Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Car recommendations

Moving to Eugene, OR in a few days from Switzerland and will need to buy a car fairly soon. I know very little about cars (swiss public transport spoilt me) so thought I would ask here.

Budget is flexible but about 8k-14k, important to me is lower running costs/high reliability, lower depreciation (I may be selling within 12-18 months), so could stretch more if I don't lose too much value too quickly.

Will just be me + GF mostly, but Often road trip and camp, so a bit of space is nice. Obviously snow handling is important, but I'm unsure if I need a full SUV. Would a suv be worthwhile to access trail heads in Oregon?

My ideal car may be a Subaru outback, but they are quite expensive and would have to be at least 2006/100k to be affordable. Audi a4 wagon is similar.

Lots of jeeps, ford explorers, etc but I know little of their reliability/costs/depreciation.
    Any advice much appreciated.

Front wheel drive cars with snow tires on the work well in winter conditions, but not being familiar with Eugene OR, maybe winter tires are over kill??? If that is the case, then AWD or 4WD is the way to go with all season tires to avoid needing to chain up in most cases. As far as cars go, if on a budget, I would just buy a Honda. Normally very reliable and good resale value. But there are many Asian cars that likely fit the front wheel drive, pretty reliable formula.
    Remember, if the Subaru is expensive for you to buy, it will likely hold that value pretty good when you resell it. I like Volvo wagons. They can be had pretty reasonably once 4-5 years old, maintenance really depends on how well it was cared for, they do come with AWD, but if you can buy it cheap, it will likely resale cheaper.
    Look at autotrader.com for prices on car out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

AWD is great if you live in the valley and head into the Coast Range or Cascades (or beyond) a lot. You don't need dedicated winter tires unless you're heading into the snow often (assume you will be since you're posting here?), and even then you don't need winter tires...you can just buy a set of chains to slap on in the worst conditions.

A Subaru Outback wagon or Forester is a great choice even if it costs a bit more...agree with liv2ski that resale value is likely better than for other makes & models. You can get a nice car in your $8K-14K range. Autotrader is ok but also look on eugene.craigslist.org. Corvallis, Salem, and Portland also have large Subaru dealers & lots of owners so don't limit yourself just to Eugene, if you're able to look around a bit.

As the owner of three subarus--one previously and two now--I would warn you that they do tend to have expensive problems around 100K--they need a timing belt change at 105K (as do a lot of similar cars) and have had a problem with head gasket leaks in the years you would be considering. 4WD or AWD is very useful if you live in an area where you are constantly having to take chains on and off (commuting from Sacramento to Truckee and driving around the Truckee Tahoe area--I can't speak for Oregon). I've been going back and forth for 30 years with 4WD and AWD and have never needed chains, but I didn't buy snow tires until moving up here full time. I would stay away from full size SUV's--lousy gas mileage and bad handling.

^good points but the Outbacks are still excellent cars. Do an internet search for "best year Subaru Outback" for more info on what years had the worst problems and what years weren't as bad. Since so many of them had problems you can find a lot of those cars in the low 100k range that have already had the work (timing belt/head gasket/ect) done. There's a lot available in the Portland area, something mechanic/OCD owned with lots of service records fixing the common problems would be a good bet and also have excellent resale.

if you can find a good condition TDI wagon for a good price, that might work for you. i've had my golf TDI for 3yrs now. it does the trick for me in the worst of winter (studded winters on it, but no AWD like the subaru). apart from the timing belt change, it's standard maintenance on this car, and it's designed for the long haul (and to be fuel efficient as all hell). if you go that route, get a 5/6sp, not an auto. just some food for thought.

Another vote for Subaru. If for no other reason, they are extremely popular in the NW and Eugene especially. Heck, slap a bumper sticker on there about how enlightened you are about an environmental cause and you just might make money when it comes time to sell. There are also many folks who are very knowledgeable about subarus in the area...... Kind of a cult following.

