Page 67 of 110 FirstFirst ... 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,675 of 2740
    Quote Originally Posted by mogul5480 View Post
    Not sure if this is a new thread or what, but I have a "traveling with kids" question for the collective. I am looking for a non-Wasatch, non-California Mt. Collective family trip in April (non Wasatch b/c we are already hitting that in Jan. Non CA b/c that's where we live already). Requirements:
    1) Something with terrain worth flying for (so that disqualifies Sun Valley and its ilk, as far as I can tell).
    2) Something where my wife (intermediate), my daughter (6-yr old intermediate skier in ski school), my son (3-yr old. Can ski but prob won't be potty trained enough for ski school) and I can all be relatively close to each other for ski school pickups and the like (So Aspen is out, from what I understand, insofar as Buttermilk and Highlands are separate mountains and none of the 4 seem like they have terrain appropriate for all).
    3) Relatively accessible to a decent airport.
    4) Ideally a somewhat interesting town that kids will enjoy hanging around.

I originally was thinking Jackson, but kids' terrain seems lacking.
    Then I was thinking Big Sky, which I love, but I don't recall how good the setup is for kids or whether there is anything going on there in town.
    The last time I was at either of the above was pre-kids with a house full of rippers.

So here's my off-the-run idea: What about flying into Calgary and hitting Lake Louise and Sunshine? Any Canuckistani family-having mags have an idea of how that may measure up?
    mogul5480,

I know it is not on your list, but I have traveled a ton to diff ski destinations and by far to me Steamboat is tops for a family ski vacation... Great town, fun and varied terrain for all levels and not a stuffy feel... We fly into Steam boat and the shuttle service is second to none...

The only question I could not answer is the ski conditions in April...

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

^^^ I was going to say Steamboat. It hits all the marks except steeps. But trees are damn fun. Also not sure about April.

Steamboat is lower elevation so April is questionable, not sure how early they close. And for an expert skier, it doesn't have terrain worth flying to. But otherwise it hits the mark, and has hot springs.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

^^^^^not on MC Pass. Looks like Steamboat no longer is either.

I imagine you already have plans to use the Mammoth days. Otherwise that would fit the bill. And you could drive.

Aspen looks like it is only Snowmass. Which has a little bit of everything.

If it were me (and had money to spend) I’d choose Banff/Sunshine. Don’t know about the town feel, but the park is beautiful.

My little dude has turned into such a ripper. Skis anywhere I do now. We spend all day looking for stuff to jump off. It’s awesome! 7 years old.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0054.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	162.3 KB 
ID:	257567
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Take the kids to big sky.

April will be warm and fun. Reasonable chance of new snow.

You can go into Yellowstone and do stuff, down the road to Bozeman hot springs etc.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

X2 for big sky in April. Went late year with the kids and got 36" fresh throughout the week (not typical, though, per my understanding). Awesome mountain. Town is Meh, but nice brewery (Beehive Basin).
    Maybe Crested Butte. Awesome town. Awesome dad train and enough kid/intermediate wife terrain. They close for the elk migration after the first week of April though, so gotta be early April trip. Also, they had a kids-ski-free closing week when we were there 2 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G950U using TGR Forums mobile app

This is great advice - thanks, team!

1) Steamboat not on pass. I concur awesome kid spot. We know someone who goes there all the time and will get there at some point.
    2) The idea of Bridger having good kids' terrain makes Big Sky more attractive, b/c can get a bonus day at Bridger on the way in or out.
    3) Sunshine just looks freakin' awesome, but more research needed to see if I want to schlep up to the Great White North with two kids under 7.
    No gnar was harmed in the writing of this post...

Went up to a hut last night to celebrate Mackenzie’s 2nd B-day.

Name:	IMG_7518.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	242.4 KB 
ID:	257625

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Went up to a hut last night to celebrate Mackenzie’s 2nd B-day.

Name:	IMG_7518.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	242.4 KB 
ID:	257625
    strong parenting, she on your back?
    Strong skinning

didnt get pics but 4 yr old hit his first legit jump Sunday ( some snowboard kids had built a lil kicker next to the trail we watched from the lift)
    first time not enough speed, slid back and fell
    Second time, hella speed & he totally Jamie Pierred the landing with a back slap and skied out and away. I hollared, Ski patroller skied up and was less than impressed

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    strong parenting, she on your back?
    Strong skinning
    Thanks. Yep backpack. Shoulders were crushed on the way up.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Thanks. Yep backpack. Shoulders were crushed on the way up.
    its good training, after skiing Sunday with my little dood my legs were fine but shoulders and chest were sore from pulling him around the flats

missed the thanksgiving wkd storm for the las vegas invitational, but watching the 12-yr-old play is a blast. down 2-0 early in the final, the boys stormed back and tied it at 2, and again at 3 with 10 left, and won in pks. the 12-yr-old had 2 goals in the final and 5 goals in the tournament. pretty resilient group.

Name:	7 Elite-Vegas Invitational.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	257746

Loving the Gotama Jrs

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Loving the Gotama Jrs

Yeah!

this popped up in my wife's Facebook feed this morning...

Name:  OB 18 months.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  71.1 KB

18 months old at Beaver Creek

My kid's first day of ski school (3 yr. o.) on Saturday. Got to go ski trees for 5 hours, and when I picked her up and asked her how it went her first response was "fantastic!" Teacher said she was the group's morale booster. Pretty stoked.

My boy turned 4 a month ago. Started him skiing at two. First couple years he was just to small to exert any influence over skis. Wherever they pointed he followed. Yesterday was the first day out this year. After one run with leashes he was ready to go. He skied for 3 hours straight, ate some lunch and then skied another hour. I'm not sure which of us had more fun. Watching him how to learn how to use his edges is awesome.

Enjoy it. Once they are off the leash, it literally gets more fun every single day.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Loving the Gotama Jrs

Nice. Looks like he’s getting after it.

Sunday was too cold for action shots, but it was fun to cruise with the minion.

Name:	IMG_3228.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	264.0 KB 
ID:	258341

Awesome work for a 4 year old!

I'm going through the same thing right now with my just turned 3 year-old. Second season just started and he's not quite ready to exert much pressure on his edges. We work on "hands on knees" to keep him forward and balanced and playing with the fall line. Pretty much just heads the direction his skis are pointing, so we do a lot of zig-zagging across the hill.

First day out for these 2. Can't wait until 3yr old learns how to stop, she likes to go fast. FYI I had nothing to do with helmets.

Name:	20181201_101844.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	258478
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Name:	IMG_4851.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	258597Click image for larger version. 

Name:	56538779191__2D13BA14-C1F3-476B-AAB1-5F99DEAA2DAE.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	604.7 KB 
ID:	258598

6 yr olds reaction to first day out this season
    "Not all who wander are lost"

Have you thought of whistler for your kids vacation? Ski school is in the middle of the mountain and seems like a fun place kids on and off snow.

Banff and sunshine would be another solid option. Again ski school in the middle of mountain. Town of banff will have just as much Xmas lights as whistler.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums