Views:	64 
Size:	249.5 KB 
ID:	272415

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0498.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	272416

Sick weekend at Powderhorn. The 7 year old is your U8 Buddy Werner State Champ! Two races and two wins! Super proud dad!
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

This guy can’t do all the “things” yet, but he sure smiles a lot!
    Name:  IMG_2506.JPG
Views: 406
Size:  228.5 KB

He makes me laugh!

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    9 year old took 5th in slalom for U10’s at south series this weekend. Working hard and improving, most importantly she’s having a ball!

Super proud of the 8 year old. Missed a gate and first thing she said was “I missed a gate, need to tell the coaches so my time isn’t counted. “

Would have won by like 8 seconds or something and she knew it. Could not be more proud

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    That is a great kid right there. My son broke a window at school in grade 2, immediately walked to the Principals office and self reported.

I see so many parents protecting kids from consequences and it does them no favours in the long run. Unless they are exceptionally privileged, when the magic carpet they are on wont matter...I am a cynic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by savemeasammy View Post
    Fucking right.

I sometimes let my kid skip school to ski on non-powder days, just because I want to take him skiing. I don’t even give a thought to homework...
    I am 57. So this was a long time ago. Grew up for several years in the Laurentians in Quebec. As long as my marks were strong, my Mom would take me out of school for a day and we would ski together once a season. Marks slipped, no ski day. Usually happened a couple times a season.

Special memories, tied to a lesson.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    This guy can’t do all the “things” yet, but he sure smiles a lot!
    Name:  IMG_2506.JPG
Views: 406
Size:  228.5 KB

He makes me laugh!

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Must have one heck of a handshake too.

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    3yo took a day off skiing today. First day riding on dirt instead of grass. Rode until his arms were going to fall off. Crashed, catched catches his breath, and got back on. Pretty comical trying to keep him from veering off into trees and shit. He was stoked

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    what kind of bikes are they super cool and thanks for sharing......
    always forward but never straight

Couple from CB a few weeks back
    Name:  Evan_CB.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  91.4 KB

Name:	Peel_CB.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	272628

Question for you parents with three year olds (current and past). I have been hitting Buttermilk with mine one day every weekend the last month or two and he is doing really well. He has great balance (always has) but refuses to learn the pizza. I have resorted too leashes after a couple times holding onto my poles and hockey stick as I tired of being bent over.

I work to keep the leashes loose as much of the time as possible and not ski directly behind him. We have been off the bunny hill for several weeks.

The last two weeks he has started to learn to turn and last week he was turning completely sideways to slow down (hockey stop). However, he is strong willed and doesn't want to go back and forth because he wants to ski fast.

Do I just keep going with the leashes to keep him from running into trees or getting hurt? I am glad that he is fearless and wants to jump off stuff and ski through the powder and trees (which I have said no until he can turn...haha), but I don't want to create bad habits with the leashes.

Thoughts? Just let this season play out and allow him to have fun and then worry about next season? He absolutely loves skiing and even told me he only loves me when I take him skiing.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

I have the exact same situation with my strong-willed 3 year-old. Hates the pizza and only uses hockey stops to slow down (if he can stop hard enough to get backwards he's even more thrilled).

Honestly, I think its cause he's not quite strong enough to do the pizza properly yet. He can make a wedge but has a hard time effectively controlling his turns and speed in it. We had a bit of a breakthrough the last time we went out because there was about 3" of fresh snow and it slowed everything down for him and made it easier to get on his edges in the fresh snow.

We use the hoola-hoop alot. Even head into the terrain park off boxes and mini-table tops with it. I like it cause i can either hold it super-tight when we get moving really fast, or barely hold it at all and let him be in total control when its more mellow. It really makes it much more fun for him and opened the ski hill for us (Stuck at Wilmot in Wisconsin, so not many options for beginner runs after the magic carpet which is usually swamped with people in lessons).

I'm resigned to keeping the hoola-hoop for the rest of the season and waiting till he is a bit bigger next year to start really working independent skiing. My carrot will definitely be, no more going into the baby terrain park until you can turn/stop on your own.

My kids aren't speed demons, but they're both strong willed. I've brokered deals where they only have to do the first 2 runs with 'Coach Dad' and try to do it my way. If they do that, I leave them to their own methods for the rest of the day. When they're doing it their way the rest of the day, I compliment them when they are doing something that I coached. I don't criticize their method, no matter how backseat they are. It has been working, though slowly. For a 3 year old it's more important to teach that skiing is fun, and not a bunch of rules and PSIA instructors.

As for teaching them to turn, let the terrain be your guide. A lot of mountains around here will have short 'off trail' beginner paths in the trees next to the beginner runs. Think a small gully off the side of the beginner slope, but it has seen a ski school class go through it every day. Narrow, twisty and flat. They can't straightline if the terrain doesn't allow it. Kids love that kind of thing. And give the kids a bit of credit, they know trees are solid and crashing into them will hurt.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Hula hoop for the win

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Hula hoop for the win

This.

Direct to parallel. Forget the pizza. Ski the hoop.

No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker/boarder View Post
    what kind of bikes are they super cool and thanks for sharing......
    Oset 12.5r

Electric trials bike. Has response and speed dial limiters. Burly build. I can ride it. I think it is more powerful than a 50cc per another dad at a recent race.

Modified with a lipo battery from boost bikes UK to shed weight. Adds a lot of run time, but irrelevant for a 3yo. We started our son at a little less than 2.5y. No training wheels thx to strider bike.

No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Re: 3 yr olds.

Lots of good points so far. Mine is 7 now, and can handle lower end double blacks at KW, so pretty solid results. Here are my notes.

Making it fun is the most important part at 3 yrs of age. Too much instruction, or expectation can ruin it.

Safety is just as important. I disagree with DJSapp. My kid still does not really understand that trees can hurt. Earlier this season he launched a jump and tried to hit the “head of a snow man”, which was really a buried tree. He was fine, but it took the rest of the day for him to agree that trees are not to be hit under any circumstances.

At 3, it is really hard on the legs to make an effective wedge. Better they don’t use one, instead of becoming a power wedge skier. I would not push the wedge at all. They don’t need it, until it is to stuff speed before hitting a cliff.

At one point, at 3, I thought he did not have the skill or strength to actually make turns. I learned how wrong I was when he noticed a spur trail we sometime took, at the last second, and made a beautiful hard carve to the right across the fall line, to get where he wanted to go. I complimented that turn (was actually blown away), and the told him I expected those the entire run. I got a few more, but not always.

Leashes should be slack. But, when my kid started skiing too fast for my liking, I would tighten them and then slowly bring him to a stop. I would ski in front of him, get to his eye level, and tell him I needed him to make turns. Sometimes we would stop several times on the way down.

If your beginner area has a short, steeper pitch, take them down that. Sometimes that helps them turn.

What DJSapp said about off piste. I think he is at KW, and we have a bunch of great gullies and trees in the beginner area. Nearly flat pitch, but you have to turn. The banks of gullies also encourage and help with turning.

Treats for Turns. I’d offer my kid the crappy junk food he never gets after making some good turns.

We used to carry 6 small cones with us. Midweek, uncrowded days, we would find a quite slope and set them out. Then we would work on turning through the cones.

Terrain Park. Sometimes you need to turn to hit different features. That encouraged him.

He turned 4 in May. The next winter he used leashes his first day, and was off them the rest of the season. He stated skiing steeper terrain, and had to make turns to control speed. But there was a big difference in strength, skills and desire between age 3 1/2 and 4 1/2.

Once off the leash, hulu, hockey, pole assist, they may still not want to turn. We would make a train, with someone making nice turns as the engine and the rest would follow the train tracks. Or hit bigger gullies, bumps, trees, where he needs to turn.

Now, at 7, he still just wants to fly down blue groomers without turning much. My rule is if I can occasionally see his bases, while I ski next to him, then all is good. Just want to be sure he is getting on edge and angulating.

I drilled “hands up/forward” into him almost daily. Told him it was the most important part of form. I still think he is lazy, but he has good hand placement most of the time while skiing. Slightly forward and tight, just under his chest.

The reward. I took him down One Man Chute a few weeks back on a powder day. It is one of the more sustained steep lines here. No gnar, but double diamond with consistent pitch. At the bottom, he skied up to me, gave me a hug, thanked me and said it one of his best days ever. The. He cruised out into the apron and crushed the waist deep fresh.

Now he just needs some more lessons from the pros to work on technique. I still give him pointers, but these days we mostly just ski together.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    Nice! Pretty sure that's the first booter in 3 Kings, right?
    yes. 9yr old said solitude would be perfect with that first jump, a long skinny rail and of course the down-flat-down rail...

Name:	down-slide-down.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	142.4 KB 
ID:	272800

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    I spent most of the day skiing Little Kings park at PCMR with the 3 year old. We were able to duck onto whatever terrain we needed to get around the hill. She totally pinned it down through the steep parts on the way back to Bonanza, even if she didn't have the momentum needed to make it over the lip on the first set of kickers.
    ^^ and excellent work man > you are doing it right

When my boy was 3 he was a straightliner. First day this season (now aged 4) he was turning and stopping (via pizza and hockey stop). He just needed to get bigger. Make it fun. Everything else is secondary.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will grab a hula. I am stoked that he loves skiing so much and am for sure focusing on fun. Last weekend he took a couple face plants for the first time ever (Sunday was deep here in Aspen) and only started to cry once and then was good to go and still wanted to just go fast and hit the powder on the edge of the runs.

He is on the smaller side for his age as he was 4.5 lbs at birth and is still catching up, so my guess is it is strength as mentioned. He is noticeably more coordinated then most kids his age while playing, so I am hopefully he will get the hang of turning at the beginning of next season and I can trust him to control his own speed.

As of now, my fear is he will simply straight line it and get going too fast, tumble and be fearful the rest of the year.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Make a hula. 10 ft length of 3/4 pex with a coupler, wrap in fun duct tape. Stiff enough to control the kiddo, big enough to not have to bend over.

I did the leash until 4. I remember the last season when he was three I thought I'd try it with no leash and ski backwards so I could stop him. The little fucker skied around me and took off and it needed to do a flying tackle to stop him from eating shit. Under the lift no less.

By 4 he was a better at turning and stopping on his own. His awareness and decision making was still no bueno though.

I've also used a hockey stick which worked well. You can ski beside/behind them and use it as a hook. It's also less awkward on the lift.

^^^^^ and you can use it to block, snack and ward off gapers bee lining for your kid. Papa Bear style.

I watched "La Liste" with my 4 year old last night. Then he made this:

Name:	IMG_20190306_204927.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	640.7 KB 
ID:	272900

He said, "It's the mountain near our house."
    "The Indian Peaks?" I asked.
    "Yeah."

A little off topic here, but the search function didn’t help me. What’s a decent tip for a ski instructor? The little man is just finishing up an 8 week ski program, and his instructor was great. He really liked her and I saw a big improvement in his skiing. Plus skiing with a bunch of 7 year olds for 2 months should be rewarded right? I’m thinking somewhere in the $150 range?

I do $100 tip for 4-week programs. Not sure if that’s big or small but instructors seem to appreciate it.

We didn't tip near that amount for 3 week programs, and they still seemed super stoked. So yeah, if you can swing that amount I'm sure they'd be happy
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

got a U8 state champ today, she was bummed she didn’t beat all the girls. SL tomorrow!

Name:	IMG_0404.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	535.6 KB 
ID:	273300

Not sure why Brianhead puts em in order L to right but she’s in her team snowbird beanie.