SUVs are sweet (I have a lifted Chevy Tahoe) but they do suck the gas. Unless you are going to some especially crazy places off road, the Subaru should do fine. I prefer to drive my 4x4 1992 Subaru loyale on the snow over the Tahoe.

Have fun in Eugene. I live about an hour north and grew up an hour west on the coast. Closest ski area is Willamette Pass (hour and a half) and its decent. Recently put in their first high speed chair.

Another Subie vote. We got an '07 outback at the end of '07 and it has been terrific. Looked at used and it made more economic sense to buy a base model car new (at the time less than $20k). Used were to much beaucoup $$$.

Not sure about how much gear you bring when you camp but a new or newish impreza hatch with roof racks might be worth a look.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Picking a perfect used car and finding that perfect used car are unrelated. If you're here for a short time then you're stuck with whatever is available on the day you're shopping.

If you're stuck then get a 4th gen Dodge Caravan (2001-2007). Cheap, reliable, roomy and there's lots to choose from. Subies are nice too.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Thanks very much everyone for the useful advice. Sorry for the late reply but was busy moving in and starting my new job.

Will go look at cars this weekend since the mountains seem to bee lacking snow around here.

I'll recommend the Subaru again, but if you're going to be doing snow driving, whatever you get make sure it can take chains.
    Some cars have low profile wheels / wheel wells and can't take chains without them bashing into the suspension boots or brakes.

if you need chains on a Subaru to access trail heads in Oregon you're doing something wrong. Snow tires probably wouldn't even be a requirement this year.

I have a jeep and love it. I have an 05 GC V8 and get almost 20 mph highway. I'd say Audi makes a beast of a car but are $$$ to fix. I tend to side with cars form the US of A. Ford and Chevy are making some nice models. Pretty reliable too.

You need a real VW ski hippie van! We have a friend who put a jetta diesel in it, and they're awsome.

As usual in these threads the TGR consensus will be - "get what I've got"
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Skip subaru, at your budget you are buying in right as others are dumping ahead of problems. If you will drive something a little older, I'd look for a high milage XJ or third gen 4runner It will already be fully deprecated, so you won't lose on resale, and there is a good market for them. It's the right size, and fully capable, and cost of ownership is lower than later model suv, since they still have smaller tires, brakes, etc.

Go w/ the forester. Consumer reports has it ranked as one of their most reliable small SUV's and if you're looking at older models they say that it holds up better than the outback. Find a base model. You could easily find an 07 in your budget as long as it's not fully loaded. I'm getting 26mpg city w/ mine and am extremely happy.

Edit: and definitely don't go w/ the turbo model. more fun but more problems and there's a good chance it was driven harder.

Another vote for the 4runner, check local craiglist.

4 runner is good, Honda pilot, Honda crv, newer gen rav 4 is same size as older gen 4 runner. Subie is good as well. Maybe consider element as well
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

If you're dumping it in 12-18 months then get a used Forester or CRV. Think mainstream.

Dude my buddy had a mid 90s 4runner. He beat the shit out of it. His dad tool it and gave it a lil TLC ( brakes rotors tires etc...). It's still running like a top today. In reality. Just look and see what's still on the road doing fine. You can run VWs with no oil too. I ran my scirocco like 4 mi with no oil and it still ran for another 25k

forget the gas guzzlers

go for a PRIUS, Chevy Volt or a SMART car

that will give you true street cred at all the Eugene coffee houses, vege collectives, and record stores. Plus anyone with a fixie will give you a thumbs up for saving the planet
    you'll thank me later

Peace out

CAT

^^ you're a pussy. (AYTISWWT [and yes, there is something wrong with that])

4runner or truck. No cars. ABSOLUTELY DO NOT BUY A FUCKING PRIUS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

My vote would have to go for a Jetta TDI. I have a 04 wagon which is great on gas and i have not had any problems with it in the snow with tires.