Page 86 of 109 FirstFirst ... 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 ... LastLast
Results 2,126 to 2,150 of 2721
    one of my 7 adopted kids that i ski with,training for a ski the east comp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	air.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	140.6 KB 
ID:	316773  

Have a pair of Moment Zephyr kids powder skis we can part with, 129-101-113, very good condition. One mount with Salomon C-7 / Z- 7 bindings (three screw toe piece) not included. Bought these about four years ago new. My wife skied them for two years only on powder days, she is 4'10", 94 lbs so they were perfect for her. Moment hooked me up with two new pair of Zephyr's that they had left in their back room last year. My wife uses one of the new pair and 10 yo granddaughter who is 5' 2" uses the other pair. Just don't need three pair of Zephyr's hanging around. I am in SLC, would love to find somebody here so I don't have to come up with a box, sending etc. $100...
    Last edited by bigdude2468; 02-21-2020 at 08:13 AM.

^^^^^What length? Likely interested if you end up needing to ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    ^^^^^What length? Likely interested if you end up needing to ship.
    146 CM, sorry about omitting this.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    146 CM, sorry about omitting this.
    Pm sent to pick up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	60401588856__C90125E9-B741-415F-BDDC-6C335465F2A1.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	316884

Hiked to top of baldy and got main chute w the kiddos today!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post

Name:	60401588856__C90125E9-B741-415F-BDDC-6C335465F2A1.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	316884

Hiked to top of baldy and got main chute w the kiddos today!

Nice! It’s on the list for us this year.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Have a pair of Moment Zephyr kids powder skis we can part with, 129-101-113, very good condition. One mount with Salomon C-7 / Z- 7 bindings (three screw toe piece) not included. Bought these about four years ago new. My wife skied them for two years only on powder days, she is 4'10", 94 lbs so they were perfect for her. Moment hooked me up with two new pair of Zephyr's that they had left in their back room last year. My wife uses one of the new pair and 10 yo granddaughter who is 5' 2" uses the other pair. Just don't need three pair of Zephyr's hanging around. I am in SLC, would love to find somebody here so I don't have to come up with a box, sending etc. $100...
    Sold...

Name:	FFEC8221-E050-4612-A094-6AB733D3F1C8.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	304.6 KB 
ID:	317180

7 years old. 40lbs to the top of highland bowl.

Another fun race midwest race weekend with my 9 yo girl. She pushed into the U12 top three on one of the runs where she decided to send. Every race this year has been a finish and a top ten. So proud mom and dad - who still ski all weekend at these things unless we are working as gatekeepers or watching the girl.

I wish I could figure out how to post a bigger gif. Shrug. Here is a link to a slightly better version. https://www.instagram.com/p/B87wfsSlWQ-/

Name:  ezgif-2-6e0c0e00c619.gif
Views: 841
Size:  1,023.9 KB

Name:	20200222-IMG_2106.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	317404

Name:	20200222-IMG_2111.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	317405

Name:	20200222-IMG_2121.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	317409

Name:	20200222-IMG_2126.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	317406

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    My kid's skiing has been all over the place this year. She's been really tentative racing, she does the half wedge turn on steeper terrain, it's been kind of a step back most days. Yesterday at steamboat was one of those days, until we met up with some friends and their kids, and then she decided she could rip again. Blasting through Closets with 7 kids ages 9-12 was a trip!

If anyone has any advice as to how I can keep her skiing like that, and not the tentative half wedge skier on a slightly steep blue run, I'm all ears.
    a bit of anti-stoke, I guess, but she hasn't been improving, which is really bumming me out. She loves the program/ski racing, but doesn't seem to get that the goal is to go faster (and then she gets bummed when she finishes DFL or close to that on race day).

It's such a hudge monetary and time commitment, and I'm really questioning whether we should do this next year. I WANT her to want it, and I don't want to be the asshole parent pushing their kid too hard. And I don't give a shit how she does in races, so long as she is trying hard and doing her best (and I tell her this often). But it doesn't feel like she's done either of those this year; she's no better of a skier than she was 3 months ago. And I see those pics of uglymoney's 9yo and it just hammers home how my kid just isn't getting it. And I don't know what to do.

[/anti-stoke]
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Well, my kid crashed out of the last race so I guess he took our advice to giv'r. He's a good skier but aside from one (and the only) GS he's near the back of the pack. He still loves it though.

I think you're being too harsh. Kids develop at different rates so I wouldn't put too much stock in the results from this year.

You never know, next year could be the year it clicks and she just takes off. If she's really enjoying it, and the people/friends in the program I say stick with it.

If she's getting tired of it, it's not worth pursuing since all you'll do it make her resent the sport. I'm lucky in that my 10 year old is basically dragging me out the door every day.

And yeah, it sure as hell isn't cheap.

a bit of anti-stoke, I guess, but she hasn't been improving, which is really bumming me out. She loves the program/ski racing, but doesn't seem to get that the goal is to go faster (and then she gets bummed when she finishes DFL or close to that on race day).

