Page 87 of 109 FirstFirst ... 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,175 of 2720
    . . . and the aforementioned 10-year old. I follow the time-honored tradition of giving the second-born child the short end of the stick attention/photo-wise.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1236.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	317460

Name:	IMG_1018.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	437.1 KB 
ID:	317461

Name:	IMG_0946.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	705.6 KB 
ID:	317462

Forgive me Danno but how old?

I have no answer either but if she is loving it you are ahead of the game. DFL isn't what bothers you it is the lack of improvement. Somewhere there is a feedback loop when a kids makes a sweet turn and it gives them a reward and they go back for more...raceteam or no. My daughter always had that. Stepson not so much and he can take skiing or leave it. You can tell when they ski.

On the other hand we asked my stepsons soccer coaches when he was young if we should bother re enrolling he was so bad. We did. Now he is the star of his club team and likely playing college soccer.

Friend of mine on the race team this year has twins and one of them hasn't really developed any friendships so he just skis non stop by himself. Dad not a good teacher so poor fundamentals that have been carried into raceteam. One day this year things just fucking clicked for him and now he is close to the top ten nearly every race and he looks good and is super stoked railing turns hard. His twin sister looks worse now than at the end of last year to my eyes.

My daughter seems to either give it or just play it safe depending on which side of the bed she gets up on. It is frustrating because I want her to point em and run the direct line every single race, I encourage her to DNF a time or two, but no. Also she has a friend who is a pain in my ass, wants to go inside, asks my daughter to throw races so she can win, skis laps that are super slow because she fucks around so much and makes my daughter wait 20 minutes while she thinks about hitting a jump all while I invest so much time and capital getting my girl to the hill and polishing her edges. The nerve of that girl. But godamn if this PIA hasn't provided us with talking points and teachable moments. We aren't developing a Mikaela but we do want a well rounded girl who can deal with difficult people.

My wife has an X boyfriend who is a coach on another team in our league and they have only made one race this year. Similar issue as you except she seems not even to want to race. Coach dad doesn't get it, mom is fine with it, almost encouraging her disinterest.

So the struggle is real for all of us...lol. It isn't just about the skiing. No magic bullets. I think Danno being Danno you are on the right track. If she wants to do it again you should. Things definitely might just click at some point.
    Last edited by uglymoney; 02-25-2020 at 05:41 PM.

She's 9, first year U10.

Thanks for the anecdotes, they're helpful.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    She's 9, first year U10.

Thanks for the anecdotes, they're helpful.
    The boy who is a twin who suddenly clicked and went boom this year is 10 skiing U12.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I’ve got a 9 year old first year U10. She’s crazy fast but loves skiing with all the kids so it’s not about the competition. My first year U12 is more cautious but a great free skier. Both like it, the U12 just had it click and is getting faster finally. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2860.JPG 
Views:	345 
Size:	542.7 KB 
ID:	317492 U12

Name:	IMG_0679.JPG 
Views:	361 
Size:	506.4 KB 
ID:	317495 U10

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

My 8 year old loves skiing but so far has zero desire to race. Kind of surprising because he’s super competitive in everything else he does. Works for me though because I’d rather spend the day skiing with him instead of watching him race.

A little bit of kid stoke:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. Great discussions above. And timely too since our 7 yo minimagette had her first race today. She ran U8 slalom and podiumed with 3rd. Of course there were only like 5 in her age bracket. She was the top one not in the fancy all race program that ran the race (TAS) as she's in a half freeride half race program across the valley at Aply (ARC). We weren't sure how'd she like racing but she was definitely into it and was grinning ear to ear when she got the trophy.
    It's strange because she has a pretty low key personality and isn't really competitive but has also always been super precise and determined about things. Having never had experience with ski racing not sure how this will pan out. If she decides to continue we'll be supportive but if she just wants to rip around with mom and dad next season that will be fine with us. The only thing really disturbing is she has asked us to try snowboarding a couple of times.

racing and baseball are things I throw subtle hints to deter. Not interested in that scene, but racing can no doubt help teach junior to bend the ski. I raced on the local high school team starting sophomore year after my dad paid me and essentially got me to switch from snowboarding to skiing. Smart move pops.

high school leagues were not as competitive as the dedicated mountain race teams, but some of their best competed in the high school league anyway in those days. the bus rides to Wednesday night practices and solid control of the music system, and heavy consumption of chronic on the hill made me a fan. Like night skiing on a spaceship.

the 9 y.o. getting some pow.

Name:  IMG_0308.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  310.1 KB

Name:	IMG_0302.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	558.6 KB 
ID:	318358

Name:	IMG_0303.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	480.6 KB 
ID:	318359

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Thanks all for the input.
    ok so fuck what the coaches are doing and saying

what are YOU doing? are you skiing with your kid or taking her to ski training?
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

If I’ve posted this here before ignore it.

