Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
    $66 Holiday Rates... gotta love Sugar. And the bus loads of Floridiots pay it without hesitation to ski mud/grass.

Today is probably the best day this season, 2 inches of fresh. Let the shitshow begin...
    Hmm, when I lived there the ticket price was fucking $70 for those SWEET conditions. Sugar can be good when they get some real snow though. I lived there one year when we had an 8 inch day, and the skiing was awesome (this is north carolina we are talking about). I worked at an even smaller hill out there before I moved to CO. I remember teaching snowboarding one day in January and I should have been teaching wake boarding, there was a 20 foot puddle in the middle of the teaching area.

Wow, I feel slightly, slightly better about not being able to go out due to the lack of snow

doughboyshredder Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tone capone View Post
    Ha Ha, why don't you take a trip there and let me know how FUN it is. You could do a T.R. all about the soul of the sport.

Those poor people don't look like they're having fun, they look like theyre...surviving?
    I lived in Charlotte / Lancaster for a year, 8 years ago.
    I drove to Sugar one day. I couldn't bring myself to do it. The slopes were barely covered in snow,yet packed with people and the lift lines were some of the worst I'd ever seen.
    I went to appalachian a couple times, and hawksnest a couple times. I realized I was going to have to give up on snowboarding if I stayed there. I moved home that summer.

Cataloochee has been at capacity the past 2 days, keep in mind they only have 50 acres of terrain and an uphill capacity of about 2,200/hour. Floridiots love going to NC for skiing over the holidays. Cat's FB page the past 2 days:

"The ski area is at capacity at the current time and will reopen at 4:30pm. Tube World is sold out for the rest of the day and will be open tomorrow from 10am until 10pm."

Too bad they don't have a webcam for Tube World.

Dang, place is looking pretty good now. Better than most places here in the mid-Atlantic.
    watch out for snakes

from when this thread started to now is pretty amazing.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

hahahaha holy shit, I just witnessed 5 crashes simultaneously. This is fucking awesome

Its better than nothing. Last Christmas we spent a couple of days up there w/ family - it snowed 12" or so on the 26th. You think the mud is bad, you should see a boot top powder day.

It is what it is - my only complaint is that it could be managed a wee bit better - no corrals, slow lifts w/ limited vert and full on "Euro style" lift loading - that combined with never-evers, church groups and the like makes for a junk show of epic proportions.

That said, mid week (other than Xmas) when is snows, and its been a while between trips out West - I hold my nose and pay the man - low turns are better than no turns

two falls within 20 seconds of opening the page. WROD win!

too bad we dont have a webcam for this place. http://www.cloudmont.com/

girl i worked with this summer was from here. didnt believe here when she said they had a ski resort, but alas... skiing in alabama

cloudmont is the shit yo! You can find a TR or 2 here if you search.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

The second it started I saw two knuckle-dragers collide. They were flat out for at least a minute. The one got up and left while the other was still down. Awesomeness.

What is that white material they are on today?

Just saw a double ejection... once he regained his composure from such a high impact, life altering crash, he packed it up and walked the rest of the way right down the middle of the madness.

This is addictive.
    "That's what she said."

they are at it again

http://www.skisugar.com/sugarlive/
    watch out for snakes

man, they've come a LONG way since the beginning of this thread when it was all mud and grass.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Funny, these scenes could have been at Steamboat last weekend during the "Texas Week Music Fest"

Conditions should be near perfect this weekend. Too bad it's MLK weekend.

Actually, the bad winter so far might have scared some touristas off so those people might not have it so bad. I haven't been to sugar in about 20 years, and after one nice day at Loveland in the snow a week ago i don't think I'll break that streak this year. Unfortunately, the best skiing starts at RDU.

Quote Originally Posted by BackCountryNC View Post
    Conditions should be near perfect this weekend. Too bad it's MLK weekend.
    QFT

A couple observations:

1. Could they possibly fit any more people onto a trail. It almost liked planned destruction

2. The actual surface conditions look better than all of Tahoe right now.

must stop watching.....

http://www.skisugar.com/sugarlive/indextop.phtml

the summit is open for skiing the steeps
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

^^^^^^Wow! Is that a hotel in the background? It' fucking huge! I had no idea so many people actually stayed multiple days at a place like this.

Also, that run looks steeper that anything in the Tahoe basin right noe, FML.

They are condos - it looks really out of place and worse in person. Lots of folks are up there in the summer - its a good 10-15 degrees cooler - which makes a huge difference.

http://sugartop.com/

those condos were built fast in advance of the NC ridge law that banned those things. really crappy view of them from the trails on calloway peak / grandfather mountain. but it kinds of reflects general development in the area. ugh.