It's such a hudge monetary and time commitment, and I'm really questioning whether we should do this next year. I WANT her to want it, and I don't want to be the asshole parent pushing their kid too hard. And I don't give a shit how she does in races, so long as she is trying hard and doing her best (and I tell her this often). But it doesn't feel like she's done either of those this year; she's no better of a skier than she was 3 months ago. And I see those pics of uglymoney's 9yo and it just hammers home how my kid just isn't getting it. And I don't know what to do.

[/anti-stoke]
    I would say if she still enjoys it let her keep at it. If it hasn't already there will come a day when she makes the connection between improving and keeping up with her friends and the effort needed to do that. My 8yo went through this with gymnastics and after 2.5 years finally decided she didn't like being the oldest girl in her class but didn't love it enough to start doing more than one practice a week so she was done with it. I always try and remind myself that I tried tons of sports and the one I was best at I didn't even start until 8th grade.

Even here in a ski town we've taken the no pressure approach to skiing, as long as it's fun they can do it. So far haven't shown any interest in racing, which is fine with us. Unfortunately living in a ski town next to the mountain doesn't make kids alpine programs any cheaper, although AVSC is still cheaper than Vail I hear.

Welcome to parenthood and walking the line between pushing your kids too much or not enough. Keep your head up, we're all walking the same line.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Well, she does love it (though I think that's largely because she loves the social aspect). And I'm not dragging her to it, she definitely wants to go (and telling her we might not next year should be a motivator for her to step it up, at least that's the hope). And I don't give a darn about her results, I really don't. She could finish DFL every race as far as I'm concerned.

But I am concerned with the fact that her skiing seems to be regressing, if anything, not improving. She's not gotten one bit faster this year, she's as slow and tentative now as she was on her first day. And she's got 15+ days in this year. It just doesn't seem like she pushes herself at all, not in freeskiing and not in races, and that's what bothers me.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo View Post
    Welcome to parenthood and walking the line between pushing your kids too much or not enough. Keep your head up, we're all walking the same line.
    Thanks. This is definitely something that I am struggling with a lot right now, it's really bumming me out. I don't want to be the asshole parent yelling at their kid to do better at some sport. But I also know that there's a lot of life lessons and satisfaction from working hard at something, and paying all this money just so she can have some social time with friends and ski a bit is a hard pill to swallow.

It just doesn't seem like she pushes herself at all, not in freeskiing and not in races, and that's what bothers me.
    Maybe pushing her skiing just isn't her thing. Could just be how she's wired. Not everybody has a long-term pursuit for the perfect turn. Some (like my wife, for example), like to get out for a few runs with friends and do see it as more of a social thing than anything else. Pushing for more speed in racing also carries with it more danger, thanks to the speed. That could be an element as well.

My mindset is to encourage my kids to connect skiing with fun. But they have a lot of say in how the things are connected.

Well, she does love it (though I think that's largely because she loves the social aspect). And I'm not dragging her to it, she definitely wants to go (and telling her we might not next year should be a motivator for her to step it up, at least that's the hope). And I don't give a darn about her results, I really don't. She could finish DFL every race as far as I'm concerned.

But I am concerned with the fact that her skiing seems to be regressing, if anything, not improving. She's not gotten one bit faster this year, she's as slow and tentative now as she was on her first day. And she's got 15+ days in this year. It just doesn't seem like she pushes herself at all, not in freeskiing and not in races, and that's what bothers me.

Did you ask her coaches what they think? Everyone has their speed limit when it comes to skiing. My 6yo daughter tells me "turning is boring" and so far has the chops to back it. Her 8yo sister with two extra years of practice sounds more like your daughter, loves skiing but even following friends doesn't really try and "push it" to keep up and is just more hesitant some times, same with my wife who can ski anything around here, just at her own pace. Just because your daughter hasn't discovered the joy of going mach looney down an icy groomer yet doesn't mean it won't come, and it doesn't have to come from a race program either if she gets tired of it.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    Maybe pushing her skiing just isn't her thing. Could just be how she's wired. Not everybody has a long-term pursuit for the perfect turn. Some (like my wife, for example), like to get out for a few runs with friends and do see it as more of a social thing than anything else. Pushing for more speed in racing also carries with it more danger, thanks to the speed. That could be an element as well.

My mindset is to encourage my kids to connect skiing with fun. But they have a lot of say in how the things are connected.
    Totally get that, and we have always worked at connecting skiing with fun (and still do). And she chose ski racing, she asked to do it, we didn't push her into it. And she chose it because she liked chasing gates, she liked racing, she liked going fast and competing. Maybe she doesn't now, don't really know (wish I did).