The only down side (besides money) to my kids ski racing is not getting to ski with them as much as I’d like. So, Anytime they free ski I ask the coaches if I can tag along. Pass our snacks on the lift, get to rip w a bunch of really good 9-10 year olds. Really good. So far coaches have been totally cool.

We skin behind the house as well.

I think it’s important to keep skiing with the kids...and have a touch on the interpersonal dynamics.

My .02

I rip the groomed on tele gear

We live too far from the hill to be on any teams. Race or freeride. The plus side is I get to ski with my kid most days. We have 23 together this season. Passing snacks, chatting on the lifts, picking out lines. He wants to rage and ski challenging steps and chutes, which is awesome.

I do sometimes worry about his form. He will not allow me to coach him at all. Expect occasionally reminding him to keep his hands up and forward and shoulders pointed downhill. Other than that we just rip around together. So much fun.

He has no interest in baseball thank god. We ski until the snow is gone. Last year that was mid June for us.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    ok so fuck what the coaches are doing and saying

what are YOU doing? are you skiing with your kid or taking her to ski training?
    Ski with her whenever she wants? In the last 4 weeks, I skied with her in Steamboat 2 days, and xc skiing a couple of times, and after ski training a couple of times (including yesterday, we had a blast for 3 runs). It's pretty much up to her, because after she's been skiing from 1st thing in the morning to 2:15-2:30, I have to respect her choice if she says she's done with skiing for the day. Yesterday she wasn't (mostly because her friend's mom insisted that her friend go skiing for a few runs, so my kiddo wanted to join), and we had a great time, and she was much better about skiing with some pace and edges.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    If I’ve posted this here before ignore it.

The only down side (besides money) to my kids ski racing is not getting to ski with them as much as I’d like. So, Anytime they free ski I ask the coaches if I can tag along. Pass our snacks on the lift, get to rip w a bunch of really good 9-10 year olds. Really good. So far coaches have been totally cool.

We skin behind the house as well.

I think it’s important to keep skiing with the kids...and have a touch on the interpersonal dynamics.

My .02
    That's truth, it is hard to get the ski time in with her when she's already skiing all day in training.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

if your goal is to have your kid be able to ski with you, take your kid skiing

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    if your goal is to have your kid be able to ski with you, take your kid skiing
    I think that he is saying he does within the limitations of their reality of not living at the base of a hill and having a job and race team etc, which he seems open to modifying, which is why he came here with the question. I mean I ski 100% of the time my daughter does but if I tried to make her ski with me all the time she'd hate me.

Also that is your old gear my daughter is ripping around on. Finally pulled out the slalom poles with the guards you sent as well for her last slalom race.

Maybe the secret is buying good used gear

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ongoing Kid Stoke [2011 and on...]

“Just ski down there and jump off something, for crying out loud.” Kid 1 following Shane’s advice

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1583205056.016386.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	289.5 KB 
ID:	318549

Ongoing Kid Stoke [2011 and on...]

Owen was lucky that I could bring him to work with me at the ski area when he was in preschool and he was able to get one on one lessons with a great instructor a couple days a week and hang with patrol a bunch.

good used gear helps a lot

have fun parents

SKI THE BABIES !!

Quote Originally Posted by PlayItLeo View Post
    “Just ski down there and jump off something, for crying out loud.” Kid 1 following Shane’s advice

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1583205056.016386.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	289.5 KB 
ID:	318549

This, is awesome.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Junior and DangerBoy at Greek on Sunday
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BEB1BF6B-EAC8-4A0C-98E9-788A442ED395.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	909.3 KB 
ID:	318680  

the 10 yr old has been all over me about when can he try the backflip. today was the day.

That's a ten year old? Holy shit.

Quote Originally Posted by getoutside View Post
    the 10 yr old has been all over me about when can he try the backflip. today was the day.
    FKNA!

noice backy!!

I am officially being out aggressed on the bicycle by the young lad in that he hits the jumps with more speed and style than me. I can drop some stuff he can't and do a couple gaps he hasn't touched but the writing is on the wall. I still can crush the little bitch on skis though. Probably too late to step up my game on the bike.

edit: i guess vimeo no longer works here like it used to

Last edited by klauss; 03-17-2020 at 09:05 AM.

Name:	IMG_0256.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	254.5 KB 
ID:	320999
    Got to ski Japan with my daughter this year after a decent storm - fun pow/tree skiing!...

Lil blue man (8yo) has been killin it. Had a cheering section while raging down a bowl last week. Some chick said, "that's my dream kid". Flattering, but sorta creepy. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200313_134126.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	321240
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs