Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ski Bumming VT

Ski Bumming VT

Hi kids. Haven't been posting in a long long time but I knew this was the right place to go for help with this one...

For February vacation 2/18-2/24 I'm going to take my 15 and 13 year old sons on a ski bum tour of VT. Thinking about renting a small RV and storm chasing (hopefully) or just hitting the resorts on their list to see since they have never been to VT skiing. Right now the list looks like this:

Jay Peak
    Stow
    Mad River
    Sugarbush

Others on the list are:

Magic Mt.
    Killington

So, what can the Maggots tell me about places to stay and park the RV for overnights at or near the resorts above? Trying to make this as ski bum a trip as possible for further indoctrination of their young minds to the lifestyle of skiing.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Peace,
    Fresh Tracks are the ultimate graffitti.
    Schmear

Set forth the pattern to succeed.
    Sam Kavanagh

Friends of Tuckerman Ravine

Your planning to much to really be showing them a 'bum' lifestyle.

Wing it.
    Live Free or Die

I wouldn't limit yourself to VT if you are storm chasing. Consider the 'daks, NH, ME, wherever the snow is falling. Just book the RV and keep an eye on the weather report as it gets close.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Your planning to much to really be showing them a 'bum' lifestyle.

Wing it.
    I understand your point, but I think it's a little different with kids that are that young. I'd like to have some sort of idea where to crash at these places if possible depending on where the conditions dictate. Also, I think it's good for them to see that there is a network of like minded bums out there willing to help out a brother...
    Schmear

Sam Kavanagh

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I wouldn't limit yourself to VT if you are storm chasing. Consider the 'daks, NH, ME, wherever the snow is falling. Just book the RV and keep an eye on the weather report as it gets close.
    Yet another good point, but we ski all over ME and NH already and they are intrigued with VT.
    Schmear

Sam Kavanagh

strongly consider Smugglers' Notch. its on the other side of Stowe, with similar terrain, and cheaper tickets.
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

If i was a betting man you could probably stay in the upper lot at magic for the night..........good luck wish i had a dad that cool back in the day
    always forward but never straight

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker/boarder View Post
    If i was a betting man you could probably stay in the upper lot at magic for the night..........good luck wish i had a dad that cool back in the day
    ^^^ This. Check in with the mtn before you park, but I'm pretty sure Magic would be cool with it. Not sure what Smuggs policy is, but the upper lot there would also be a pretty good spot to park/camp.

Depends on your needs and how small the RV is. What MTBB said, unless you need H20/ electrical hookups, maybe call a few camp grounds in selected areas and see if they are open that time of year for a backup plan. 9 outta 10 times you can find an obscure corner of the lot to park overnite, especially if you pull in after dark.
    Silent....but shredly.

Quote Originally Posted by mtskier View Post
    strongly consider Smugglers' Notch. its on the other side of Stowe, with similar terrain, and cheaper tickets.
    +1 Best Terrain in VT imo. I live here as well if you want to meet up

I can check on the RV for you, but I dont think the upper lot would be an issue or just park at the 108 lot, that is definitely not an issue and is adjacent to the upper lot.

Dude I'm sure we can find you some fun in BTV if you want. Just PM me when you are around.

Scratch Killington and replace with Pico. You can park across the street from Inn at Long Trail free; just ask McGrath as you're buying a Guiness...be sure to tell him about your ski bum trip with the kids too...he'll love it!

As far as Stowe, I got a place for you to park for a night.

If price isn't too huge an issue, I'd definitely stick with Stowe over Smuggs. If you're in town for just one day the difference isn't all that much, and if you sre skiing mostly piste (safe assumption?), there's a good chance that Stowe will be better just based on lifts / snowmaking / grooming etcetera. If you guys are doing BC though, then all bets are off... Smuggs is pretty sick You get what you pay for on the front side though, and you'll have to do the numbers to figure our what you want.

Have fun Mr. FIS Namesource!!!
    "Whenever I get a massage, I ALWAYS request a dude." -lionelhutz

"You can't shave off stupid." -lionelhutz

"I was hoping for ice." -lionelhutz

"It's simple science." -lionelhutz

Burke if the trees are in. Actually, most of this list will suck if the trees aren't in.

Sweet, we have an LH and GP sighting here! Post up some goddamn weather and photo stoke on this thread already, ECRC is still having a marathon intervention of some sort.
    Silent....but shredly.

When I picked up my pass to The Bush. I mentioned something about camping in the lot. They told me to park over at Mt. Ellen and I would be fine. You could prob even find an outlet outside on one of the buildings if you needed to use some 120v. Give a heads up if you go there you may see my jeep in the lot.

When I was that age (a little older) skiing with the maggots at Magic was awesome. Ducking ropes, skiing thinly covered trees and having an awesome time with new and old friends.

Go to Magic and ski with the maggots.
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Burke if the trees are in. Actually, most of this list will suck if the trees aren't in.
    This is very true I think most of on the EC use qualify a resort based on its tree skiing. Smuggs and Burke certainly arent known for their fine grooming, although smuggs is the number 1 family mountain in America FWIW. You can also park you camper at my place if you end up coming this way.

And Aaron is right, for your south vt leg look no further than Magic, the skiing and people cannot be beat. Wish there were two, one for north vt and one for south.

Love the Maggots.

Sent from my XT603 using TGR Forums
    Schmear

Sam Kavanagh

Killington is only worth doing if there's a big dump and it's mid-week. Even then, if you don't have someone show you the real goods, it isn't worth it. There's lots of guys on here that know it far better than me...I'm a follower.

Nothing in SoVt compares to Magic when the snow is good...no better vibe anywhere.

I don't have much advise, but sounds like an awesome trip. Would love to try something like that w my kids someday.
    northern lights and southern comfort...

Jay shouldn't be a problem i have slept in the parking lot more than a few times after driving up late at night.

+1 for smuggs, skiied there last year, had so much fun in the woods and off piste. you could probably sleep in the upper lot no problem. great people there. screw stowe, buncha rich frenchcanadiannnns.

i skied burke for a couple season not too long ago. great trees, but about half as much snow as other NoVT areas. but it might be interesting with that newfangled lift they got going on. i heard new runs opening too.

If you visit the Bush pm me, I'll tour you around. Can probably get you hooked up[not hookers, 120v,unless you want them].
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Can't really go wrong with any of the mountains in Northern VT and Magic in the south. When you are on your trip and run into bad weather with wind holds and such. Look to Burke to be spinning summit lifts when everything else is dangling in the wind. Also if you are skiing on a weekend day, Burke will get you out of the crowds.

Burke's lowest lot may let you park the RV there. I know they let a lot of snow machine trailers park there.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Based on the way this season is going that's why I'd really give Stowe a go... It's one of the nicest ski areas when the BC is beat (or bare). Groooming, lifts and snowmaking really are great, and the southerly exposure is great when most ski areas in VT are in the shade on the north faces of their mountains. The only other that compares is Sugarbush, but Stowe is a touch better IMO due to the lengthier primary fall line on Mansfield the pistes follow.

I forgot to mention before, but it'd also be good to get the kids some history... Maybe an afternoon at the Ski museum, and then a Friday night at Cochran's? There's some deal going around for $10 for a family of four. I'll try to dig it up for you.
    "Whenever I get a massage, I ALWAYS request a dude." -lionelhutz

"You can't shave off stupid." -lionelhutz

"I was hoping for ice." -lionelhutz

"It's simple science." -lionelhutz