Page 9 of 110 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Tis...this Horse has a double fall line, lots of different ways to ski it.

It's great putting the kid vids on Youtube and then using Chrome to let the kids watch themselves over and over on the big TV.

Kid #1, 5 yrs old, is really starting to get it! Linking turns, controlling his own speed, able to get himself back up after falls, having fun etc... The last few times we've gone we've been able to get off the bunny hill and go ski some gnar on some long wrap around style trails. Pretty fkna awesome to stop above the "steep" sections where he used to need help only to have him cruise past me saying, "I'm going to do it myself, dad." Feel like a mad scientist watching his experiment come to life and wriggling my fingers Mr. Burns style thinking "everything is going according to plan"

Taking kids 1 and 2 together for the fist time today. Pray for me.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    First day with poles...has no idea what to do with them.

How old? We waited way too long with my stepson to outfit him with poles. Any good milestones to go by when deciding when to use poles?

Always appreciate your stoke 666.

first race ever by my 9yo son

his first run was about 45s [top time for that run was 38s]
    then he smoked the course in 33s for his second run (a cloud had blown through so no video for that one)
    ended up 5th overall out of 40 or so in U10 boys

he was stoked
    i was stoked that he was stoked

in yellow pants on blue course
    he starts late through the timing gate, but ends up pipping the other kid at the end

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    How old? We waited way too long with my stepson to outfit him with poles. Any good milestones to go by when deciding when to use poles?
    I waited longer than needed as well; but, from what I understand... it is important that the kid can make and link good turns. Poles before proper control and turning is not helpful. My daughter wanted poles because she saw others with them. I told her she needed to show me good turns and the ability to stop. Once I got her poles this season, I could see that she was definitely ready for them. They help her balance, push and ski better; but, she had already demonstrated the ability to hockey stop and link good turns. Perhaps a kids instructor can give better light on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    first race ever by my 9yo son

his first run was about 45s [top time for that run was 38s]
    then he smoked the course in 33s for his second run (a cloud had blown through so no video for that one)
    ended up 5th overall out of 40 or so in U10 boys

he was stoked
    i was stoked that he was stoked

in yellow pants on blue course
    he starts late through the timing gate, but ends up pipping the other kid at the end

Very cool! Congrats to the little huckster - and to mom and Dad

He's 5 1/2. I wanted him to be able to link turns and stop on his own but more importantly big enough to get on the chair by himself WITH poles. Also, his instructor on his Sunday program said he was ready. . He's been begging to use them all season. We worked on planting to turn around moguls...baby steps.

Northstar trying to be serious for the camera.

Last edited by skier666; 02-06-2014 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayItLeo View Post
    Kid #1, 5 yrs old, is really starting to get it! Linking turns, controlling his own speed, able to get himself back up after falls, having fun etc... The last few times we've gone we've been able to get off the bunny hill and go ski some gnar on some long wrap around style trails. Pretty fkna awesome to stop above the "steep" sections where he used to need help only to have him cruise past me saying, "I'm going to do it myself, dad." Feel like a mad scientist watching his experiment come to life and wriggling my fingers Mr. Burns style thinking "everything is going according to plan"

Taking kids 1 and 2 together for the fist time today. Pray for me.
    That is a good patience building excercise! I've got 5 year old twins and a wife that skis about 5 times a year. 80 percent of the time I have them by myself. Now that they are 5 it is getting much easier. I still use a big hockey bag to carry all of their gear minus the skis. It keeps things simple - everything goes in the big bag. Enjoy! You will be amazed.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums

Yeah, my 5 year old is totally self sufficient on the magic carpet, so he just did his own thing while I skied with kid 2. Was an awesome day (aside from the fact that I brought the wrong skis for kid 2 and they didn't fit his bsl. Had to hit the rental area at 9 o'clock on a weekend with the rest of the beaters. Talk about an exercise in patience...)

Actually took kid one out on Tuesday (he had winter break from school) and it was one of my top 5 all time ski days. First chair, skied all over the hill, went to the top, skied blues and even a black (so gnar!), and generally slayed the mtn. I couldn't even keep him on the groomed, all he wanted to do was ski the 3" of pow on the sides of the trail and would dive in there any chance he got. Had a huge smile on my face all day.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayItLeo View Post
    Actually took kid one out on Tuesday (he had winter break from school) and it was one of my top 5 all time ski days. First chair, skied all over the hill, went to the top, skied blues and even a black (so gnar!), and generally slayed the mtn. I couldn't even keep him on the groomed, all he wanted to do was ski the 3" of pow on the sides of the trail and would dive in there any chance he got. Had a huge smile on my face all day.
    Love it! classic kid stoke!

My vine feed is littered with short vids of my kids from this season. I can embed on wordpress sites but not on TGR forums so you'll just have to scroll through it.

https://vine.co/slaythegnar

LMSD#2 having fun with team at Alpine:

Quote Originally Posted by StormDay View Post
    LMSD#2 having fun with team at Alpine:

:Yourock: Sending it!

No grab though, what's up with that

^Huck-O-rama ....

So I decided to try some arm/shoulder work with my 3 year old girl. Probably overcoaching here but I am amazed how they can pick up something so fast that many adults never manage to figure out!

Hands toward the river...the big muddy that is.

Will embed when i get home. The first 30 seconds are good and then skip to 2:50.

Last edited by uglymoney; 02-07-2014 at 01:23 PM.

That is great stuff. Im getting out with just one of the kids Saturday. The wife and daughter will be out of town so I told my son he can pick what we do on Sat. He said. Lets go powder skiing.

I dont even set an alarm on ski days - he wakes me up by 6:15 and says I thought we were going skiing" . Its awesome, except for the fact he is yet to grasp the whole time concept. So one Saturday he threw our bedroom door open at 3:30 am and announced he was dressed and ready to go.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by powder4breakfast View Post
    I waited longer than needed as well; but, from what I understand... it is important that the kid can make and link good turns. Poles before proper control and turning is not helpful. My daughter wanted poles because she saw others with them. I told her she needed to show me good turns and the ability to stop. Once I got her poles this season, I could see that she was definitely ready for them. They help her balance, push and ski better; but, she had already demonstrated the ability to hockey stop and link good turns. Perhaps a kids instructor can give better light on the subject.
    Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    He's 5 1/2. I wanted him to be able to link turns and stop on his own but more importantly big enough to get on the chair by himself WITH poles. Also, his instructor on his Sunday program said he was ready. . He's been begging to use them all season. We worked on planting to turn around moguls...baby steps.
    Cool. We have a long ways to go but was just curious. The hockey stop isn't in the works for now. If I recall we had a kids instructor ask us why we didn't have poles for my stepson when he was way past ready so I want to get them to my girl earlier in her progression.

Yeah, I don't think a hockey stop is necessary; but, I do think good turns are.

Another midwest weekend powder day!

Last edited by uglymoney; 02-08-2014 at 09:30 PM.

py pics, but first real soft snow day in a year for my 5 y/o.

Quote "I like the deep snow, you just go fast and then you hit a deep spot and BAM, you fall down... But it doesn't hurt and then we go some more."

16+ of fresh meant the 4yo finally got to ski the powsticks.

On navigating the woods:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QncZ...e_gdata_player
    Last edited by weasel1; 02-15-2014 at 06:00 AM.
    "I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."- Alan Greenspan

My kid turned to me on the lift yesterday an said, "Daddy, I'm the powder king." I guess that makes me the powder emperor?

He also linked seven or eight switch turns out of the blue. Asked him where he learned that and he told me he was stealing all of my tricks.

Skiing with your kids is almost as good as skiing pow! Almost.

So my girl is 2 years, 1 month old. We've taken her 5 times to a short bunny hill and she's done well on Lucky Bums. On flat ground she shuffles around; on the slope either my wife or I walk down holding her hands or under the armpits while she "slides". We're wondering what next step we should do. Should we get a vest with the handle in the back and ski with her, either alongside or in back (on the bunny slope)? The thing I noticed is our daughter doesn't really balance on the skis on her own while going down and kinda hangs there while we support her on her way down. How do we make that transition to her being more balanced on a slope, on her own? Does that come with age? Should we put her on real skis/boots yet?

The great thing is she loves it, asks for skiing during the week, has fun up there, even in a storm. Very proud

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    So my girl is 2 years, 1 month old. We've taken her 5 times to a short bunny hill and she's done well on Lucky Bums. On flat ground she shuffles around; on the slope either my wife or I walk down holding her hands or under the armpits while she "slides". We're wondering what next step we should do. Should we get a vest with the handle in the back and ski with her, either alongside or in back (on the bunny slope)? The thing I noticed is our daughter doesn't really balance on the skis on her own while going down and kinda hangs there while we support her on her way down. How do we make that transition to her being more balanced on a slope, on her own? Does that come with age? Should we put her on real skis/boots yet?

The great thing is she loves it, asks for skiing during the week, has fun up there, even in a storm. Very proud
    I put our 2.5 y/o old daughter in real skis/boots this winter. She's about 29 lbs. and seems to handle the equipment fine. Using real ski boots actually makes it much less awkward to slide around. We ride the magic carpet at our hill, usually just traversing back and forth across the trail. We are in the same boat as you right now. Occasionally she we will balance on her own, but mostly I am holding her up one way or another. Sometimes she latches onto my lag, or I just hold her up by her armpits. Haven't really felt the need to get a harness at this point.

I recently started skiing backwards in front of her holding her hands out in front, which seemed to help progress her towards sliding on her own. Sometimes I'll let go, but it only lasts a few seconds until she freaks out or falls down.

But I am curious as well, what's the next step?

It gets to a point you just have to wait till they develop more. There is only so much you can do when they are two depending on the kid I think. Get a harness not for the ropes but for the handle on the back for lifting him or her on to the lift, off the ground, carrying them when they are tired. Invalueable device. We used the straps a little last year when our girl was two but for the most part she was supporting herself and skiing. If she started skiing straight and hanging on the harness we would just stop. It was great on long catwalks like the one at Revy from the Gondola down. She skied 100 percent but the harness was a safety in case she was off track.