And if she just wants to approach skiing as a fun activity with friends, I'm cool with that. But I also don't want or need to spend 2 grand just so she can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo View Post
    Did you ask her coaches what they think? Everyone has their speed limit when it comes to skiing. My 6yo daughter tells me "turning is boring" and so far has the chops to back it. Her 8yo sister with two extra years of practice sounds more like your daughter, loves skiing but even following friends doesn't really try and "push it" to keep up and is just more hesitant some times, same with my wife who can ski anything around here, just at her own pace. Just because your daughter hasn't discovered the joy of going mach looney down an icy groomer yet doesn't mean it won't come, and it doesn't have to come from a race program either if she gets tired of it.
    I have asked her coaches, haven't really gotten much help (her main coach and I talk about it regularly but she doesn't know the answer). And she used to be faster, that's what is so frustrating! And I really don't care if she's a ski racer or not (I wasn't, I became a skier as an adult). I just want her to love skiing and get joy out of it. But I also want there to be some point to having her in a ski racing program; right now it feels like I pay a shitton so that she can ski with a bunch of kids every Sunday.

Thanks all for the input.

My kid raced for a few years and really didn't like it. He loved skiing with me.

Racing is a good background and makes great skiers, but its not the end all be all. There are other paths to becoming a great skier.

Try an all-mountain/freeride program next year if racing isn't her thing. I coach the junior all mountain team at Loveland on saturdays. My kid is on the regular all mountain team and is now having the time of his life. He is making friends that are destined to become life-long friends. Several of the other dads (and one mom) and I have taken them on hut trips, ski trips to other ski areas and backcountry ski trips outside of the team.

The all mountain programs get lots of kids that are burned out on/don't like racing these programs often rekindle their love of the sport.

Thing is, she isn't burned out, and she really likes the program, and gets really bummed when she doesn't do well in races.

As near as I can tell, she WANTS to be a ski racer (if she didn't, I wouldn't be posting this here).

Ski racing is certainly not for everyone - some kids hate the repetition and the discipline and will choose to gravitate elsewhere, and some kids love it but suck at it.
    My girls are a bit older (11 & 13) but they both just love ski racing and are really dedicated. I think its taught them both a lot about other life skills - responsibility, preparation, taking care of your gear etc. They are both working really hard this year and results are coming - the 11 yr old has won damn near everything shes entered this year and the 13 yr old just qualified for Rocky Central champs. I keep telling them the results don’t matter, what matters is them having fun and putting in the effort. Every year we talk about the time and commitment and whether they want to keep going - so far the universal answer is yes.
    The part that bums me out though is not getting to freeski with them as much as I’d like but when i do I’m blown away - they rip!

[/anti-stoke]
    Sometimes I find the unrelenting positivity of my fellow parents oppressive. For example, it's okay to admit that your kids' 4th grade class music recital was abjectly terrible, and not even in a cute, amusing way.

I've now got my second kid in a race program. The first kid did it for four years, from 7 to 11. She was good and podiumed sometimes but not a ton. She mostly liked it but wasn't crazy about all the 7 a.m. practices. As for me, I started off pretty fired up about it. I spent money on decent (albeit used) gear, invested in good race tunes, and attended races with enthusiasm. But, after a while, I lost that enthusiasm. Race days, I realized, suck. YMMV, but in Tahoe, they involved (a) getting to the resort by 8 a.m., (b) waiting, (c) watching 30 seconds of your child skiing, (d) checking the internet often to see how your child did, (e) more waiting, (f) still more waiting, (g) repeat for the second run, and (h) wait for the medal ceremony. All in all, they tend to be all day affairs that involve little skiing. Add to that the time and money involved, and I began losing enthusiasm during her third season. By the end of the fourth season, I didn't encourage her to race the next season but didn't actively dissuade her either. It was her choice, and when she chose not to race, I was a little relieved.

With that said, I am blown away with how good a skier she is. She has a superb foundation and was a better skier at 11 than I was at 20. I give all credit to her experience in the race program. We've been backcountry skiing together for the last year and, as a parent, that has been far more rewarding than ski racing ever was.

The second kid is now 10 and in his second year of racing. He usually finishes in the top quarter but hasn't podiumed yet. His technique is also much rougher than my daughter's was at the same age. Whenever I see him skiing with the rest of the team, he's the kid that's trying to hit every stupid, unsafe jump he can find. He kind of likes race team but I get the sense that he doesn't care that much about the races themselves. I'd kind of like to keep him in the race program for another year so that his technique improves but I'm also interested in moving him to a freeride team so that he can both stay motivated and still get organized instruction. If he suddenly develops a great enthusiasm for racing that stretches into his teens, I'll continue to support him (but I'll be secretly bummed about the cost and time-suck involved).

Anyhow, I'm not really giving advice, just relaying my own perspective and experience. Good luck, Danno!

As a corollary to the blah blah, here are some photos from the last year of my now 12-13 year old in the bc (Shasta, Tahoe, and the Eastern Sierra). I love getting out with her.

Name:  64273902_10156141549481237_3735377750760882176_o.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  106.5 KB

Name:  64333403_10156141549586237_1792916187701575680_o.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  121.4 KB

Name:  54730455_10155951788661237_7405358577126211584_n.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  63.3 KB

Name:  IMG_3761.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  107.8 KB