Page 68 of 110 FirstFirst ... 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 2741
    Have any of you filed down the edges of your kids skis, snowboards, or snowskates? I’m in a process of filing down the edges of my sons snowskate. My hands and arms are tired from using a file and I only managed to do little damage to the nose... I heard kids using angle grinder to file down the edges for rails. Either way I’ll finish up the nose and tail section.

Just wondering if it’s worth filling down the effective edges. I’m thinking it’s worth it because he is not gonna curve and it’s safer when the snowskate flips upside down.

Do you worry about your kids double eject and land on skis with sharp edges?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Why the fuck would you do that? Skis need edges. I’ve never worried about edges cutting my child.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by tmokes View Post
    No. Never.
    I would be more worried about them running into a tree, another skier, or a lift pole because they have no edges on their skis and cant turn or stop.

Buy a detuning stone, and give that snowskate a few swipes and you should be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by tmokes View Post
    Have any of you filed down the edges of your kids skis, snowboards, or snowskates? I’m in a process of filing down the edges of my sons snowskate. My hands and arms are tired from using a file and I only managed to do little damage to the nose... I heard kids using angle grinder to file down the edges for rails. Either way I’ll finish up the nose and tail section.

Just wondering if it’s worth filling down the effective edges. I’m thinking it’s worth it because he is not gonna curve and it’s safer when the snowskate flips upside down.

Don't do that

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    Why the fuck would you do that? Skis need edges. I’ve never worried about edges cutting my child.
    I sent a kid down in a patrol sled once because she fell on her ski and cut herself pretty deeply on it. This is another reason to make your kid keep their shell jacket zipped. She wouldn't have sliced herself if her jacket hadn't gotten rucked up. So it's not impossible, but corn rash in that scenario was the greater hazard.

In no way does this make me want to detune my own kid's skis.

Well, I might keep the effective edges untouched, but nose and tail will be rounded.

But why?

Why not? It doesn’t touch the snow but lots of potential to hit people including my son.

2 1/2 yo getting after it. Got the hula hoop out there next day but didn't get pics... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181123_133616.jpeg 
Views:	54 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	258840

Sent from my SM-G935V using TGR Forums mobile app
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Just tuned my 2yo and 5yo kid’s skis. Nice sharp edges.

His smile makes me smile.

What a great thread.

My 2 year-and-3-month old is skiing unsupported for the first time. Not very steep terrain. He can't turn very well, but he can definitely veer around stationary people. He can also turn around, once stopped. My wife is worried that he's too young, that his muscles or bones aren't strong enough, and we might screw up his development. Any thoughts on this?

I'm not a doctor, but I started at exactly 2 years old, and I turned out fine.

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    What a great thread.

My 2 year-and-3-month old is skiing unsupported for the first time. Not very steep terrain. He can't turn very well, but he can definitely veer around stationary people. He can also turn around, once stopped. My wife is worried that he's too young, that his muscles or bones aren't strong enough, and we might screw up his development. Any thoughts on this?
    Started our Granddaughter at 2 1/2, by the end of the first day she could glide down the bunny hill, hands on knees and could also avoid stationary objects. Starting young sure has not hurt her development. She's 9, skis every inch of terrain at Alta, loves to hike and take the High T out to thirds, Eagles Nest and bus laps from the Ho. Not sure who has more fun, her skiing or her Grandparents watching. As a former instructor some kids are ready at two others at six.

Here's what the American Academy of Pediatrics instructs:
    https://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the-...ctivities.aspx

All common sense suggestions to anyone who skis regularly, although I'm sure most of us on here are not certified ski instructors (ha!).
    Note, that they dont list any age restrictions for skiing.

Our daughter started at 2.5. She only went a few times that year, but on one of them the beginner lift broke and she and I hung there on an old 2 chair in 5 degree air with 30 mph winds for literally 25 minutes. She had to pee really badly - was quite traumatic. So much so that when the lift finally started up again I swooped her up and straightlined it to the lodge. She took a leak, we ate some lunch, and then to my massive surprise she asked to go back up.

That's when I knew my life as a dad was gonna be pretty awesome.

Fast forward 12 years, and her favorite present of the last few years was her new Prodigy Ws this summer. She skis switch damn near faster than I ski straight.

So I'm saying I agree. 2 years plus a bit is fine to get them on snow. Don't push, just whatever they want to do and be ready to bail when they are done. Make it a great experience, and it'll just become something that they do and don't question, and eventually fall in love with.

Just be real mellow about it this year.

What a great thread.

He will be fine. Just know that you're on the magic carpet for another year or two. Keep it mellow and make sure the little guy is having fun.

Hot chocolate. Every time you play on snow.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

If the kid is fine with it then it's fine. Everything I've seen re starting kids off is that the real focus is
    proprioception (knowing where your body is in space). A common test you'll see is whether the kid can mirror you when you make a thumbs up. As I understand it, the thinking is that if the kid doesn't know what they're doing with their feet and can't employ edges or turn their skis, then they're not really "skiing," even if you have them up on skis. They're just walking around with skis on. Though given the level of control you're talking about, sounds like your two-and-change kid has enough control to actually be skiing.

Our 3 yr old had her first day of full-day (830-230) ski school last weekend. Highly recommended, if only for the fact that the good ski schools make sure the fun/hot chocolate to skiing ratio is high, and it lets you go bomb around the hill for a few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    If the kid is fine with it then it's fine. Everything I've seen re starting kids off is that the real focus is
    proprioception (knowing where your body is in space). A common test you'll see is whether the kid can mirror you when you make a thumbs up. As I understand it, the thinking is that if the kid doesn't know what they're doing with their feet and can't employ edges or turn their skis, then they're not really "skiing," even if you have them up on skis. They're just walking around with skis on. Though given the level of control you're talking about, sounds like your two-and-change kid has enough control to actually be skiing.

Our 3 yr old had her first day of full-day (830-230) ski school last weekend. Highly recommended, if only for the fact that the good ski schools make sure the fun/hot chocolate to skiing ratio is high, and it lets you go bomb around the hill for a few hours.
    That's a long day for a kid that small. It's great that they are taking lots of breaks and keeping things as fun as possible

Yeah, they have the indoor space for the 3-4 yr olds right next to the outdoor space, and especially on cold days, they'll be inside >50% of the time. When I asked kiddo how her first day was, her response was "fantastic!"

If your kid has been in daycare, a ski school day isn't that long. And as much as it's fun to rag on ski schoolers, they're professionals who know how to keep it fun and not tire the kids out too too much. My kid started at 3-4, and she has always been ecstatic when we picked her up.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Agree with all said. My kid started out around age 2, and at 7 skis all around Kirkwood. There is certainly some terrain he won’t touch, but handles steeps just fine. In fact, he often looks more comfortable than most as he descends.

He started ski school at around the same age and he always loved it. They play a lot in with the younger groups.

Hot cocoa, hot cider, trail side breaks (make your skis into a bench), build forts (he used to make me travel w a shovel), throw snow balls, go in when they get cold, jelly bellies, make it fun.

I think my son will surpass my wife in the next two seasons. Then I’ll be up on the chopping block.

All the schlepping of gear, single run days, missing the powder, waiting on the steeps, etc has totally been worth it. Skiing with him now is just plain good times.

What a great thread.

Orthopedic surgeon friends of mine say no problem. Fwiw

Magic carpet goes away pretty soon with the hula hoop. Thx to detrusor for the hula hoop idea!

Keep it fun! Nothing else matters.

Sent from my SM-G935V using TGR Forums mobile app
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

I just made an oversized hula hoop with Pex from Home Depot, to replace my kids broken actual hula hoop, and it works awesome.