stubbie gates. The Opus DO have tons of sidecut!

Even some race coach wondered how I could bent the skis to carve so tight. He was kind of suprised when I explained the design of the Opus (he was in the belief that all rockered/pow skis have an almost straight sidecut).

Kind of scared how they perform in breakable crust etc. with that much sidecut? Anyone have some experience?

BUMP.

Skied the Opus (185cm, mounted on the line) for a week in Engelberg Switzerland.

We got two dumps, both around one foot (around 40cm and 30cm) - perfect powder conditions.

At first the centered stance required a bit of adjusting. I feel that these skis need quite active style in powder, not just plowing lazily through but using the "pop" of the skis and driving them. I guess on the flatter parts Opus would be easier to ski mounted just a tad (1-2cm) back. On the steeper runs (e.g. the upper part of the "Laub) the centered stance gives the promised "neutral and surfy" feel. Friend was skiing ARGs and on couple of occasions I felt like I could throw my skis almost as well sideways and "schmear" my turns.

We tried some smaller drops (maybe 3-5m) and the long tail and rocker is really nice for landing stuff. My skiing was "rusty" for not being on the slopes that much (an early season injury) and I surprised myself stomping stuff easily. Too bad the trip was only one week, I guess with some more miles, it would have been nice to try some slightly bigger drops/jumps too. Natural terrain threes would be so suited for these skis...but I just didn't got the touch for that stuff (yet).

All in all, Opus is FUN. Trying Pollard style slashes on banks/windlips will make you smile (if you are in to that kind of stuff at all). The tight sidecut might have it downsides when really hauling ass and/or breakable crud (don't know - haven't skied that stuff yet) but on the other hand, the design of these skis make you try stuff you probably wouldn't try with some 30+m radius big mountain chargers...

I am pretty happy with these skis. Would be nice to try 192cm though...the slight tip dive I felt on flatter parts would be eliminated with the longer running lenght I guess?

EDIT: Next test will be some park skiing. I have a pair of 179cm K2 extremes but somehow I feel these would be much more fun even in the jumps...I don't do any really technical stuff or lots of rails, so I'll probably go and try some 360s etc. in the park next.

Slight highjack.
    Any Tele skiers on the Opus or 130, trying to pick a fat ski. The Mantras are great but willing to try a fatty.
    Where did you mount them, too?

Pre-ordered 192 for next year... I demoed the 185 and was def. to small for me (6'4" - 205 lbs), but they were fun as hell, so light and jus an all around cool ski... This ski is so far anything I have owned or liked as my current quiver is ON3P 191 Wrens, 191 BillyGoats, 186 Viciks - stiffened and 187 Movement Thunders... Love stiff charging skis and never skiied center mounted style skis so had to give these a try and should add a new fun factor for me... They were so light, so easy to swing around, fast as hell edge to edge, poppy and could not believe how easy they were to turn sideways and sluff speed... No doubt a little worried about stability, but hope with the 192 this concern will taken care... One thing is for sure they are absolutely beautiful skis...

Any Tele skiers on the Opus
    Friend has a 185 Opus mounted with Hammerheads (we got a nice little group deal from a local distributor).

His opinion is that w/ tele you should mount way back from the recommended...he went something like -7cm, after tried -3 or -4cm if I remember right...I couldn't believe that at first (I guessed - 2cm to -4cm would do) but he also answered that with teles the mounting point is much more dependent on your personal style & preference, so it is hard to say anything too general.

The recommended mounting point is very forward though. And as said I'd probably go -2cm now for myself (and even consider doing that for the next season maybe).

such a fun ski. I have zero complaints, and I agree with everything that everyone has said about the ski in this thread. I'm just hoping these don't lose too much pop or life in them after 150 days

I just ordered some MPOs 178s. I would have gone with 185s but the only 185s I could find were $300 more than what I paid for the 178s. I am 5'10" 160+, level 3 but in my mid 40's I am not quite as aggressive as I would have been 10-20 years ago (although I can still wear my son out skiing, he is 18). I am looking for float and quick turning in the trees. I think these will be great for me. My son has SFB 178s and I liked the quickness & balance, and my friend has ON3P Billygoats and I liked their float. I think these will have the best of both. But I am debating on the mounting point. I could gain some effective length by mounting 1-3 cm back from the standard mounting point, but I like the balance I felt with my sons SFBs and I don't want to mess with that much. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Brad1138; 03-26-2012 at 08:00 PM.

Hi,

I would definitely mount on Line's recommended line.

And 6cm = 2.4 inches. So we are talking approx. 1.2 inches less in front and in back on the 178's vs 185's.

Though you are correct in thinking that moving back creates the impression of length. My 185 Opus mounted at -20mm looks (feels) shorter than a 178 LibTech Freeride NAS mounted at -50mm. The greater early rise of the Opus (vs LibTech Freerides) has a lot to do with it too.

The real reason I say mount on the recommended line is that my Opus's just feel very very balanced all the time (185s mounted on the recommend line). They are effortless to ski anywhere in all conditions (when I want my ass kicked I switch back to the LibTech NAS Pows).

Incidentally, was skiing my 185 Opus's last week, saw another pair, was a big tall skinny dude on the 178s (I am short 5'7"). When the 185 is side by side with the 178 you hardly notice the 1.2" longer length in front and back.

KC
    Last edited by kc_7777; 03-28-2012 at 11:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    Hi,

I would definitely mount on Line's recommended line.

KC
    Thank you, UPS just delivered them. Going to drop them off tomorrow to get bindings mounted and I hope to take them up Thursday, could be a foot of fresh I think I will go on the line. Messing with the balance was my biggest concern also.

Brad

Got them back with a pair of Marker "The Squire" bindings. Clipped in, it will take a bit to get used to them looking so short in front.

So fucking stoked - just picked my new 192 Opus up at my shop and they are sexy...! Have never owened a ski like this and really cannot wait to get on them... Nice job line and EP...

BUMP

Alright, I'm gettin a pair this year, but I'm struggling between 185 and 192. I'm 5'10" and 180lbs. My everyday ski is the 186 Influence 105. I love it, and would hate to go any shorter. That being said, I used to have the 195 Mothership, and it was a little too much. But I'm thinkin the Mothership was so stiff and hard-chargin, the light and playful Opus should be alright in a 192, right? Or with the added surface area, will I be happy with a 185?

I'm not a straight liner, I love to turn, but I think the 192 should be plenty easy to turn still. Am I gonna wish I had gone shorter, or will the 192 be just what I want?

Second question: How big a guy is Pollard? I know he skis the 185, but he also goes backward a lot more then I do...
    Skiing, whether you're in Wisconsin or the Alps, is a dumbass hick country sport that takes place in the middle of winter on a mountain at the end of a dirt road.
    -Glen Plake