Page 10 of 110 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Would you keep her on lucky bums or move onto real skis and boots at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    It gets to a point you just have to wait till they develop more. There is only so much you can do when they are two depending on the kid I think. Get a harness not for the ropes but for the handle on the back for lifting him or her on to the lift, off the ground, carrying them when they are tired.
    ^^This.

My oldest didn't start till he was 3yrs 1 month, and even then, that whole first year was pretty much me holding him between my legs on the bunny hill (my back still hurts from that). He just didn't really have the leg strength to do it himself. The next year I'd hold my ski pole out to the side and he'd hold onto it like a handlebar (hockey sticks work well for this, too) After a few days of that he announced that he didn't need help anymore. Then it was go time. Since then, his rate of progress has been exponential.

In terms of Lucky Bums vs real skis, IMHO, it doesn't really matter too much at that age. Sure real skis would probably be better, but you'll probably be starting from zero next year anyways, so I wouldn't drop coin on a set just yet. Then again, if you have access to a free/cheap set up, go for it.

father son storm day

AC - Super cool pic of you and E. Congrats to L for capturing a really special moment.

Wow, some sweet shots guys!

Just spent 4 days in Telluride with my 2.5 year old daughter. Grabbed her at 2pm everyday and we alternated between chair 1, 4, 10 and the magic carpet. Haven't used the harness but didn't on our oldest either but she started to make pizza turns on her own by the last day. I reinforced clapping her hands and then putting them on her knees to keep her forward...baby steps but its working.

Vine vids:

https://vine.co/v/M7tDmiuPduW

https://vine.co/v/M7h3lmPPHLq

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    father son storm day

Rad

^^^ Rad x 2

Especially with little ones ...the time on the lift, the conversations, are as big a part of skiing as the actual skiing.

Great moment captured!

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    uglymoney, i love how she's scoping her line and the chairlift audience is waiting for her to hit it

Quote Originally Posted by telebobski View Post
    AC - Super cool pic of you and E. Congrats to L for capturing a really special moment.
    thx telebobski! i'll tell her

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    love the stuffy...you know how to keep her happy!

uglymoney, i love how she's scoping her line and the chairlift audience is waiting for her to hit it
    Ha! I know and the pic is representative which is why I really dig it. She turns heads and gets tons of hoots and hollers and chairlift line accolades. Kids really brings out the awesome in lots of people.

father son storm day

Wall hanger.

She's 16, but she's my 'kid'.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8846.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	594.8 KB 
ID:	151292  

First chairlift ride! the Galloping Goose!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chairlift 2.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	787.5 KB 
ID:	151293

Name:	Chairlift.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	709.5 KB 
ID:	151294
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Right on Danno!
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Her "skier stance" as we barreled down the slope was awesome. She still needs to learn how to stop and/or turn, in fact she still needs to learn that she needs to learn those things, she's not even aware of it. But she has the balance/stance thing down!
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Our 5 year old has really taken off this year. Here he is last week on about 2-4" of fluff. So much fun to ski with these days.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nvbh...ature=youtu.be

right on!

Eaglecrest stoke. Best little ski area in the world.

here's young Owen racing at DR last weekend. 5th place Under 10 division. 7 year old beating the 8,9,10 year old kids.

Name:	IMG_3175.JPG 
Views:	141 
Size:	152.0 KB 
ID:	151435

Gogogogo Owen!

^^ some excellent kid stoke all over!

the 4 year old is really getting after it. we hit up brighton a lot and he's skiing off great western, milly, snakecreek etc and loves the steep slopes, trees and of course, anything he can launch himself off of. he kept looking over the edge of that marked off little cliff and on the 3rd pass, he went for it... almost made it down the lookers left area but his left ski nicked a rock, double eject and a triple somersault which resulted in loud cheers. was pretty comical.

Logan had day 19 today at 2.5 years old. Made his first top to bottom run at Vail. So proud of little man!
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

^^^ that's amazing. Is he skiing on his own or using you for support? Congrats!

My girl is just 2 and we've had her out at Copper's bunny slope 7 times...she "skis" with us holding her hands, but she relies on us too much. Next step is to get her to balance more on her own.

omg this thread is awesome. I am finally in a place to participate...almost. Our daughter is 17 months old and already she loves to sled and goes down a slight hill by herself - I push her at one end and Legoskier catches her.

The SnowShow - what kind of skis do you have for a 2 year old? And boots? I will have to check the threads on used gear for kids and do my research but thought I'd ask.
    bc-lovah

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    ^^^ that's amazing. Is he skiing on his own or using you for support? Congrats!

My girl is just 2 and we've had her out at Copper's bunny slope 7 times...she "skis" with us holding her hands, but she relies on us too much. Next step is to get her to balance more on her own.
    We use a product called hook ease with him. Lets us stay in control without pulling him in the backseat. He goes on his own but we can stop and steer when we need to
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

My 11 year old stepson at JH this past week.

MS: Nice, I'll check it out.

DiveGirl: We have her on lucky bums still, with north face snow boots. Will be getting her into real gear a few times before the end of the season. For your 18 month old, try the Lucky Bums. They are great for that age, just to get them out and used to having something strapped to their feet.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Next step is to get her to balance more on her own.
    what worked for us getting my son to let go and stand on his own was offering a big open arm hug a few yards down the hill that he skied into
    you obviously need two adults to make it happen, but it was very successful